Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:23 PM
sbsyncro
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New CZ 455 22LR break-in and Bulk Ammo results

Hey all,

Being a data hound (and a reloader) I get pretty obsessive about shooting results and cataloging those results. I'm still looking for the "best" workflow, but for now I've started tracking all rounds that go through my new CZ 455.

I brought her to the range on Saturday for some break-in and brought with me all my various brands of 22LR.

After a couple passes with dry, then wet, then dry patches, my plan was to run a few hundred rounds of "bulk" ammo to break in the barrel, then move to the "good stuff" to check which was the most accurate (and then I would begin bulk purchases). As it turned out, I ran out of time and was only able to shoot 19 groups of bulk ammo, but I tracked the results, and here they are!

Ammo used:
Aguila Super Extra

Federal "Target Grade" bulk

Federal "Game Shok" Bulk

CCI Mini-Mag

Winchester Bulk 36g Copper HP

RESULTS:

All shots taken from a bench rest (Caldwell Stinger)
Wind was "light and variable" - maybe 1-5 mph
Range: 50 yards
Temp: 75 degrees
Scope: Vortex Crossfire II 4-12 AO

22 groups of 5 shots recorded:

Compared to my only other 22LR (an old, abused Marlin model 60), these results were amazing for this cheap ammo - group sizes were about half that of the Marlin. That being said, they were pretty inconsistent, as might be expected. Also the sample sizes are honestly too small to derive statistically relevant conclusions, but it does give some general idea of relative accuracy and consistency.

Some observations:

1. The CCI Mini-mags are the most expensive (I paid $0.081 with tax & shipping) yet delivered the worst performance.

2. The Aguila were the cheapest ($0.052 with tax & shipping) and delivered the second poorest performance.

3. The Aguila did, however, leave nice black imprinted circles of either lube or carbon soot around each of the holes on the target paper.

4. My gut feeling is that the most accurate/consistent was the Winchester 36g bulk ammo (36g copper HP), with the Federal "Target grade" (lead RN) almost neck & neck with it. More experience may show them to be very similar or swap places.

I'm hoping my home range opens up for this coming weekend (its been closed for a month due to fires) and if so, I'll shoot a bunch more bulk ammo and then start recording results with the "good stuff" I've got on hand (Eley, Wolf, CCI, etc). Stay tuned for more results...
Old 07-25-2017, 09:32 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Fun test. I want to see the good stuff in comparison with the bulk HV stuff.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 PM
sbsyncro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
Fun test. I want to see the good stuff in comparison with the bulk HV stuff.
Me too! I'm just waiting for the fire crews to stop using our gun club as a staging area! If it happens this weekend I'll have a report by next week with the "good stuff".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 03:00 AM
Doc Robin

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The other factor to throw in the mix will be the speed of each type of ammo.

Looking forward to the next test results.

Your lucky; my local public range has been closed since the 4th of December for remodel and upgrades.

Bill

WPS

PS. One of my buddies is out west working on the choppers the fire crews are flying. Thousands of of parts rotating around an oil leak waiting to happen.

Last edited by Doc Robin; 07-26-2017 at 03:05 AM. Reason: addtional info
Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 AM
EOTS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't found ANYTHING (Wolf, SK, ect) that shoots better than CCI MMs in my 455.
They are those goofy-*** "Choot em!" Croc Hunter edition ones
Old 07-26-2017, 12:03 PM
JuiceStain

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try the Aguila Pistol Match. In my 455, this stuff will run with Wolf MT and surpass it on some occasions. It's surprisingly good ammo, and just happens to be somewhat cheap for "match" ammo.

My usually plinking ammo is Geco (semi auto) and Aguila subsonic. Both shoot not bad at all. But when I'm really trying to group, I run UM22 or Wolf MT.

I only had the one box of Aguila Pistol Match (APM). But I was impressed and will buy more. I have two boxes of the Aguila Rifle Match that I've not yet tried.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:51 PM
sbsyncro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Today I picked up more ammo to try when I get to the "Good Stuff" - amazingly, all purchased from Big 5 with a 15% off coupon:

CCI SV - $3.59
Aguila Rifle Match - $5.09
Aguila Pistol Match - $5.09
RWS subsonic - $8.49
RWS Target Pistol - $7.64
RWS Rifle Match - $10.49

Looking at the shelves at Big 5, I can confidently say that the 22LR ammo shortage is over!

