Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

CZ 527 American .17 Hornet - scope suggestions

12K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Timboon78 
#1 ·
Trying to find a scope for my CZ 527 American .17 Hornet.
Recreation shooting. Want to make sure it bolt will clear. Thanks

#2 ·
Your scope choice would depend on how much you are willing to spend. I have a Weaver 3 to 9 power X 40 m/m mounted on my Ruger 77/.22 Hornet. The scope is fine but if you want a little more expensive scope you might consider a Leupold VX-1 3-9X40 m/m scope or a Nikon. Got a 3-9X40 m/m on my CZ 527 LUX in .222 Remington which works fine and is very clear.

#3 ·
For recreation I want a lot more power than for hunting. I also get pickier about the reticle (ideally will have hashmarks synched to the turrets). Speaking of which I sure like target turrets for recreational shooting, capped are fine for hunting, perhaps even preferred.

If you could be a little more specific about the features you want people could give you specific suggestions. Obviously, I just suggested ideas on what features you might want.

#4 ·
A lot of folks around here are partial to the weaver v16 or v24 scopes. Myself included as I have 2 v24's. Not sure what your budget is but another nice option right now is is the weaver grand slam 5x20. An amazing scope that several members here have picked up recently and are singing its praises. Signalman just put together this package with GS 5x20 on a 527 and it looks amazing! :t Search for his posts or he'll probably be along in a bit with a pic or two for you.

#7 ·
LVMatt sir the CZ 527 rifles come with factory rings that are .550" high which for the most part are plenty high enough for almost any scope you want...there are other brand of rings that are a little lower such as Burris and Leupold and both of those are .500" and then there is the Calhoon and (Tally or Warne can't remember which) that are .425" tall. I am using the Burris 420140 rings on both of my 527s (222 and 22 Hornet).

With the newer CZ rifles with the lower bolt throw you can mount any scope you like on your rifle without any problems. The more important thing is the reticle you choose for your rifle...there are hundreds of them out there.

I would pick the reticle over the brand or magnification you want...if the reticle is wrong for your needs than no amount of magnification or how clear the scope is going to change that. Pick the correct reticle for you is huge in you being happy with what will work for you.

I have my favorites like The Weaver Varminter, Ballistic X and the Varmint EBX reticle. In the last 6 months or so I have bought some that really rock my world. Here is one of them.

this is Sreyem's photo of the Varmint EBX reticle

Weaver makes two scopes with this reticle a 4-16x and a 5-20x both are Grand Slam scopes and I have both of them. The 4-16x is short (11") for my 452 FS rifles so it will fit behind the Tangent sights and the 5-20x is only 13.5" which is 1/2" shorter than my V-16s and V-24s. I love both of these reticles because of the floating dot. The 4-16x reticle is just a hair thinner than the 5-20x...the 4-16x is perfect for rim fire caliber and the 5-20x is the right choice for center fire cartridges in my opinion.

Here are my two 527s 222 in back with a Weaver 4-20x Super Slam EBX and 22 Hornet with Weaver 5-20x Grand Slam Varmint EBX reticles.

Here are my FS: 452 with GS 4-16x Varmint EBX in back and 455 w/ V-16 Ballistic X reticle in front both rifles are magnums.

There are plenty of great reticles out there so choose wisely...this just what I like...so...

Good luck on your quest :bthumb:

Signalman :mad::):D

#9 ·
I'm a fan of magnification as long as the optics are clear, so I'd tend to go on up into the 20 or 24X range on the top end for a gun like that. That said, I have a Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 on my 527 American. I LOVE the scope and I like it on that gun. To my eyes, this scope is better than $400 street-price scopes from Leupold, Nikon, Sightron, or Vortex. After buying the first one, I bought three more because of how much I liked it. I wish the magnification went higher but I'm content to live with the limitations of 14X in order to have the clarity and "suits my eyes" benefits that this scope provides me.

The rings that I'm using are an unknown brand but very well made set that came with a 527 FS that I bought used (I figured out the brand once but now don't recall what they are). They are slightly lower than CZ rings and the bolt handle (the old-style handle on this 2010 model gun, not the new low-profile one) not only clears the scope, but does so in a way that allows you to access the knob without using your fingertips.

#10 ·
Thank you!

Thank you all so much for your input!

I'll be strictly using it for target shooting. That said, I can't imagine shooting much beyond 150yds (just because I don't want to walk much further than that to set up targets) although, of course, it would be nice to be able to go further on occasion.

I'm looking at scopes with a max price of ~$400. I can't see paying much more.

I had read about a bunch of (probably standard) issues people had: bolt handle clearance problems, ring problems, not being able to get a good cheek weld due to scope placement, etc. I'm just trying to avoid all these issues if someone has precisely which rings & scope combination that they particularly love.

Am I right that the scope & rings my CZ 527 American .17 Hornet should be the same as someone with a different version of the CZ 527?

#11 ·
Sir all the Factory scope rings for the 527 rifles are all the same set of rings. The only difference is when the rifle was made with how high the bolt throw is...the new ones are fine...CZ offers the new style of bolt for the older rifles. There are only a few options like Leupold, Burris, Warne and Talley I think. There are only .500" or .425" heights to play with other than .550" factory rings. I would love if someone made a set that was .400" I could use one about .385" or so.

Good luck on your quest. :bthumb:

#12 ·
Thank you Signalman!

Signalman,
Thank you for all your help! I just bought the Grand Slam 5-20x from Natchez as you suggested - love the reticle. Would you suggest I get the (Calhoon/Talley/Warne) .425" rings - would the GS fit a bit more snug?
Thanks again for all your help!

#13 ·
Signalman,
Thank you for all your help! I just bought the Grand Slam 5-20x from Natchez as you suggested - love the reticle. Would you suggest I get the (Calhoon/Talley/Warne) .425" rings - would the GS fit a bit more snug?
Thanks again for all your help!
No problem at all and yes you should not have any problems at all I will measure when I get home and report how much clearance my scope has...after you get it all together would you please post some pictures of your rifle and scope set up. :D

#16 ·
Last question...for now

As for the rings, I can only see these options that might be the .425" seat height:

Calhoon Hunker Mounts (".125 inches lower than factory")
OR
Warne 14B1 30mm Medium Rings

I don't see anything that says .425" seat height on either of these. Maybe it's neither of these.

Thanks again!

#17 ·
LVMatt sir those are the ones I was talking about the factory rings are .550" high at the scope seat height and the Calhoon's are .125" lower which are the .425" and would be great for your rifle...besides if you do get those I could see what they look like after you post some nice pictures of your rifle/scope set up.

Good luck on your quest...and congrats on your new rifle. :bthumb:

#19 ·
Matt I'm awaiting those pics of your finished product :)

Signalman I'm still undecided but the 5x20 GS with the reticle you posted does look good.

I like the idea of illuminated but unfortuanely I'm yet to find a scope that ticks all boxes.

Good price ( without being excessive )
High magnification
Fine uncluttered reticle
50mm
Potentially illuminated

I like the 4A reticle Nightforce offer in SHV™ 5-20x56, this states Europe only. I'm from Australia so I'm unsure if available here and also concerns about the large front end on the scope with clearance and cheek weld.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.