Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Help me make a choice

744 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rhill 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I have a 45 degree moa rail , and cant figure out if i will be able to zero at 100 yards with either of them.
That's a LOT on the rail. How far are you going to be shooting this thing?

The 8-34x56 claims 45 MOA of total elevation adjustment, whereas the 6-24x50 claims 60 MOA of total elevation adjustment.

I would not recommend the 8-34x56. You'll likely have to bottom it out (or nearly so) if you're going to zero at 100 yards.

I live in the world of Mils now, so I have to go and look up the MOA with a calculator.

According to this random, totally accurate that was the 2nd result with a quick google, calculator, a 338 lapua GMM round requires 45.75 MOA of elevation change at 1,800 yards.

My better question is this: let's assume for the moment that your goal is to shoot out to 2,000 yards. Why not just use a 30 MOA rail, and thereby allow yourself the ability to get the scope with the greater magnification (that you'll need to see your target 2,000 yards away)?

Assuming that you're only going to be shooting 1,000 yards, you'll need 19.72 MOA worth of adjustment from a 100 yard zero. You could do that with a 0 MOA rail. 20 MOA would make more sense, though.

#3 ·
Yes a zero or a 10 or 20 moa rail would suffice with either scope. The rifle comes with this rail

One site says 40 moa https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-APR338.aspx&usg=AOvVaw0KQN6C0S0oOByxZx8mPQMF

I saw one that said 45 moa, but i cant find it again.

My 308 APR has the same rail, and the scope is 60 moa of adjustment, and it zeroed at 100 easily.

So i dont think it is 40 moa. Ive got an email out to them asking for clarification.

Needless to say replacing the rail might be as expensive as buying the Schmidt & Bender Scope made for this rifle.

#4 ·
Well i found a scope with 80 moa, so i should be able to zero at 100 yards. Annill have 80 moa to get out there.

Its a Crimson Trace, 2 Series 6-24x56mm,FFP. MR1-MOA. I get free batteries for life:bthumb: It has great reviews, and I figure, maybe they are trying To break into the scope market, and are trying really hard. Plus its a 34mm tube, and thats the size rings the gun comes with.

I tried to buy The ADE Chinese one i have on the 308,
4x448x65 but it seems to have jumped $1000 in price,

I wanted a ffp scope, so i could use the reticle hash marrk. at any magnification. Its only a 6x 24 , so i hope that’s enough magnification.

Its not a luxury scope, which is what this gun deserves, but it should do the trick. Im probably not even going to shoot this gun more than 100 rounds .The $5 per round cost is killing me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.