Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:19 AM
No-Zombies
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Starting the process

After some thinking over the last few weeks, I've decided to try my hand at the SuperStock thing, so here I am.

Being kind of an odd duck, rather than going with something tried and true (though still challenging) like building a 10/22 as a super stock gun, I've decided to see if I can build a Mauser 105 as a worthy entry.

Background: This Mauser 105 is one of a very small number that made it into the US. Once I had it in my hands, because of the lack of availability of original magazines, I opened the mag-well and converted it to use magazines that I had on hand (Bingham model 20 magazines) with good success.

Other than sighting the gun in, it's never been shot on paper, and has, for the last several years, functioned as my squirrel gun and occasional range plinker. When my state opened up hunting with suppressors, I screwed one on, and now it's a very quiet squirrel gun.

To try SuperStock, I've replaced the 4X scope that's been living on the rifle for the last several years with a 2-7 Beeman scope with AO and target turrets. I hope to get to the range and sight it in in the next week or two. I may need more scope, but we'll see where the journey leads, and for the moment, it will still be pulling double duty removing pests from the yard. I've also done what I can to adjust the trigger. It breaks cleanly at about 3.5 pounds, and is crisp, but has more over travel than I would like, it's a function of the design, and I may see about that later.

There is absolutely zero aftermarket for the rifle, so anything I want to do, I will have to do myself. I know the gun is a good shooter, but I'll have to see if I can overcome it's inherent weaknesses to really make it shine.

As it stands the stock needs refinishing pretty badly, (it's been like that since I got it, and as a woods gun, I never worried about it) but that's a project that I'll undertake after I've seen if I can get the gun to shoot how I want. I've always been kind of a "form follows function" kind of guy, and that thinking prevails here.

Last edited by No-Zombies; 05-24-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 AM
JTPinTX
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That will be an interesting project. For sure you will have to figure it out yourself vs relying on tried and true tricks. Those projects are always a challenge, but always fun. I will be watching what all you do to it.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
As our rules say "Any semi auto sporter" and your Mauser fits that perfectly. I personally have posted Rugers, Marlins and my T/C Classic here.

Nice to see something different. Although I have shot the Mauser 22 Bolt actions I did not even know Mauser made a 22 semi! We have had a couple CZs but your rifle is our first Mauser.

This could be a very interesting thread to follow. They do things differently in Europe!

Welcome To SuperStock!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 12:54 AM
No-Zombies

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
We have had a couple CZs but your rifle is our first Mauser.
Thank you both for the welcomes!

I'd venture a guess that this is going to be the only rifle in the category that fires from an open bolt as well.

The open bolt design is one of the major hurdles to overcome in accuracy, as the whole bolt moves forward when the trigger is pulled, causing the gun to move a little.

Repeatability is the key to accuracy, so I'm hoping I can overcome the bolt lurch, but it remains to be seen.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:03 AM
JTPinTX
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Firing from an open bolt is really odd for a sporting rifle. Usually that is reserved for machine guns. It will be interesting to see how this project goes.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:39 AM
BigSky1

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Zombies View Post
After some thinking over the last few weeks, I've decided to try my hand at the SuperStock thing, so here I am.

Being kind of an odd duck, rather than going with something tried and true (though still challenging) like building a 10/22 as a super stock gun, I've decided to see if I can build a Mauser 105 as a worthy entry.

Background: This Mauser 105 is one of a very small number that made it into the US. Once I had it in my hands, because of the lack of availability of original magazines, I opened the mag-well and converted it to use magazines that I had on hand (Bingham model 20 magazines) with good success.

Other than sighting the gun in, it's never been shot on paper, and has, for the last several years, functioned as my squirrel gun and occasional range plinker. When my state opened up hunting with suppressors, I screwed one on, and now it's a very quiet squirrel gun.

To try SuperStock, I've replaced the 4X scope that's been living on the rifle for the last several years with a 2-7 Beeman scope with AO and target turrets. I hope to get to the range and sight it in in the next week or two. I may need more scope, but we'll see where the journey leads, and for the moment, it will still be pulling double duty removing pests from the yard. I've also done what I can to adjust the trigger. It breaks cleanly at about 3.5 pounds, and is crisp, but has more over travel than I would like, it's a function of the design, and I may see about that later.

There is absolutely zero aftermarket for the rifle, so anything I want to do, I will have to do myself. I know the gun is a good shooter, but I'll have to see if I can overcome it's inherent weaknesses to really make it shine.

As it stands the stock needs refinishing pretty badly, (it's been like that since I got it, and as a woods gun, I never worried about it) but that's a project that I'll undertake after I've seen if I can get the gun to shoot how I want. I've always been kind of a "form follows function" kind of guy, and that thinking prevails here.

First of all welcome to SuperStock!

I read your post with fascination. I had heard a very similar story before, a few years back. Same rifle converted to use the same mag anyway. As these rifles are rare I remember it well. Trouble is I couldn't remember where I read it, winters are long here in Montana and I read alot. Getting old is for the birds.... I must not be totally over the hill however as it came to me this morning. I had read about it on a web site called "I own guns". Would you happen to be the guy who wrote the story there? If so, your a lucky fella as the writer of that story had not only one of these but two!

Either way I'm glad your going to shoot your rifle here with us in SuperStock!

Heres a link to the story at I own guns: Mauser 105

Last edited by BigSky1; 05-25-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:31 PM
No-Zombies

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky1 View Post
First of all welcome to SuperStock!

I read your post with fascination. I had heard a very similar story before, a few years back. Same rifle converted to use the same mag anyway. As these rifles are rare I remember it well. Trouble is I couldn't remember where I read it, winters are long here in Montana and I read alot. Getting old is for the birds.... I must not be totally over the hill however as it came to me this morning. I had read about it on a web site called "I own guns". Would you happen to be the guy who wrote the story there? If so, your a lucky fella as the writer of that story had not only one of these but two!

Either way I'm glad your going to shoot your rifle here with us in SuperStock!

Heres a link to the story at I own guns: Mauser 105
Thank you for the welcome!

Yessir, that story and website are mine. I've still got the second rifle sitting in the safe collecting dust. I've probably only put about 100 rounds through it, but it's in even rougher shape than the one pictured.

I wasn't actually aware that anybody even read the site, so that's nice to hear
I guess I should spend some time updating the content.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:08 PM
BigSky1

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Very nice! I'm not sure how I came upon your site, but found lots of interesting stuff on there for sure.

Kudos for getting the kids involved.