Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Any fans of low power variable scopes on 22lr

8K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  iron85 
#1 ·
Thought about using a lpvo on my T1x . Since I love the stability of zero Magnification of my red dot under 50 yards and I shoot no more then 150-200 yards with 22lr. I’m thinking 4-6x on the top end should be enough to hit 3 inch targets at those distances

Anyone with a lpvo want to share their experiences

#4 · (Edited)
Most here seem inclined to put as much glass on their .22 field rifles as possible, and, if that flips their respective switches, who am I to object? I actually have tried to champion the use of slim, trim scopes that match slim, trim rifles, so, your question was a refreshing one.

The old adage has been, "You can't hit what you can't see," but "can't see" is a pretty broad description. Any legitimate field target within .22 LR range is certainly visible through even a 4x scope...most can see a squirrel at 150 yards even with their naked eyes. Keep in mind I suffer from keratoconus, which means cone-shaped corneas that leave my vision very blurred without hard contacts, so I run on the very poor side of visual acuity. Still, I would say another adage might be, "Just because you can see it (with your 36X scope on a 6 lbs. sporter), doesn't mean you should try to shoot." In other words, being able to see it doesn't always mean you can hit it, even though the view may tempt you to try.

Now, for shooting targets or load testing from the bench, I also like 24x-36x scopes, but they are mounted on my sporters only temporarily. For permanent use, I love the objective-bell-less Leupold 1.5-5x scope, because it does not interfere with balance, it looks great, and is usually enough in the field. I sometimes put a booster lens on mine to get it to the 2-7x range, and some should be corrected for parallax at rimfire ranges. I also really like the Leupold 3-9x33 EFR, which is parallax correctable at even 15'(!), but that would be on the high side for my tastes on a .22 LR for field shooting. If someone wants to go for a 4-12x or a 4.5-14x scope on a .22 for the field, fine; at least it can be cranked down to the lowest setting. Too, for shooting PDs, sage rats, or other small live targets from a bench with a rimfire, I also recommend a higher magnification scope because the rifle will be fired from a very solid rest, not from shaky field positions.

Lately, I am putting 4.5-14X scopes on some of my centerfire sporters for varmint shooting, but they have a range out to 300 yards or so (.22 Hornet, .218 Bee, and some .17 and .22 wildcats). Again, the effective range is 3 times that of a .22 LR.

A new hobby of shooting sporters from the bench purely for shooting small groups seems to have developed recently. I also love the pursuit of accuracy in sporters, but it just seems to me a very large scope ruins the balance and lines on a sleek sporter designed and crafted to incorporate those lines and that balance. It's kind of like putting large truck tires on a Ferrari; possibly effective for occasional snow, but it should hardly be considered a permanent fixture.

So, that's my rant. All please feel free to dump on me at will.

TBR

#5 · (Edited)
Many,Many Beers ago 3-9 was ALL the scope I needed w/ a 4-12 thrown in my target shooting and Varmit rifle carried a 16X Leupold

As I now am on the Sunny side of the 70's I require more powr most of my go to rifles have either 4-16 /4-24 even on my 22's

When Bench shooting I use the higher powr and often a 36--my go to scope for years was the Older Jap 6-24 World Class w/the Dot still have quite a few that are rock solid the 8-32 in the same scope seemed to loose a lot of clarity above 26-28 powr

I DO NOT like the Busy reticle's although some of the BDC style and a couple of the X-Mas Tree reticle's are fine--Can't see any reason for a MIL-DOT scope on a Squirrel rife

Scopes are kinda like the guy that kissed the Cow on the Butt =each 2 his own taste

Jim

#7 ·
Single shot is carrying a 4x32. Takedown is carrying a 1.5-4x20. RAR is carrying 3-9x40. I did have 1.5-6x44 scopes on 2 S&W 15-22 rifles and went to red dots but I may put the scope back on mine. The scopes are sighted in and on quick release rings if I want to put them back on. My 10-22 QBD has a red dot but may get a 4x32. The 10-22 is carrying a 2-7x32.
I tried shooting irons and red dots at 50 yards today.:( I need a scope. 4x seems to be a good all around magnification if you are not into precision shooting.

#12 ·
I use the 2-7 Leupolds VX1 with paralax adjusted. Really like those scopes. I also have a VX freedom 2-7 rimfire with the BDC type reticle. Don't like the reticle. Also have 2-7 Vortex Crossfire which I don't like as much as Leupold but ain't have bad for the price.

I shoot only from a bench. It took a little while but I do think I could get better groups now with a stronger scope. But I only compete with myself and for now still like the challenge.

#14 ·
3-9 or in some cases 4-12 AO. Don’t need too much, but my eyesight has deteriorated as I’ve aged (near 70).

I always liked the 3-9 AO EFR but the eye box is too critical. Got a 3-9 Freedom rimfire on my ULA now, should work pretty well for squirrels.

I loved the Leupold 6X Compact AO....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.