TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

these are beautiful rifles , congrats to all , maybe one day ill find mine ,
Old 10-29-2015, 08:42 PM
FAST996
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up my NRA M1922M1(Top rifle)yesterday and took some photos with my other M1 that has been converted to a M2. The M1 is original with the NS M1 bolt(you can see the difference between the two bolts,the M1 is headless and the M2 has the safety lug like a 1903) and M1 magazine and made in 1930. Both of these are listed on the SRS list as sales rifles. I'm am finding out that it's a lot of work to find these rifles. But then that's part of the fun too.I have collected Win 52's and purchased a beautiful Remington 37,these Springfields though just speak to me. I hope to add to my collection soon.

A interesting note is both rifles have the later 1922M1 marking even though their serial numbers are about 10,000 numbers a part. The early rifle was made just after the switch and the latter towards the end of production on the M1 series. I hope to find a M1 with the early M2 bolt someday which is rare and late production.

I added another to my NRA stocked rifles,a model of 1922. Looks pretty nice,not perfect but then the price was doable. I've missed a few lately so it was nice to snag a 1922. I'll post photos later.

Last edited by FAST996; 11-03-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:00 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Great find! Like many, I'm hoping to stumble onto one in decent shape myself someday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST996 View Post
I snagged another M1922MI NRA Sales rifle SRS records show that 1922M1 number 19358 was sold on 1-9-31. It is listed as a 1922M1 in the NRA stock. The serial # is two up from Butch Eyburg's 19356. I'm kind of excited but I won't know what I really have till I get the rifle. Here is a photo.

A fellow bidder was at the auction and this what he said about the rifle. I bid absentee.

"I was at the auction where this rifle was available...I bid on it and should have went a little more..It is drilled and tapped for a target scope, bolt matches and is the original (not m2) bolt, barrel date was 1931 (can't remember month)..The only issue with this rifle is that it had a spot of pitting on the barrel halfway about the size of a dime and someone wooled it pretty hard and removed some finish around it and there was some minor pitting at the muzzle, stock / buttplate were fine, minor spotting on the Lyman. "

Will post some photos when I receive it and hopefully some test targets too.

I had to resurrect this thread to show that patience and vigilance do pay off eventually.
I have an unaltered 1922M1 NRA example on the way (17XXX serial number range with a 1930 barrel date).

From the pictures, it's not as nice as some of those pictured here and the blue seems a little dull (I'm hoping this is just decades of grime that will clean off), but I'm still very happy.

P.S. How does one go about getting details from SRS?

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 05-01-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 07:15 PM
Monster Man
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
SRS info on Springfield Rifles

You have some nice rifles. I have a MII, a Sporterized 1922 believed to be from Sedgley, an original 1922 and an NRA Sporter (30-'06).

If you jump over to http://www.milsurps.com and post in the 22 Rimfire section, ask Hershel for an SRS check.......he is the go to guy for info on the 1922 and its variants.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:40 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
so a while after i posted to this i did get one - its not pristine original but close enough - sorry no photos of it yet ,
Old 06-04-2016, 08:13 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
I had to resurrect this thread to show that patience and vigilance do pay off eventually.
I have an unaltered 1922M1 NRA example on the way (17XXX serial number range with a 1930 barrel date).

From the pictures, it's not as nice as some of those pictured here and the blue seems a little dull (I'm hoping this is just decades of grime that will clean off), but I'm still very happy.
I finally got out yesterday to do some serious shooting. I took a Win. 52B project rifle that I finally got put together and my recently acquired 1922M1 DCM/sales version.
Most of the shooting was at 50 yds. The Springfield with the original aperture sights did OK with the ammo I brought; it liked the Wolf ME and MT, and the old Federal 900B dimpled Match ammo.
On a whim, I decided to set a target at 100 yds just to see how these two (and I) would do. Below is the result. Keep in mind that the Winchester had a 20X Redfield 3200 target scope and the Springfield had aperture sights (and my eyes are not young any more). Even though I have shot aperture sights a lot over the years and have always sung their praises to the uninitiated, I am still amazed at what can be done with them on a good rifle.

Not too bad for an 85+ year old rifle with a 2-stage trigger. The vintage 1948 Winchester with a standard barrel wasn't too shabby either.

I really like the Sales version Springfield, but that long M1 bolt throw will take a little getting used to.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 06-04-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:46 AM
gunsmith10367

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Griffin & Howe 1922 Springifeld..............

Several years ago I was fortunate to find a Griffin & Howe M1922 Sporter, foolishly I sold it when someone offered me twice what I had paid for it. In more than forty years of collecting I have not seen another G & H nor a Sedgley.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 PM
butchlambert

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I purchased this one from a retired Marine Corp. veteran's estate.

I have not shot it yet. It is a 1922M11
Old 10-17-2016, 03:49 PM
younggun22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Were the NRA stocks finished in the same oil finish or did they use a more gloss finish. I have seen both and didn't know which one is correct