Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Scope problem

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Toomany22s 
#1 ·
I built a custom 10/22 with a stripped Ruger 10/22 receiver using a Ruger bolt, KSA 20" bull barrel, Ruger standard scope mount, BX trigger, Magpul X-22 stock, and a Nikon P Series Rimfire Tactical MKS-MOA scope. Gun drove tacks <1" group at 100yds, I could dial out the scope to 200 yards easy with elevation to spare and used it for Silhouette Competition.

Cut to the chase the gun constantly jammed loading the first round and bolt would stick, destroyed alot of Wolf and Eley ammo in competition. Called Ruger, sent in the receiver, bolt, and standard trigger. Ruger called me back said they were going to replace the receiver which they said was defective.

So I got the new receiver and reassembled my gun, after mounting the scope and resetting it to optical zero, I max out the elevation at 50 yards and still 12 inches under the bullseye. I mounted and remount the the scope and my elevation is maxed out and low at 50 yard still. I could dial out to 200 no problems and had no shims, no 10/20 MOA rail, it was mounted flat on the standard Ruger rail that came with the rifle and standard Vortex Weaver type low scope rings.

Other than replacing the receiver I don't know what radically changed on the gun other than the receiver. After having plenty turret elevation out to 200 yards and now not even able to make 50 yards. I really do not want to use shims or MOA rail and not being able to shoot < 50 yards. Scope mounted naturally with low rings and standard base easily went from 25-200 just by dialing it in.

I don't know what to do at this point, I tried putting a Vortex scope to see and no luck still well below the bullseye at 50 yards with the turret maxed out. That scope dialed out to 200 easy on my Remington 541 no problems. So did the Nikon on my 541. I have 468 clicks total elevation top to bottom in the Nikon and 368 top to bottom in the Vortex. I have optically zeroed and remounted the scope several times. I have tore apart the gun several times reinstalled the barrel, played with the torque on the takedown screw, tried a pressure pad under the barrel, I can't get no elevation back.

I am kinda stuck and can't shoot any Silhouette matches with it as I can't even get to 50. Any ideas are greatly appeciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
I guess I was extremely lucky when I built the gun with the barrel not drooping when I fitted it to the old receiver. I noticed when I mated the barrel to the new receiver it inserted very easily.

I found the adjustable vblocks on the web and Ebay. There seems to be a variety of adjustable vblocks but not sure who is the best.

How do these work? I am not turning up any info on Youtube on installing and adjusting.

#8 ·
25 inch lbs. vs. 10-12 inch lbs = Droop no matter how ya wanna sugar coat it... Indeed that is operator error. = FARMER TIGHT.
The beauty of the Gunsmither Block is there is absolutely no chance of droop.. and will correct some fitment slop without pulling the barrel downward in a tug-of-war like the V-Block.. the more you torque the V-Block the more droop you will have (that is inherent with the design)... so while I agree the OEM V-Block was NOT designed for droop it sure is capable/probable... sugar coated;)

#11 ·
So like i said pull yours apart , reassemble, dont over tighten., see if it works better.

As for the adjustable,non gunsmither blocks, slip in place like the vblock and turn push screw so it pushes barrel up tighten big screws a little , tighten push screw a little , repeat.

This really isnt too hard to solve.

#9 ·
at a price point that wont break the bank

I have found this scope to work well in CMP Service Rifle Matches and .22 LR Matches. Its a Primary Arms Classic Series 1-4x24mm SFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated Duplex Dot. It tracks well and it's dead-on once you get your zero set.

The Classic Series™ proves that entry-level optics don't have to be poor quality optics. Unlike some other brands, we don't use the word "value" as a euphemism for "junk". Classic Series scopes are perfect for the budget conscious and the new shooter. We take the time to 100% inspect every product in our facility here in Houston to ensure you are receiving the best quality product as our other three tiers. These scopes are backed by the same excellent customer service and support as all other Primary Arms products.

The Primary Arms 1-4x24 illuminated scope features a duplex center dot reticle. Eye relief is a generous 3.5-4.9" depending on magnification. The brightness knob to the left side of the tube illuminates the center dot through 12 brightness settings. This durable optic is waterproof, fully multicoated, and fog-resistant, with a 1-year warranty. Turret caps cover finger adjustable ½ MOA per-click windage and elevation knobs. An adjustable ocular ensures the reticle is sharp for your eyes. This tough scope is waterproof, fog resistant, and covered by a 1-year warranty. MSRP $140.00

:t

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.