Will report back with results when I get to shooting it up. I should mention that my intended purpose for this rifle is not match shooting, but small game, so reliable "minute of rabbit head" is what I'm looking for.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:25 PM
hthomas49

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd be curious to see how the Aquila SV would compare to CCI SV. I just bought a 455 a couple of months ago and doing the same as you, but on a much smaller scale.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 PM
trotterlg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All the rf I shoot is in an IZH-35M but the cheapest most consistent ammo has been the Aguila 40gr subsonic. Even the SV super extra is extremely reliable but I seem to get more velocity changes with it than I do with the subsonic. I think they say it is about 1,050fps. Larry
Old 07-27-2017, 05:22 AM
JuiceStain

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hthomas49 View Post
I'd be curious to see how the Aquila SV would compare to CCI SV. I just bought a 455 a couple of months ago and doing the same as you, but on a much smaller scale.
You'll need to a statistically relevant amount of each in your rifle.

In mine, they run about the same.

But Aguila subsonic outshoots both.

IMO, the small velocity penalty of SS ammo is well worth the extra accuracy they seem to usually have over SV or HV loads.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:20 AM
sbsyncro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wonder why subsonic 22LR are generally reported as being more accurate. I know when reloading relatively small projectiles (like 7.62x39) too high a muzzle velocity causes instability at some point, depending on barrel length and twist rate. Wonder if it's the same thing. (I'll confess I don't even know the twist rate of the 455 as compare to other 22LR rifles)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:24 AM
JeffRCZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My understanding is that a bullet becomes slightly unstable in flight when it transitions from supersonic to subsonic. For something like the CC Mini-Mag, it drops from supersonic to subsonic in the 40 to 50 yard range, which is obviously a common distance for shooting .22lr. Smarter people than me can confirm this.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:26 AM
sbsyncro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRCZ View Post
My understanding is that a bullet becomes slightly unstable in flight when it transitions from supersonic to subsonic. For something like the CC Mini-Mag, it drops from supersonic to subsonic in the 40 to 50 yard range, which is obviously a common distance for shooting .22lr. Smarter people than me can confirm this.
Ah, this makes total sense. Larger, more powerful calibers don't usually cross that boundary in normal target ranges, thus the 22LR exhibits this "strange" behavior. I'll buy it.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:26 PM
JuiceStain

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRCZ View Post
Even someone far less smart can confirm it-- that's where I come in, lol.

Bullets tend to be stable in supersonic flight and in subsonic flight. But transitioning between the two speed ranges can induce strange oscillation moments or other disturbances.

I think one of the main points of research in the famous CheyTac sniper calibers is the projectile having a very special relationship of center of mass to center of pressure, which changes substantially in the transonic realm.

My understanding is that the CheyTac projectiles intentionally sacrifice some ballistic coefficient in the name of transonic stability. This extends the effective range of the cartridge and weapon far beyond the traditional limit where many cartridges slow to the transonic range.

Typical .22LR projectiles have pretty poor BC, so they tend to lose speed rather rapidly. And combine that with speeds that are barely supersonic to begin with, and you end up with loads that fall transonic far closer to the shooter than larger calibers.

ETA: Depending on ambient conditions and barrel length, many "standard" velocity loads ARE subsonic. Hot summer days will have higher speeds of sound and can cause ammo to be "subsonic." In my area, speed of sound varies from about 1060fps in winter to about 1135fps in summer.

I learned my lesson trying to explain this to a gun counter employee one time.

Last edited by JuiceStain; 07-27-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:31 PM
milleron
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
Ah, this makes total sense. Larger, more powerful calibers don't usually cross that boundary in normal target ranges, thus the 22LR exhibits this "strange" behavior. I'll buy it.
It's not something that you have to "buy." The explanations given by JeffRCZ and JuiceStain are standard knowledge i.e., there's absolutely no supposition involved. This is why ALL competition-grade .22 ammunition is subsonic. At actual benchrest matches, you will never, ever see anyone shooting anything with a muzzle velocity over 1,100 ft/sec.