Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:42 AM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
RAR 8338 Accuracy expectations

Hey everyone, I have been looking at RAR's for a while, I really like the concept of Ruger making multiple rifles use the same magazines, and had heard good things about the RAR. I like the more compact version with the factory mounted scope rail as I have the American Ranch in 7.62x39 and the American Predator in .223, so I was easily sold on the RAR.

I just picked up a 8334 on Saturday, and immediately took it to the range. Didn't clean it or anything, put a Simmons 8 point 3-9x32 scope on it, and set to shooting some groups.

I started off with Aguila 40 grain plated round nose after I sighted it in, and usually I get pretty good groups with that ammo, and they were less than stellar, but I was still getting used to the rifle. I have a MTM front shooting rest and was just holding the butt steady in my shoulder. i am not the best target shooter, but I can get some pretty good groups usually.

After shooting maybe 100 rounds of a mix of CCI quiet, Aguila plated, winchester super X, I decided to try my last 3/4 of a box of CCI Standard velocity.

I was pleasantly surprised with it, my best groups fit under my thumb, and after measuring were about .65-.78 (roughly) at 50 yards, several of my groups all rounds were touching. Groups were pretty poor at 100yds actually, because I had about 15 MPH cross winds and I sighted the scope in at 50 yards...

The ironic thing is, I get about exactly the same size groups out of my Ruger Precision Rimfire and my 10/22 target model (I think like a 2004 vintage but I'm not 100% sure on the year...) when I shoot CCI standard velocity or Federal auto match.

I guess I wasn't expecting the groups to be as tight with this rifle as my Target or my Precision Rimfire- maybe I found the limits of the ammo and my shooting at 50 yards. I am not complaining, but wondering how much (if any) better I can get if I used a sled versus just a front rest, and how much better could I get with match ammo? I haven't been able to find ANY match ammo lately, so the best I have is federal auto match, and I am now out of CCI Standard Velocity.

Here is a picture of my target, let me know your thoughts. If this good? Can I expect better with better ammo?

Target RAR.png
Old 02-08-2021, 10:26 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Yours shoots better than mine. I have been trying to get a handle on some vertical stringing at 50 yards. Tried a bike inner tube under the barrel at the fore-end. Tried a shim where the barrel exits the receiver. No joy. I thought about building a "jaia"-style Fuglie test bed. But it is starting to feel like a lot of work on an inexpensive rifle. Nice shooting on yours!
Old 02-08-2021, 10:41 AM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Yours shoots better than mine. I have been trying to get a handle on some vertical stringing at 50 yards. Tried a bike inner tube under the barrel at the fore-end. Tried a shim where the barrel exits the receiver. No joy. I thought about building a "jaia"-style Fuglie test bed. But it is starting to feel like a lot of work on an inexpensive rifle. Nice shooting on yours!
Thanks! I am pretty happy with it, super glad I got it. I traded in a Raven P-25 towards it, and ended up paying about $290 out of pocket out the door for this, and it has like $12 "Sniper" rings on it, and a $40 Simmons scope. I am super happy with it so far.

What were you using for ammo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2021, 11:13 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I have tried a little bit of everything I have on hand: mid grade stuff like SK Match, Center-X, bulk stuff like CCI-SV, Federal Automatch. I really haven't found anything yet that shoots as good as the targets you posted. Mine is the stainless version, but I have put a borescope down the barrel and the lede, lands and grooves looked fine.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:41 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My stainless shoots like a laser but my blued would better serve as a tomato stake
Old 02-09-2021, 12:39 PM
Dranrab
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
My stainless shoots like a laser but my blued would better serve as a tomato stake
And that sums up Ruger in a few simple words.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:02 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab View Post
And that sums up Ruger in a few simple words.
That has not been my experience
Old 02-11-2021, 07:48 PM
topowell
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

North Missouri (hot in summer, cold in winter)
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You also asked about the difference between premium ammo and regular ammo in the American Rimfire. I have a compact RAR that I switched out the short stock for the longer one, and did such a comparison. The first two are targets I shot at 50 yards using some older Eley 10X that I had on hand and then some new CCI SV.

