Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:54 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Small Lightweight Youth Pistol?

Hey Gang- I'm looking to acquire a small grip sized semi auto pistol in .22LR to train my kids in pistol shooting. My son and daughter are 11 and 9, my daughter especially has small hands. They have both shot my S&W 622, which is lightweight and perfect for my son, but still a bit large in the grip for my daughter.
I was thinking about a Ruger 22/45, but still concerned about grip size.

Anyone have any suggestions for a .22 pistola for the little lady?

Any info will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

DrGunner
Old 07-29-2017, 12:35 AM
weblance

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Rossi Princess
S&W 317 with 2 finger grip
Taurus PLY-22
Ruger SR22P with the small grip module
Beretta Bobcat
S&W 2213/14
Walther TPH
Walther PPK/S
Bersa Thunder
Old 07-29-2017, 01:16 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblance View Post
Rossi Princess
S&W 317 with 2 finger grip
Taurus PLY-22
Ruger SR22P with the small grip module
Beretta Bobcat
S&W 2213/14
Walther TPH
Walther PPK/S
Bersa Thunder
Thank you, Sir- I'll check those out. Looking to get the most accurate semi auto we can find.

I was also looking at the Sig Sauer P250-22 Nitron, the S&W M&P22 compact and the American Tactical GSG 922 which is German made, but I need to get her to a shop and get hands on these to make an appropriate decision.
The Sig has interchangeable modular grips, which is a feature my wife's Walther P99 has that she really likes.

https://www.americantactical.us/5148/detail.html

I appreciate the list- keep the suggestions coming, folks!

DrGunner
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2017, 07:53 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
My kids were able to operate my Ruger Mk II at a younger age. Using a rest/bag for safety (KMK512 is *heavy* for a young'un) but they were able to safely operate trigger, safety, bolt. Had to help with the mag release.

At the age yours are, I'd bet they can handle MOST standard size 22 pistols... here's a pic of my oldest (just turned 17) shooting a GSG 1911-22 when she was 11... and she's short and has smaller hands (has had to really stretch to play cello...)

Old 07-29-2017, 11:26 AM
chicharrones
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Ruger 22/45 with molded in grip panels has a pretty small circumference. The Beretta Neos feels even smaller around the grip than the 22/45.

As mentioned, the Bersa Thunder .22 has a nice small grip that should be easy to grow into.

Last edited by chicharrones; 07-29-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: detail
Old 07-29-2017, 11:28 AM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If revolvers are on the table, there is always the Ruger Bearcat.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:53 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
My kids were able to operate my Ruger Mk II at a younger age. Using a rest/bag for safety (KMK512 is *heavy* for a young'un) but they were able to safely operate trigger, safety, bolt. Had to help with the mag release.

At the age yours are, I'd bet they can handle MOST standard size 22 pistols... here's a pic of my oldest (just turned 17) shooting a GSG 1911-22 when she was 11... and she's short and has smaller hands (has had to really stretch to play cello...)

I have had my daughter try my Buckmark Countour URX- the URX with the finger groove grips was even on the large side for her, plus mine is a 7.25" barrel model so it was WAY too front heavy for her. Alyssa is petite, her mother is literally just a tad over 5' tall, and she has very small hands.

The only pistol in my safe that she has actually been able to shoot was my S&W 622. We tried my Springfield XDS on for size, and it was a GREAT fit.

I have to say I really like the ATI GSG 1911-22, but have concerns about the grip size... is it a full size 1911 frame?

And just out of curiosity, how would you describe/rate that pistol? As in accuracy, quality, fit & finish, reliability?

I like the idea of a Beavertail on any pistol that I buy for her, because I have HUGE hands and would like to be able to test fire the weapon for sighting in, etc but do not want to sacrifice my strong hand to slide bite in the process.

I've also had my MKIII Hunter to the range with the kids, and there's NO WAY she will shoot it in its current configuration because I have VQ laminated grips on it which are basically caveman size.

We do plan on going to a rather large gun shop sometime this weekend, hopefully they will have a GSG 191122 for her to get her hands on.

Thanx!

DrGunner
Old 07-29-2017, 12:00 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
my suggestion

Ruger SR22 with the grip panels
Old 07-29-2017, 12:03 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
The Ruger 22/45 with molded in grip panels has a pretty small circumference. The Beretta Neos feels even smaller around the grip than the 22/45.

As mentioned, the Bersa Thunder .22 has a nice small grip that should be easy to grow into.
Ya know, the 22/45 was on my short list when I started researching this, particularly the Lite model. I definitely would much prefer a fixed barrel with smaller blowback bolt such as the Rugers or Smith 2213/2214. I feel she would experience much less muzzle flip if she does not have a full slide cycling. That said, a full slide design might not be a bad idea in the long run as it will begin preparing her for centerfires.

I'll have her hold a 22/45 as well, although I think we will likely end up with a
Smith M&P 22 Compact or Sig P250-22 Compact.

Revolvers are not in the mix on this one. I will teach her to appreciate wheelguns later on- she wants a semi and so does her brother. However, I MIGHT be able to convince her to consider a 10 shot revolver when she realizes that she will not need to cock a slide. She has no problem racking my 622 but it is well broken in. An unfired M&P or Sig P250-22 might be somewhat stiff for her.

Edit- I LOVE my '82 Beretta 92FS, but have never liked the Neos, at all. A friend of mine has one, I've shot and stripped/cleaned his and I really don't care for the way it's made.

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 07-29-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:08 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
Ruger SR22 with the grip panels
I'll check it at the LGS, for sure.

Thanks-

DrGunner
Old 07-29-2017, 12:13 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
No one's mentioned the Browning 1911-22. At 85% scale it's perfect for smaller hands. Maybe a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 for long gun training too. The collapsible stock fits small to large frame shooters.

Frank

Last edited by LtCrunch; 10-25-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:18 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suggest the Ruger bearcat from Lipsey with adjustable sights. It is small, and simpler (ie safer) than a semi auto.

It is very similar to the recommendation for a single shot bolt like a chipmonk or even youth american as a size up for a first rifle.

Kid tend to be pretty hyper and a beginner should be encouraged to aim and make a shot count. This provides a nudge in that right direction for free. Plus again, the simplicity, the mechanics are out right out there to observe and learn. It not just pulling the trigger, but have an good intuition for what is going on.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:18 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Small Lightweight Youth Pistol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Hey Gang- I'm looking to acquire a small grip sized semi auto pistol in .22LR to train my kids in pistol shooting. My son and daughter are 11 and 9, my daughter especially has small hands. They have both shot my S&W 622, which is lightweight and perfect for my son, but still a bit large in the grip for my daughter.

I was thinking about a Ruger 22/45, but still concerned about grip size.

Anyone have any suggestions for a .22 pistola for the little lady?

Any info will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

DrGunner

Look at the browning 1911 .22lr pistol. It's a reduced scale of the full size that fits my wife's little hands perfectly.
Light light light weight to.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 07-29-2017, 03:41 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
No one's mentioned the Browning 1911-22. At 85% scale it's perfect for smaller hands. Maybe a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 for long gun training too. The collapsible stock fits small to large frame shooters.

Frank
Those look great.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:00 PM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 22LR.

This gun will teach the fundamentals of just about every slide action pistol on the planet in every caliber. That to me is most important.

Second choice is Ruger SR22

DR