Anyone have precription BR shooting glasses? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:29 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Anyone have precription BR shooting glasses?

I use progressive lenses, like a lot of my middle aged friends. I wondered whether there is a known solution to the "front sight in focus, target blurry" issue I have these days?

Some folks seem to use just a pinhole (gives greater depth of field) that they afix to their glasses. But I find myself wondering whether there is an optical solution?

Any thoughts from the bi-focal/tri-focal crowd (other than short, pointed, Anglo Saxon words used to describe the aging process)?
Old 09-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
I use progressive lenses, like a lot of my middle aged friends. I wondered whether there is a known solution to the "front sight in focus, target blurry" issue I have these days?

Some folks seem to use just a pinhole (gives greater depth of field) that they afix to their glasses. But I find myself wondering whether there is an optical solution?

Any thoughts from the bi-focal/tri-focal crowd (other than short, pointed, Anglo Saxon words used to describe the aging process)?
I haven't tried to get a pair but heard glasses for computer work might be the answer. I use bi-focal glasses.

Lee
Old 09-01-2019, 10:07 PM
ltcnav
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wear trifocals, have astigmatism, and I am right handed and left eye dominant-all the negatives! First of all, only one thing will be in focus, no matter what you do. For handgunners, front sight sharp is the key.
I had my optomitrist write a prescription for a focal distance to the front sight of my handgun(actually measured from my eye to my front sight in my shooting position(usually isocoles). Had old aviator type oakleys, optomitrist sent frame and specs to the lab. Put the front sight correction on the top half of the lenses, and my distant correction on the bottom half.
Works pretty well. I used to have to look over my glasses to focus on front sight, now I can look directly at front sight and tilt up to see target.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 08:34 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Prescription glasses and obtaining the best target picture have long been an issue. Trying to find the best solution sometimes is like looking at a roadmap filled with twists and turns many of which lead to dead ends. Things were a bit easier years ago when many eye care professionals were also shooters, but today that just isn't the case. My optometrist that I used for many years just retired and I fear I will not find another as good as he was. Try to find an eye doctor that is also a shooter, or at least one that is open minded about the shooting sports and will listen to your needs and concerns. Guessing about what lenses may be okay for some, but it is still a guess at best. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to see a proper sight picture but not being able to see it clearly. Good luck!

Rick H.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Peep sights or scope use, or both and opens too?
Im 66, astigmatism, early cataracts and early stage glaucoma, worn glasses since early 20's, first sgl. vision but bifocals for a long time now. Tried progressive lenses, no joy, correction totally wrong place on the lens; ie, not where I look through when cheeked up. My lined bifocals are much better but I had to have them lower the line.
With glasses the scope ocular (and hopefully you have AO, made a Big diff for me) should allow you to tune in with clarity on the crosshairs and target.
With peeps and opens no correction Im aware of can do it. Interestingly for me is that I can accommodate opens now better than peeps. That is not to say my groups are great....I have Big Trouble finding my target through peeps, must use a very large rear aperture and close my off eye. I look through an egg shaped hole back there, too. I tend to shoot two separate groups on the same target especially when my eye gets tired. Not good for scores or sil hits.....
All this to say that there is a lot going on with eyeballs, the optic nerve and the way the brain interprets the signals. There may not be an easy, or cheap, fix.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:48 AM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Most of my rifle shooting is done with scopes (bench & off-hand). I tried many different types of glasses over the years and never found anything that would address all my needs . . . including working with computer screens. After (4) eye surgeries I chose a far-sighted lens for my Cataract surgeries and now have a bifocal with 1.75 readers in the bottom and very little correction on top. This gives me good vision downrange and readers to adjust scopes & sights. Basically, just use these glasses for shooting as I could not find a comfortable pair of shooting glasses.

A good doctor can give you a prescription for shooting so that front sight is clear. but I am not aware of anything that would give clear picture of both the front sight & target. It would also be hard to have both a pistol & rifle in the same setup. Maybe different glasses for pistol & rifle would address that. Not sure if the one eye nearsighted and the other eye farsighted would work as some people do.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:01 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exactly what ltcnav said! I'm nearsighted, trifocals, astigmatism, glaucoma, and left eye dominent/right handed. I've had an "occupational bifocal" placed in my right glasses lens. Think of it as an upside down bifocal slightly offset to the center of the glasses (the optical center of the bifocal lines up perfectly with my rifle sights when my head is in position on the rifle stock), with the bifocal set to my front sight which is about 28 inches from my eye. This is a little less strong than a normal reading bifocal, closer to the middle part of a trifocal.

I was shooting highpower and shot a lifetime low score so went to my doctor to see what he could do. After the specialty glasses I went back to the same match and shot a lifetime high score (at that time).
Old 09-25-2019, 05:00 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcnav View Post
I wear trifocals, have astigmatism, and I am right handed and left eye dominant-all the negatives! First of all, only one thing will be in focus, no matter what you do. For handgunners, front sight sharp is the key.
I had my optomitrist write a prescription for a focal distance to the front sight of my handgun(actually measured from my eye to my front sight in my shooting position(usually isocoles). Had old aviator type oakleys, optomitrist sent frame and specs to the lab. Put the front sight correction on the top half of the lenses, and my distant correction on the bottom half.
Works pretty well. I used to have to look over my glasses to focus on front sight, now I can look directly at front sight and tilt up to see target.
Hope this helps.
My optometrist calls them "carpenter's glasses". The top of the lens ground for close work the bottom for arms length. (or vise versa...what ever suits your fancy) If they won't let you bring your firearm to the office use a yard stick to measure from your eye to the front sight when you are in position.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:35 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would urge everyone to have an annual eye examination plus a test for glaucoma plus a hearing test. With glaucoma and NIHL, you donít know you have it until it affects you and then unfortunately itís too late. Glaucoma cannot currently be cured or prevented; good news is if identified early enough it can be controlled with eye drops and most people retain their sight.

I wear prescription glasses for tv/driving/shooting; not required for reading/PC work at the present TBTG. All the family get annual glaucoma tests as our dear mother had glaucoma and apparently it can be inherited through the female line of the family.

The eye pressure test for glaucoma is simple, painless and only takes a few minutes; not sure of the US but here in Europe most modern Opticianís would include the test as standard in an annual eye check.

Just my tuppence worth.

Giz
Old 09-26-2019, 11:50 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcnav View Post
...I had my optomitrist write a prescription for a focal distance to the front sight of my handgun...
That's what I did. I made a mockup of a gun with a screw to represent the front sight and took it to the eye exam.

When I had the prescription filled we carefully noted what part of the lens I would be looking through (upper left) and centered it there.

I don't shoot benchrest but the focal problems are the same.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:32 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I explained to my doctor what my problem was and what I wanted, and he came up with a prescription that works very well. Basically, it allows me to look through the top corners (as well as the top center) of my glasses and be able to see things clearly.....bottom is for close up work like reading.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:16 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had glasses made so that my right eye focused on the front sight while the left eys was at the distance prescription. Works very well for IDPA. Shoot with both eyes open. It helps if your opt. is a pistol shooter. It's hard to explain to a non shooter. They do understand distance, computer tho, sort of.