You can see that in my RAR the 10X shoots smaller and much more consistent groups than the CCI SV, though the 10X would not work through the magazine. I think the thick waxy coating caused them to stick rather than feed correctly. Maybe tightening the mag spring would fix that but I didn't shoot 10X enough to bother with it.

I've also include the target I shot at 100 yards with the 10X to show what it can do at that distance. I was impressed with the premium target ammo, but so far haven't wanted to spend the extra money to stock up on it. Of course that's a moot point right now anyway, as I'm saving the few rounds I have left till the shortage goes away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03-01-2020 04;40;47PM.JPG (100.1 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg 03-01-2020 04;42;50PM2.JPG (96.9 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg 03-01-2020 04;42;50PM.JPG (63.5 KB, 405 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 02:23 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My RAR std blued version shoots CCI Mini mags very well but strings std velocity vertically about an inch at 50 yards.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:44 PM
Bimmer74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_80 View Post
I decided to try my last 3/4 of a box of CCI Standard velocity.

I was pleasantly surprised with it, my best groups fit under my thumb, and after measuring were about .65-.78 (roughly) at 50 yards, several of my groups all rounds were touching. Groups were pretty poor at 100yds actually, because I had about 15 MPH cross winds and I sighted the scope in at 50 yards...

Is this good? Can I expect better with better ammo?
Yes, that's good... As good as mine shoots.

No, based on my experience, better ammo is just a waste of time.

I tried 20 or so different make/marks of ammo, and the best in terms of both accuracy and consistency was CCI SV.

If you want to spend more money to be more accurate, I think you need to buy a rifle with a Bentz or match chamber...
Old 02-14-2021, 03:04 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI standard shoot very well thru my RAR's, only trouble is the extraction gets sticky with the number of rounds fired. Needs more chamber cleaning to keep extracting, cleaning and care given to the extractor hook and movement helps.
slight improvement in accuracy and extraction CCI Green, Eely Club, Remington Eley Target, Match, Tenex, but the best shrinking average groups about 1/5 inch over the CCI standard is Lapua Center X. I'm lucky as this hold for my 2 RAR's and a Savage MK1 FVT, mostly same results. Pretty consistant 1/2 inch at 50 yards, inch+ at 100 thru all with an edge to the heavy barreled FVT and RAR Target.
KM
Old 02-17-2021, 01:16 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well, thanks for the votes of confidence everyone. Looks like I got a good one, and since I don't have any real target ammo, I will see what I can get out of the bulk I have.

I have a lot of Blazer lead round nose, a lot of 36 grain copper plated federal hollowpoint, a fair amount of Federal auto match, and a lot of lead and copper plated aguila. Other than that, a fair amount of CCI Mini Mags, lots of Winchester super X (bulk and in the 100 rd cases), and just some random stuff... quiet, shorts, etc.

I want to mod a couple mags for 22 short, seen a video on YT using PVC pipe to do it, I thought I saw someone made a follower or rotary piece for shorts, but not sure.

I'm looking forward to a lot of shooting with this gun. May even trade in my Precision rimfire if I can get my groups good enough with this. I don't know though
Old 02-17-2021, 05:24 PM
john the plinker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd be ecstatic if my RAR shot close to 1 moa. 1.5 is probably a good expectation. After all, it isn't a high dollar rifle, but very good for a relatively inexpensive one.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:01 AM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john the plinker View Post
I'd be ecstatic if my RAR shot close to 1 moa. 1.5 is probably a good expectation. After all, it isn't a high dollar rifle, but very good for a relatively inexpensive one.
I'm happy with mine, especially considering I am running a $40 Simmons 8 point scope. I am not one to put more money into scopes than rifles, and I won't change

I have had great luck with Simmons and centerpoint scopes on my rimfires. I like the mil dot reticle on the the centerpoints for rimfire, but sometimes for fine shooting, the skinny 8 point reticle works better
Old 05-02-2021, 09:46 AM
blsishtr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found that the front end of the stock is so flimsy that shooting with a bipod or a bag rest too far forward gives lousy accuracy. use your rest as far aft as possible or stiffen the front end of the stock. I use epoxy to fill the cavities in the stock front end. If you run out of CCI std. vel. try blazer if you can find any. It is made by CCI and gives me excellent accuracy.