Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Affordable long range long rifle scope recommendations...?

5K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  KindOldMan 
#1 ·
By affordable I'm thinking a cap of $200 or so, and by long range I mean 100 plus.
Its unlikely I'll have much opportunity to shoot past that. Magnification TBD but probably 16X max. A scope with a lot of internal adjustment would be a bonus. Weight is not a consideration.

I would like crisp glass to make up a little for my old eyes.
Just as importantly I'd like to try a good smart reticle, with the "crosshair" the right size to use on 8" targets at 200.

This is simply for fun, not even for training on a centerfire.

#33 · (Edited)
I'm an all-Leupold man myself but bought one of these Muellers to shoot at 25 yards when the need suddenly arose (this was before I found a Leupold 36 BR D that filled that occasional short-range need). I still use the Mueller, however, as my "musical chairs" scope. It has been on many of my rifles for testing when I was concerned about buggering up a nicer scope with ring marks from constant swapping out...although still no ring marks on the Mueller :D. Kind of hard to imagine anything much better for the $140 or so I paid for mine. I don't need no stinking "trendy" side focus...actually prefer the AO. $169 all day long:

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-8-5-25/dp/B000GT857U

TBR

#35 ·
Thanks guys

I'm just getting interested in tactical glass (strictly a sporting guy before this), and I'm getting an education!
Please keep the recommendations coming.

As an aside, I finally got through to Savage CS today and I'm going to be swapping my rifle for a new one (mine has misaligned scope mount holes) so I have some time to sort this out. And save $$$.

#36 ·
Also - Al & JTJ: I figure that you're both right. And I'm willing to give the Hammers a try. Nothing to lose really.

Of course, if I follow Al's logic to the end its a Vudoo and some kind of $$$$$ March or Huskemaw setup. Then I gotta fly out tho the Eley tunnel in Texas to hand pick a lot (then buy it ALL), and then shoot, shoot, shoot until I'm good enough to be a sufficient "fire control unit" for said equipment.

Wait....

That sounds pretty cool....

Yeah! That sounds really cool......!!!

I should do that!

Except for writing the check. That parts a little rough..... ha ha!

#38 ·
Exit pupil is something to consider. I have the Mueller 8x32x44. The exit pupil will be 1.375mm at 32x.

If your pupil is, say 5mm, eye position will be critical to get the small exit pupil centered into your pupil. If you are not centered there will be lots of black out areas.

If you go with say a 10x50 you get a 5mm exit pupil that matches your eye and makes eye position a lot less critical.

That is the trade off.

#39 ·
As others have mentioned, hard to beat vortex Crossfire in that price range. The mueller are also great glass for the money. I’ve heard the bad but have zero complaints of mine. Crossfire also makes a 6-24 crossfire but it’s going to be out of your budget. May be able to find something used in the classifieds on here or the other place I won’t mention...

#43 ·
If your goal is to ring 8" steel @ 200yds, you can't beat a used Mueller 40x56, IMHO.

I have picked up 2 used 40x56 Mueller's in the last 3 months for $200 - one on Ebay and one from a forum member. $200 seems to be the going rate for a used one in great shape. My last one had the 3" sunshade, large wheel for parallax, and bikini covers. Looked flawless with only very light ring marks.

Very fine crosshairs with a center dot that is 1/8" @ 100yds. and 1/4" @ 200yds. 50" of adjustment @ 100yds, 20yds min parallax.

Put it in some tall 30mm rings and have plenty of internal adjustment to reach 200 yds and beyond. Shooting white 8" steel @ 200yds is a piece of cake.

just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.