Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:44 AM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reloading bench location

Next step in planning my hand loading setup: location. Refresher, I expect to load for accurate small bore rifle caliber(s), non-competitive shooter. I just bought a Rockchucker kit and Chargemaster Lite.

I have a large pole building with dirt floor and a small two-car garage attached to the house.

In the shed I have a roof and loads of space. But it's dusty, humid, and temperature is uncontrolled. It's not pleasant to work in most days.

I can bring this into the garage but space is at a premium there and I will be questioned on the wisdom of bringing flammable material into the house. A reloading bench in here will need to be very compact if not portable.

Thoughts please.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:46 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I would hesitate to leave powder and primers at minimum in an uncontrolled environment. Reloading equipment would at least need to be kept lubed with good rust preventer but definately take supplies in house. Just my opinion.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:29 AM
john300exc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While I sure it could be done, loading over a dirt floor would be a problem where I live. You are describing the side shed of my shop where I keep tractors, mowers etc. When I move one of these machines they stir up dust which coats everything under the roof. A strong wind accomplishes the same. As mentioned by "grg" you would need to have everything well lubed to prevent rust. This lube will end up holding dust which will be a big problem. You actually don't need a large space for a press, we just like to have a large space to spread out while reloading. If you can find a small solid surface to place the press, then using storable folding tables to provide extra space might work. Storing items in plastic tote containers for organization will help. I would also try to store powders and primers indoors but separate as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No basement?

Obviously, reloading takes some commitment. I've known a couple of guys that built a locked reloading room in their basement. Great idea. Another is to actually build a room on the back of the garage. Heat, A/C and humidity control matter and it's a good place to store powder outside the house.

Powder storage is important. Keep in mind that powder in factory containers won't explode but will burn fiercely until it is consumed.

I'm an old guy that lives alone in a one-bedroom apartment.
I reloaded 40 years ago but quit shooting for decades and sold off the stuff.
Shooting .22s has gotten me back into centerfire and I'm planning to start reloading again.
I'm considering two options: that $100 Harbor Freight workbench in the bedroom. It has drawers in the front so the press will have to be mounted along the side, or on a quick-change mount plate. https://www.harborfreight.com/48-in-...ght-60723.html
Or a $40-$50 metal cart from HF with lots of stuff to weigh it down. I could wheel the cart out to the living room or wherever. https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-...art-62179.html

Edit: Two more things...I'm not planning to reload any calibers that need a lot of force on the press. And HF always has 20% off coupons.

Last edited by Randy99CL; 10-18-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:03 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My press is bolted to the end of a 2x12 30 inches long.
Hangs on a nail in the garage until needed,
then is double clamped atop a counter top in the kitchen.
Trash can set underneath to catch debris.

Air conditioned and well lit with a comfortable chair while working.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:35 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many ways to go but clean and climate control are two very important things to consider. As for space required I have done all of my reloading using a B&D workmate and a press mounted on a board that could be clamped in the jaws. I now use a desk with drawers and the press bolted to the top.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Spare bedroom. Dillon 550B and Redding Boss press on Black & Decker Workmate 400.

≡✪≡
Old 10-18-2017, 12:39 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the feedback. I figured the consensus would be to keep it in the cleanest nicest location but I have better reasons why.

My house is a ranch on slab foundation, so no basement. This puts extra pressure on me consuming garage space, so the portable / stackable solutions are most interesting.

Funny that the B&D Workmate came up more than once. I was reading on the airgun yellow forum about how those are good shooting benches. Might be able to dual purpose one and win-win.

ETA: the bedrooms are carpeted so those rooms are a no-go. Also my garage is basically climate controlled.

David

Last edited by dgeesaman; 10-18-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeesaman View Post
ETA: the bedrooms are carpeted so those rooms are a no-go. Also my garage is basically climate controlled.
Mine is too, why is that a no-go? I just use one of those large plastic carpet covers used in offices so that you can easily roll your chair all over.

≡✪≡
Old 10-18-2017, 05:16 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
Mine is too, why is that a no-go? I just use one of those large plastic carpet covers used in offices so that you can easily roll your chair all over.
I donít have space alongside the bed for one of those. So thatís another issue, the spare rooms donít have any spare space. I think a compact and non permanent setup in my garage is the way to go.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
OK, I got it.

≡✪≡
Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Scuba1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I reload living on a boat. When I am done everything goes into a few tubs and gets stowed under my bunk. I clamp my press to the galley table using a bit of ply wood and a couple of clamps.
If you want it enough, its no big deal.FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited by Scuba1; 10-18-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I went with the 60" Harbor Freight workbench with drawers. It is the best loading bench I have ever had. One could be put on rollers easily and be moved out of the way. Rollers are available that lock with foot pressure. The drawers and shelf
underneath hold a lot of miscellaneous items.
FM
Old 10-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those Harbor Freight wood benches are $129 with a coupon right now.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:02 PM
gunsmith10367

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Compact reloading bench..........

If your space is limited and you're looking for a compact yet rugged reloading bench, check out rolling microwave carts at your local big box home center. The one I bought has 3"x3" legs with locking casters and a nice thick butcher block top. It has a small drawer and two adjustable shelves. I added a wood bar stool and a wood TV tray table for added space.