Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Scope & Rings Suggestions for KKJ .22LR

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  iron85 
#1 · (Edited)
Scope & Rings Suggestions for KKJ .22LR/Photos Added

I would like to scope my Walther KKJ in .22LR. As it is a very slim and light rifle, I don't want to add a scope that is bulky or heavy. A straight 4X is fine, as long as it is parallax corrected for a .22.

- For the rings I am thinking Warne, Talley, Burris or Leupold. My considerations are minimum bulk and weight. I'll get the ones with 11mm dovetail mounting to attach to the grooves on the receiver. I also do not want to have to remove the rear or front sights on the rifle. As low as possible for the bolt to clear the scope of choice and not have the sights interfere is desired. Aluminum rings to save weight and not affect the fine balance of the rifle would be preferred although I think the Warne or Talley vertical split rings might be good. I won't be removing and reattaching the scope.

- For the scope, I am looking for trim & light to match the design and aesthetics of the rifle. I don't need a variable or something with a large objective bell requiring the use of high rings. 4X is fine. I don't want cheap junk.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

- Photos added 07/31/2020 below

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If you can find one, the older Burris 4X Mini RF/AR with adjustable objective are great scopes. For something newer, you're probably looking for something like a Weaver 4X rimfire.

FWIW, I have a vintage Kollmorgen Bear Cub 4X on my KKJ an am very happy with it

#3 ·
I've done some dumb stuff, but one of the dumbest was dropping a nice old Leupold Vari X III 1.5-5 onto my garage floor fumbling around trying to get it off a KKJ so I could work on the stock. I sent it back to Leupold and they're thinking about whether they want to fix it. So I put an old Weaver K2.5 on and sighted it's in temporarily. It has roughly the same profile as the old 1.5-5.

The pretty thing shoots great. (I sight all my 'squirrel guns' in at 40 yds and I set the parallax to that range.). I think this profile scope looks really good on the little KKJ.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks cyriltaylor. What height Warne rings did you choose, and is there any visible interference from the iron sights when looking through the scope ?

I do have an old Bushnell Banner .22 4X20mm, parallax corrected for 50 yards, gloss finish and made in Japan scope in excellent shape that I am considering using but don't know if the quality is really up to my KKJ. It does have a straight tube at the front like your Weaver.

#7 · (Edited)
The rings shown are medium height. Yes you see a ghost front sight if you look for it, at least in 2.5 magnification. Doesn’t bother me.

One consideration is shooting style...if you shoot with your head pushed forward (the scope mounted farther forward in the rings) you run a higher risk of interference from the rear sight. Note I shoot with my noggin as upright as I can get it it and my scopes all mount pretty far back comparatively speaking. I am 6’3” with long arms.

I have a couple old but serviceable scopes. I put a Leupold M8 4X 33mm objective in these rings, and it fit, but was so tight against the rear sight that a bikini scope cover wouldn’t fit. I like that scope a lot, but not as much as that Vari X iii, which has better glass (though a 20mm obj). I feel a scope has to have a cover better than an old sock. Note that a 33mm scope mounted further forward than mine would likely sit very close atop the sight and might not fit at all without going to high rings.

I despise high rings because I lose my cheek weld.

I also tried a K4 Weaver and a Redfield/Kollmorgen Bear Cub w/ similar results to the M8 (both also 33mm obj). I didn’t shoot with them, just slipped them into the rings and tightened a bit to see the view and determine if they were an option, since the rifle is fairly new to me. Both would work well. I lean towards old stuff that works well. The Weaver K’s, the M8 and the early Denver Redfields were excellent optics for their times and are still extremely serviceable and may be had in good condition for less than $200. The issue with all 3 is sitting so close to that rear sight.

Most wouldn’t consider a 2.5x scope these days, but most like to shoot at stuff way out there (like 70yds), which I respectfully consider a frivolous waste of good 22 ammunition (I shoot SK RM/Wolf MT in everything and it’s $7 a box.). At 60yds and under I don’t give up anything w a K2.5...unless it’s half dark (1948 lens and coatings technology/small obj lens) or letting it fog (not nitrogen flushed).

Hope that helps.

#9 · (Edited)
That is some beautiful wood on your KKJ iron85. I may go with the QD rings if I can find them. The Warne website says out of stock. Probably due to the shutdown and no production at the moment.

Does anyone know if the Talley rings for the CX 452 rifles which have a 11mm dovetail base will work ? The CZ receiver is a flat top and I don't know how well the Talley bases would mate up with the top of the KKJ receiver. I sure like how trim the Talley rings are.

