Olympia magazine - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:46 AM
roysha

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Interesting that my cut was in the wrong place. To determine the location I put a thin spacer between the magazines (PM21 and OEM 5 round), to make them parallel, pushed the tops of the magazines against a block of wood then used the slot of the OEM magazine to locate the position of the slot on the PM21. Apparently I screwed up.

If you can't use it perhaps vinco is still interested.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:34 PM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe, in a week or two.

I want to try some live ammo first to see if the magazine will stay in place when pushed up, and to get an idea of how much the front cut will make a difference to decide if I want to continue with mine or leave it like it is.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:07 PM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I added a washer to the right side of the second magazine, and it fed the dummy rounds okay from its lower locked-in position.

Maybe removing the lateral play is more important than the height of the magazine in order to chamber properly.

Might get the chance to shoot again this coming weekend and compare magazines with live ammo.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:09 PM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Roysha,

What did you use to cut the front of your magazine? I may try that next. I think a cutting wheel would be too sloppy. Angled stone? How did you keep it in the center of the magazine?

I took your magazine out today. With 5 rounds, I had no problems shooting with your magazine using your lock location.

With 6 rounds, I would have to push the magazine up against the ejector to chamber the first round, but I could then fire the other 5 with the magazine dropped back down into the locked position.

More than six rounds required holding the magazine pushed up until the 6th had chambered, and then I could let it come down to shoot the last 5.

All of this was from loading the magazine into an open bolt. I suspect I could have used a closed bolt if I had only 5 rounds loaded.

Using my magazine, I could still shoot 7 from an open bolt, as long as the top bullet was pointing upwards when loaded. I want to try notching mine to see if I can load 8 reliably.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:21 PM
roysha

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I used a chain saw sharpening bit in my Foredom grinder, because I had one that appeared to be about the right diameter. I use the so-called, diamond burrs that I buy off ebay for $5-6.00 or so for a pack of five. They work for a lot of odds jobs. I have a regular chain grinder so have never used them for that purpose.

I ground the "smile" part pretty much just by eyeball using an Optivisor Magnifier. I didn't think that it was as critical as the catch notch so didn't go to any great lengths to make it perfect. I assumed it was more for clearance then anything and that, close, would be probably good enough. That was also the impression I got from the posters on the Beretta forum where I found the suggestion for using the PM21 magazine.

Last edited by roysha; 06-07-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:53 PM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I cut a groove in the front of my magazine and tried to get it to where it lines up with the feed ramp on the barrel.

Comparing it to Roysha's and especially a factory magazine, my cut is not very wide or deep.

I also noticed that the factory magazines have a groove in the follower that is deep and wide at the back and tapers down towards the front. I think this was to prevent the rounds from nose diving. If the rim is in this valley, the first bullet and all the ones on top of it will want to angle upwards.

I tried to create a groove in the 21A follower, but there is not as much to work with since they are thinner than the factory magazines. I think this is probably more important than the size of the notch at the front.

With dummy rounds, cutting the front did not seem to make any difference.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:04 PM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The front groove and/or the follower profiling now let me shoot 8 rounds out of my magazine reliably, but I still have to make sure the top round is nose-up when I chamber it.

I do not think cutting the front down any more is going to accomplish anything. If the bullet is nose-down, it will still hit the front of the magazine or the bottom of the feed ramp and not move. I think this is more inherent to the magazine itself. Changing the angle of the follower might help, but the cross-screw is going to allow it to come up only so far. Lowering the back end too much may mean having the rim lower than the bolt.

So, at the very least, I have two 5-round magazines. At best, I have an 8-round and a 6-round magazine. It was fun to experiment but I don't think I'll be doing any other magazines.

For anyone wanting to try this, I would fire a few magazines' worth of ammo while holding the magazine all the way up against the ejector, and let the rifle scribe its own line of where to cut the magazine catch. Start a smidge below that line for your taper, and have the real cut be just above it. Try the front cut and follower as you see fit.

Hope this helps. Post your results.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:00 AM
06sandstone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ebay? https://www.ebay.com/itm/25462770840...84.m1555.l2649
Old 06-18-2020, 10:53 AM
roysha

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I clicked on the provided ebay link and proceeded to peruse the rest of the Olympia magazine offerings. STUPID expensive!

However, I did note something in one of the offerings. This was a photo of 10 magazines with what appeared to be two different top ends. On a couple of them the rear feed lips, were longer and the front potion, forward of the gap in the top of the magazine, was shaped differently from the others. Would this be a design "upgrade" or just a variable from one magazine manufacturer to another? Sure seems like it would affect the functioning, one way or another.

I don't think that much variation would come under the heading of manufacturing tolerance so I wonder if this would have some bearing on the adaptation of the PM21 magazine.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:29 PM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, those multi-magazine auctions are priced PER MAGAZINE.

Very deceptive without reading the description.

It does appear that the magazines with the more defined groove have a little more upward tilt to them.

The linked auction is a good price at the moment, but I'm sure it will go up. The magazines for that seller are in very good condition. He has 2 listed at $90 with a buy-it-now option. I bet he's hoping the two auction-only magazines get that high.

The guy on Gunbroker has them at $48/$60 each still.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:45 AM
kadima
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

The Great Remains of the Republic of Pisa
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These work in an Olympia:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/categor...ii-sa-clip-fed
Old 06-26-2020, 08:17 AM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kadima

Did you have to modify these at all? Looking at pictures on Numrich and Gunbroker, it looks like you possibly would have to file down the bump on the front of the magazine.

There are also several listed on Ebay as well, but Numrich looks like the best price.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:19 AM
kadima
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

The Great Remains of the Republic of Pisa
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The bump in the front is standard on all Olimpia magazines.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:12 AM
cuervo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For all the tweaking I did on my 21A magazine recently, I never looked that closely at the original magazines to notice.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:31 PM
TheMoff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FWIW Triple K have just shipped me a couple of magazines I had on pre-order from last year. I guess they finally had enough interest to do a production run.