Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Affordable long range long rifle scope recommendations...?

5K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  KindOldMan 
#1 ·
By affordable I'm thinking a cap of $200 or so, and by long range I mean 100 plus.
Its unlikely I'll have much opportunity to shoot past that. Magnification TBD but probably 16X max. A scope with a lot of internal adjustment would be a bonus. Weight is not a consideration.

I would like crisp glass to make up a little for my old eyes.
Just as importantly I'd like to try a good smart reticle, with the "crosshair" the right size to use on 8" targets at 200.

This is simply for fun, not even for training on a centerfire.

#4 ·
If your going to be shooting at 100+ yards you really would probably be better off with more than 16× magnification. The Vortex Crossfire II 6-18× is a pretty decent scope that you can find for under $200. Still a little underpowered for shooting at those distances, but if that's the type of magnification you want it's your scope.

#5 ·
Rats. I was hoping to get something like the Pride Fowler rapid reticle (tops out at 12X). Japanese glass, probably assembled somewhere else (Pac rim).
I think that reticle makes a lot of sense for a bum like me. But I was thinking that the magnification was low. Looks like its too low.

Does anyone know if a reticle similar to this?

Attachments

#8 ·
That is a tall order you have and a lot of boxes to check for $200. I really doubt you will find what you want at the price point you stated. There is a scope that checks all but one of your boxes but if you are willing to make concessions and adapt you will have a scope that will bring you continued fun at shooting 100+ yards.

It is the Bushnell banner scope https://www.bushnell.com/riflescopes/banner/banner-6-24x40-riflescope/BU-616244.html

For $159 this has parallax adjustment, the magnification you ask for, and a mil-dot reticle that you could use as a bdc reticle for long distances. What it does not have is the internal adjustment you want but with a 20 moa rail it can easily get you to 200 yards without you having to use the mil-dot reticle as a bdc reticle.

#10 ·
Thanks guys. Ill be looking into these.

1dogtown - I have a Japanese Tasco World Class fixed 24X with fine target dot.
Its a good scope but better suited to centerfire - its really too long for a rimfire action, and the AO only comes down to 50 yards.

Plus I would like to try something like the Pride Fowler reticle.

#12 ·
scope

I would be suprised if the reticle you mentioned, actually has yardage lines that match your rifles impacts. I would bet the 100yard line would give you impacts 3-4" off. Several of us are using the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6x24 with a christmas tree reticle. Then just keep a dope card that tells you what drops are at various distances. ie. 100 yards is 7 moa if you have a 50 yard zero, just use the 7 holdover line. Works great. If you want to use HV ammo, you can develop another dope card.

#13 ·
Genuine question, absolutely no judgment on budgets or financial situations or otherwise.

Do 200$ Current production scopes dial correctly and consistently? Are they usable in the high power ranges?

It is absolutely amazing how good tech is now, but a scope that's over 16x tope end, clear enough for old eyes and has turrets good enough for consistent use of internal range seems like a lot to ask of 200$. Not saying it cant be done, and I'm open for honest feedback.

#15 ·
Comfisherman - you are on the money with your question, especially since so much of it is just rebranded Chinese stuff that two companies (at least) need to make their profit on.

I figure that I'm gonna need to break the $200 mark, but I really dont want to crack $300. I'm hoping to ID a few different candidates and wait for a sale, or for a member to sell a good used one.

#22 ·
Did that last night, and saw lots of interesting stuff that was sold out. Not surprised, just need to keep an eye out.

I did order one of the Viridian scopes (from the basic Eos line - the 4.5-14x50 AO) though, and I'm hoping some company plant didnt pen all the 5 star reviews on Amazon. ha ha!

I intend to use it on one rimfire or another, maybe even try it first on the Mark II TR.
It will most likely find a home on a 10-22 though. I think the Savage will successfully make the case for a more serious scope.

#23 ·
So, I'm searching the net for any clearance sales etc, when I remember tossing some Chinese "tactical" scope into the takeoff scope bin.
Turns out its a Hammers 8-32x56 SF IR faux tactical model. Mildot reticle but with 1/8" turrets. Nifty pop-up to adjust, push-down to lock turrets that feel very good.
Side focus duals down to 10 yards. The grass under the neighbors little solar lawn lights looks great

Its no Burris, and I'll specifically need a set of 30mm Millett Angle Loks to mount it (my Mark II TR has mounting hole alignment issues. Until I machine it, I need the windage adjustment in the rings).

But its a freebie from a CZ 455 fluted varmint (really nice rifle) that I bought a year or two ago. Now it has a chance to be useful.

#28 ·
Whatsa matter - no one is excited about the Hammers scope for long range precision work...? ha ha

I will give it a try, as the Hammers airgun scopes are surprisingly good for small money and actually hold up to springer airgun use. But I'm still looking for a good buy on something better.

#31 ·
In your price range, I like the Burris FullField E1 Riflescope 6.5-20x50mm or the Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO. Ideally, even more magnification would be better, but not if the glass isn't good. Both of these scopes are pretty high quality for this price point and I think the better glass outweighs the power difference from, say 24x.

Both are Adjustable Objective scopes so I think there is probably some savings because they don't have the trendy side-focus knob. Parallax adjustment on the Burris is good from 50 yards and beyond. The Vortex will focus down to 10 yds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.