I took my old Bushnell 4x20mm out on the porch yesterday afternoon and observed some gray squirrels running around across the street at ranges between about 35 yards to as much as about 100. It seemed to be better than I had remembered and with a good rest I'll bet I could make a shot out to 100 yards without much problem.

I don't understand the trend for people to put 2x7 or 3x9 scopes on a .22 unless it is a target rifle. 4X seems plenty for any ranges that one would attempt on a hunting rifle. I have an old Leupold M8 6X on my Kimber .22 Hornet and that seems just right for that cartridge too.

#10 ·
Thank you sir. I’d look on eBay for the rings and maybe check the tp here. They were always hard to find from online stores so if I see them and have the extra cash I buy them. I think I’d look for the non-and version if that’s all you can find. They really are slim and trim.

I agree with the scopes. A few of my hunting rigs have leupold 3-9 ao and one that frequents the bench has a 4-12 ao but when hunting I run on the lower end. I like the lower power scopes. Even for bench work the best groups I have shot with a 22 was with a Annie 54 sporter and a 2 3/4 redfield. I’d guess they were less than 1/4”. Sometimes I think it’s better to not see the target, no pressure if you can’t see exactly how great those first 4 shots look :D

Is your walther a single trigger or dst? I’ve always wanted to try a single trigger. If I don’t set mine it’s a pretty horrible 3-4lbs. But set I would guess maybe 8oz. It’s by far my favorite looking and feeling 22. It’s light and sleek and just feels great in the hands. I was lucky to find mine and at a great price.

#11 ·
My KKJ has the single trigger and is of 1959 vintage. It is also threaded for a suppressor which would be fun but I'm in Commiefornia and they will never be allowed. The trigger is very crisp. It has the tiny hole on the left side of the stock forward of the crossbolt safety. I understand that is to access the trigger adjustment ? I have never put my Lyman digital trigger gauge to it but it feels good now and I don't want to mess with it. I also have one of the 8 round mags for it.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
I received a set of Warne Maxima Quick Detachable Rings, in Medium height. No issues at all with bolt clearance or the front or rear sights being visible in the scope field of view, even with the front sight hood attached. The scope is a Bushnell Banner .22 4x20mm. The Warne rings have a reversible clamp on the base to accommodate either a 3/8" or 11mm dovetail and it was an easy adjustment for the 11mm dovetail on my KKJ. The total weight of the scope and mounts is 11.3 ounces so it doesn't seem to throw off the balance of the rifle at all. Here are a couple of photos.
I don't know why the color of the stock in the photo I posted above looks so light. The photos below are closer to the actual color.

Attachments

#16 ·
Two great looking rifles. I’m happy the rings worked out for you. I know the cross bolt was the earlier safety, they had a transition where some had both, and then the wing safety later but I cannot remember dates. Teddybearrat could tell you if he sees this thread. Very knowledgeable man when it comes to fine rifles.

Iron

#17 ·
This is the classical German set-up from the late 1950s / early 1960s for the KKJ:

I have a complete Walther KKJ DST assembly for the .22 l.r. but have given the gun to my son and he likes it the way it is. I also gave an Anschutz 1420 with a vintage Kahles 4x32 steel scope that is from the correct time period. A large modern scope with a matte finish does not go well with the slim lines of the KKJ.

#18 ·
That's a beautiful rifle Andy and the look that I was going for with the installation of the Warne QD rings and an older gloss finish straight tube scope.

A couple of years ago one of the Walther factory scope mounts like this one showed up on ebay. I bid on it but it sold for more than I paid for my rifle. I think over $350 ? I have never seen another for sale.

Attachments

#19 ·
The factory bridge mounts from Walther and Anschutz are very rare. The Anschutz 26mm rings for the 11mm rail originally sold for more money than an Anschutz Flobert action .22 sporter did. I collect the Anschutz bridge mounts, both with rings and for the Z-rail. German EAW or Recknagel mounts are not much cheaper.

It took me well over a decade and a small fortune.

#20 ·
That Walther factory mount is nice, but also looks like typical German over-engineering. That's quite a bit of steel to hang on top of a very slim & trim and lightweight rifle.
The Warne QD mounts weighed something like 3.8 oz. so weren't too bad when combined with my old Bushnell scope that weighed in at 7.5 oz. I considered the Burris aluminum rings but liked the Warne QD levers as they had a traditional look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.