Any interest in new Romanian M1969 mags? Looking for suggestions. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:21 PM
csspecs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any interest in new Romanian M1969 mags? Looking for suggestions.

Hello.

I'm looking at making some magazines for the Romanian M1969 training rifle. I have a couple of the originals coming in and have had the made in Taiwan mags for a long time (I bought my rifle when I was 14 for like $45 with my lawn mowing money).

Anyway I figured I'd ask:
Is there is anything I should focus on?
Is the original design with the overlapped back with spot welds prefered?
Would a higher capacity mag such as a 10 round be desirable?
Are there other features that should be added such as follower pull tabs for simpler loading?

I have the metal forming process pretty well worked out so I don't need any pointers on that.

Last edited by csspecs; 06-28-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:26 PM
Titanium Hammer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have a Romanian but would be interested in a couple of Polish Wz78 mags. Those things are practically unobtanium.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:16 PM
csspecs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are there enough guns to justify about 1000 mags?

I have the ability to make mags. But I need a certain volume to break even or make money..

Simple tooling has a break even of about $25k which sounds like a lot but it is just a couple thousand mags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2017, 11:22 PM
Prsman23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check on rimfirecentral as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 10:11 PM
Titanium Hammer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
Are there enough guns to justify about 1000 mags?

I have the ability to make mags. But I need a certain volume to break even or make money..

Simple tooling has a break even of about $25k which sounds like a lot but it is just a couple thousand mags.
Probably not as there were only around 5k Wz78's imported into the country.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:59 AM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
In answer to your original question, I'd prefer to buy a solidly functional 5 round magazine than higher capacity. As to it following exactly the original, that's not as important as it just working well w/100% reliability. I'd be a buyer for at least two, should you go forward.

Also, I'd think there is a good market for replacement magazines for Savage model 23's as well. They have become near impossible to find on the aftermarket or at gun shows. There were a lot of those rifles made & many no longer have the magazines.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:12 AM
csspecs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We are probably going to do 5 round mags first then work on the 10 round later.

I do want to take a look at the originals just to see what the difference. I've heard that the originals work better. We can measure down to about .0005" so I can see what makes one better than another and hopefully recreate that. I'm supposed to have the originals in hand on Monday or so. We will start coding them right away.

I'm open to suggestions of other things that need to be made. There are several strategies to make smaller volumes of magazines with less overhead. For example laser cutting is one we have used heavily. Another is breaking a process into several smaller less complicated forming dies and then hand transferring the parts. The result is that you balance the investment to the volume.

On tiny batches we can use a vacuum plate on our CNC mill and mill the sheet parts 20 at a time. It is a little expensive but in volumes of less that 500 it is cheaper than laser.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:11 PM
MK111

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
In answer to your original question, I'd prefer to buy a solidly functional 5 round magazine than higher capacity. As to it following exactly the original, that's not as important as it just working well w/100% reliability. I'd be a buyer for at least two, should you go forward.

Also, I'd think there is a good market for replacement magazines for Savage model 23's as well. They have become near impossible to find on the aftermarket or at gun shows. There were a lot of those rifles made & many no longer have the magazines.
I would agree on the Savage 23 magazines. I sell sights and magazine at gunshows for over 30 yrs now. I get $75-80 for every Savage 23 magazine I find. I have request every gunshow for the Savage 23 magazine.

IMHO the Romanian repo magazine would be a lost cause money maker since only 5K rifle was brought in.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:04 PM
csspecs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've noticed that there seems to be another model 23 savage. Anyone have a more detailed description of this rifle and magazine? Is there a specific model or designation that would be the best example?
I just want to be sure I'm looking at the right one.. A picture or link to a picture would be handy.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:37 PM
bucnball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation Savage Mdl 23 mag

Triple K Mfg in SanDiego called me last Friday eve saying they had a 7 rd mag that I had ordered earlier the year for my Mdl 23(A) Savage. . I said 'Thanks, the rifle hadn't sold yet, didn't want to invest more in it. So, check with them for a mag. .
Old 07-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I would be interested in the M1969 Romanian mags.

I don't have a Savage 23. I nearly bought one some time back, but one of the reasons I didn't was lack of a magazine for it, and I couldn't find one for it at the time.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 PM
wookness

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Going from memory I think the model 19 NRA savage rifles had a single shot adapter devise built in which was a screw on the bottom of the magazine. Model 23's were but an extension of those first model 19's & NRA target rifles.

As an aside, the NRA 19's had super thin stocks that looked like they could have been made from nominal dimension 1" lumber or not much thicker. Never was the first doubt in my mind that they were fashioned from anything but board stock.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:32 PM
wookness

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucnball View Post
Triple K Mfg in SanDiego called me last Friday eve saying they had a 7 rd mag that I had ordered earlier the year for my Mdl 23(A) Savage. . I said 'Thanks, the rifle hadn't sold yet, didn't want to invest more in it. So, check with them for a mag. .
I'm aware of that, but the originals were 5-shot & for some they may wish to go back w/an original capacity, if one were available. I know that I would.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I would be interested in Swedish Ljungman AG-42B rifle magazines. Not sure how many rifles were imported, but the magazines are impossible to find in this country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ag_m/42
Old 07-02-2017, 04:53 PM
bucnball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Sure, I'd be glad to buy a couple of spare mags for my Romanian M69 training rifles. They are pretty accurate & can still be found for about $100. Let us know when they become available ! Thanks!