Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

price of night vision scopes

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  TommyIreland 
#1 ·
Hi all,for a while now I have been contemplating on getting myself a night vision scope,nothing mad that will break the bank,something on the style of a budget scope,
So I searched the web looking for a nice cheap scope to start off with,[something I can put on my CZ .17 hmr],checked out the local gun shops in Ireland,have to say some night scopes I would need to take out a second mortgage to buy one,i will go back first explain what I want it for.

Here in Ireland we don't have big game like most of you have in the U S of A,we have deer which we have a season on and you need a 243 and up to shoot them,next we have fox which are classed as vermin so you can if you want shoot them al year round,i don't I like them to breed as everything is entitled to breed,and it would be killing my own sport shooting all year round,farmers in Ireland might beg to differ with me but that's my opinion,next we have rabbit which fall into the same category at the fox and then we have hare which I rearly shoot as I keep a few long dogs and like to see them give this running machine a run for their money,on the feathered kind we have pheasant duck and pigeon,season on most,

so searching the web a lot of night scopes are a little expensive for my liking so during my surfing I came across a sightmark wraith day and night hd digital vision scope,i searched the web and youtube and watched most videos on it,a lot of great reviews on it,everyone had a good thing to say about it,and a good price as well,

Now the price,in the states it sells for 499 dollars,for nothing in my book,it runs about 435 euro in irish currency ,which is a bargin,but they don't export this outside their country,which is bad news for me,now I found one in the united kingdom,but the price it a bit higher,599 sterling which is 658 euros,and last but not least I find one of these scopes in Ireland,down the south of Ireland,and a whooping price of 725 euros,which runs to 854 dollars,a differance of 355 dollars more than in the states, but sadly we have tax on everything,so that explains why every thing is so expensive here,
I understand why most tourists call good oul Ireland, RIP OF IRELAND ,haha,
but its not the end of the world just yet so will keep looking and maybe just maybe I will get a scope like this one just to start out with,

See less See more
#5 ·
It does.
"EXPORT REGULATIONS
Export of night vision equipment and optical sighting equipment (including user manuals) is controlled either by the U.S. Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, in accordance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Title 22, and Code of Federal Regulations Part 120-130 orthe U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security, in accordance with the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), Title 15, Code of Federal Regulations Part 730-774."

#6 ·
Well Lads,i checked amazon,no they wont ship it to Ireland,the gas thing is I can go from southern Ireland to Northern Ireland,[over the border] that separates Ireland from the UK,and I can buy one over the counter in most gun shops,they are a hell of a bit more expensive than in the united states,499 dollars in the states,599 sterling in England.284 dollars of a difference,but I am determined in getting one so will have to work the extra few hours to get one,

#8 ·
I watched the whole video,its not that bad at all,only thing is that I don't about it is,you don't look into the scope to watch your target,your looking at the screen,i think that takes the fun out of shooting,but saying that I can get it over to me on amazon,and I might just buy it and stick it on my .22.

#9 ·
Well lads,i am now the proud owner of a Sightmark Wraith 4-32x50 hd digital day and night vision scope,i went up north of Ireland [100 miles from my home] last week and bought one over the counter,i paid 599 sterling [uk pounds] which in us dollars would be roughly 785 dollar.a big difference of roughly 286,any way I have it now,so mounted it onto my CZ.17 hmr.using my new dovetail to picatinny rail adaptor,all went fairly well setting it up,so away I go last week to try it our,getting to understand it was easy,everything is digital on it,and the one shot zero is brilliant,i used maybe 3 shots using it,the first shot was to find where my first shot went and the second and third shot was just to fine tune it,so its a inch over at 100 yards,good for at least 150 yards plus,
have to say lads the view with the day time on this scope is like watching tv,the images are crystal clear or every better.great for zooming in on a subject,tried it out on a few bunnies at 100 yards and it works a treat,spent a few hours target shooting at cans,loved it,

Then it was my turn for a bit of night time shooting,a flick of a buttom and it switches from day to night vision,using the ir light I was able to pick out cattle and sheep out to 300 yards,and the picture were very clear,rabbits were as if they were in front of me at 100 yards,had it set on 16x power,set it back to 8x power as I think that's about good enough for shooting at 100 yards,i picked up a nice dog fox out at about 350 yards,gave a few calls and he come a running,it got to one stage I had to shout to get him to stop out around 80 yards,a nice head shot,a instance kill,the 17 grain bullet done some damage,was picking rabbits off at anything between 20 yards to 100 yards,all head shots,so lads I am really impressed with this scope,brought spare 18650 batteries and triple aaa batteries with me but didn't need to change any on either the scope or ir light,i think it will last all night if you switch on when you need it and switch off when you don't,that way you save on power,

as I am a newbie to this night time shooting with a night vision scope I have to say I am really impressed with my new Wraith scope,never thought it would be so good and exciting ,so am looking forward to my next nights shooting experience.

#11 · (Edited)
I have eyed some of the Sightmark ones and watched reviews what people thought of them. Most are pretty good reviews for them being digital and not true infra red. A digital is all I could afford too. 1500.00+ true infra red ones are far out of my financial means for sure.. But I do think the quality of the digital ones will continue to improve, they have already since being put out there.

They must a little higher over there. They are like 489.00 US over here.

#15 ·
John,i have a 64g card that I was using in my dash cam in my car,so I will switch it over when I need to,they are not that expensive on amazon,so if need be I will get one,

I am only getting used to the scope so I will play around with it some night and see how the video works on it .

#16 ·
Yeah, they take some getting used to. Bad thing about just about any night vision is lack of depth perception, especially at night!
Have you played with the different reticles? If you have, which ones have worked best for you? I started with the 3 sided crosshair with dot, but went to one of the ones with graduations, helps with determining range a lot and thus negating the lack of depth perception.

#17 · (Edited)
Yes john I played with all the reticles,i do like the three sides with the dot in the center, or the crosshair with the circle in the middle,
the ir light I find is good,i can see out to 300 yards,but very clear out to 200 yards which is good enough for me,people might need a better ir light if they were shooting bigger game at longer distance,but as a novice starting off I think its brilliant,i also installed a long reach mount for better eye relief,which is good,i am really happy with it,the view through the scope in daytime is supper clear,and a joy to zoom in and out with,so a happy camper.my night vision scope is a perment ficture on my .17 hmr so don't need a quick release mount,its on it for good,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.