Value of Gun Digest (Annuals) Collection - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:39 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

"The "romance" of old gun reference books is dying."

I agree with a lot of what's been written, but not the above. I like reading, history, and guns; and a lot of what's been previously written is still accurate or at least a roadmap of how we arrived at today.

And some old reference books seem to be worth a lot by my standards. Some out of print books actually sell for hundreds of dollars.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:19 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The low prices are associated with magazines and pulp books. Like XX Digest. Fluff, sold cheap enough back in the day. And you can buy those cheep today, so; enjoy if that is your interest. Forget about resale. Maybe next decade 2120?

The real reference books, definitive works are bringing big dollars. Or good honest dollars at the least. Sharps Sellers, Mauser Ball , S&W Jenkins, 1903 Canfield, etc. I forget some authors, the potential list is very very long. Those are not a bunch of feel good stories or chit chat, quality research.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:41 PM
Whig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Took me quite a while but I have accumulated almost an entire collection of American Rifleman going back into the 20s. Amazing reading and the best is seeing the ads for military surplus rifles for next to nothing (in TODAY'S dollars!).

But, I love reading these old things and they are quite the resource if you collect.

I plan to keep these a few more years until I'm ready to "simplify" my life also!
Old 04-10-2021, 10:08 PM
Cold Bore
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post

"The "romance" of old gun reference books is dying."

I agree with a lot of what's been written, but not the above. I like reading, history, and guns; and a lot of what's been previously written is still accurate or at least a roadmap of how we arrived at today.
That was me that wrote that, and I'll still stand by it (I'm not responding because I took your response as a challenge or an argument, or took any offense to it, just to further explain my thoughts).

The generations that enjoyed that type of book are moving on, and the ones moving in behind us just aren't that interested in looking at a 1970's or 1980's hard copy reference, when they have "everything they need to know" on their phone.

And they don't care about "our" firearms, that were crafted of steel and wood, put together by craftsmen that spent years honing their skills. They want plastic and tacticool, mass produced with no soul. There's just not much interesting reading about that.

Quote:

And some old reference books seem to be worth a lot by my standards. Some out of print books actually sell for hundreds of dollars.
True, but those aren't the mass produced Gun Digests of the world.

I have a few of the more collectible references myself, and yes, they do have some value.

But I still maintain that Gun Digests, etc, just don't have any value, whether we like it or not.

If somebody wants to see where the market actually is, put them on eBay or GunBroker, let thousands (or millions) of people see them, and let them go for what they will. Wishing or hoping for anything else, just because they are nostalgic to some of us, is sadly just that, wishing.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:22 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a good point. Books by someone like Elmer Keith or limited edition out-of-print collector books like the Madis Winchester book or the like can be worth a lot of money.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:13 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
"And they don't care about "our" firearms, that were crafted of steel and wood, put together by craftsmen that spent years honing their skills. They want plastic and tacticool, mass produced with no soul. There's just not much interesting reading about that."

That's just what's in fashion now, and as Coco Chanel said, what's in fashion is what's going out of fashion. I don't claim to be able to predict the future, but I know thinking that the way something is now is the way it will always be has no historical basis.

It may or may not happen in my lifetime, but I am not the center of the universe. :-)

Last edited by Bullet Bob; 04-11-2021 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:49 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Probably worth about the same as my full 1980ís decade of Playboy. Not very much. It is quite the library of some beautiful women. Some well into their 60ís and 70ís now.
Playboys for $1,000 Alex!! hubba hubba!
Old 04-11-2021, 10:07 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whig View Post
Took me quite a while but I have accumulated almost an entire collection of American Rifleman going back into the 20s. Amazing reading and the best is seeing the ads for military surplus rifles for next to nothing (in TODAY'S dollars!).

But, I love reading these old things and they are quite the resource if you collect.

I plan to keep these a few more years until I'm ready to "simplify" my life also!
Nice collection.

I wish the NRA would scan and put all the American Rifleman magazines on the web for all NRA members to have access to.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:09 PM
Cold Bore
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:

That's just what's in fashion now, and as Coco Chanel said, what's in fashion is what's going out of fashion. I don't claim to be able to predict the future, but I know thinking that the way something is now is the way it will always be has no historical basis.
You're probably right.

The next generation just can't wait to get their hands on those old Springfields and Garands, and read all about them in the 1958 Gun Digest.

You win, I'm out.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:00 PM
Litetrigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I have been a few up to our range and leave them on a bench for free.