Suggestions? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:27 PM
CB900F
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Suggestions?

Fella's;

I'm looking for suggestions for an electric knife sharpener. This will be a kitchen appliance for kitchen knives, and no serrated edges. I, and mostly the cook who rules the kitchen, am looking for something that will take an in-daily-use knife and bring back a reasonable working edge in under 30 seconds if possible. Not talking heavy work here, not restoring the edge, just keeping it sharp.

The knives themselves are older, U.S. made Chicago Cutlery. We've had them for many years, probably got them sometime in the 70's. Just want to keep them going and quiet the complaints from the cook.

900F
Old 03-09-2015, 12:40 PM
ShootsAtSky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Take a look at a Worksharp, very easy to use and covers almost any type of edge.

Get the extra belt assortment with it, you'll probably need some of them after the first time thru the kitchen drawers. After that just order additional sets of the belts you need.

I have an old set of Chicago Walnut 440s along with my newer santokus, only use the steels for quick touch ups now.

Bob
Old 03-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsAtSky View Post
Take a look at a Worksharp, very easy to use and covers almost any type of edge.

Get the extra belt assortment with it, you'll probably need some of them after the first time thru the kitchen drawers. After that just order additional sets of the belts you need.

I have an old set of Chicago Walnut 440s along with my newer santokus, only use the steels for quick touch ups now.

Bob
I agree completely...

The worksharp does a great job, and is easy to use. I haven't found anything that compares for a good edge, that is quick to achieve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 04:26 PM
jfraz3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
+10 on the Worksharp, love mine, have had it probably 3 years and it seems like its loaned out to all my buddys more than it is here at the house!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:17 PM
CB900F

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fella's;

Maybe I'll take another look at this workshop thing, but I doubt it's going to be what's wanted. Let me be clear about this.

I want a device that sits on the kitchen counter. When the cook feels a knife could be a bit sharper, she runs the knife past the machine. I don't want to sharpen another kitchen knife again if I can help it. I'm sure the workshop does a fine job. But it also looks like something I'd be constantly running, and I don't want that.

900F
Old 03-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (146)
Check these out....

http://www.chefschoice.com/page2a.html

Now I own both of the Work Sharps, and was a product tester for their newest one, but I would not use either of these in the kitchen due to the steel dust.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:26 PM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F View Post
... Let me be clear about this...When the cook feels a knife could be a bit sharper, she runs the knife past the machine. I don't want to sharpen another kitchen knife again if I can help it....
Ah! I get it. What you want is to keep her problem from being your problem. Something easy to use and you don't want to be the one using it.

I have had the Chef's Choice and was happy with it.

Since I put up about 6 feet of magnetic strips to hold knives and things on the wall, they have stayed much sharper. When they need a little touch-up, I use a cheap set of diamond hones from Harbor Freight and/or 1000 grit wet-dry sandpaper on glass and/or a homemade leather strop. Four people cut their fingers in our kitchen over Christmas. Our knives are sharp.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:28 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Fair warning, may or may not apply in your house...

I have a Chefs Choice also, I put it out of sight after my wife and youngest daughter decided that it worked so well that they should run every knife thru it before each use. Some of the knives that they favored started to get noticeably shorter.

It probably doesn't help that all four of us have OCD to some extent. The older daughter is borderline between moderate-severe, but she says it helps focus when she's in the kitchen (she's a chef). She has a Work Sharp for her own knives also.

I decided it was easier (and a lot cheaper) to get the Work Sharp and keep them sharp and just leave a good steel and ceramic stick in the knife block so we can straighten edges when needed. I run them thru the Work Sharp when they actually need an edge brought back.

Bob
Old 05-07-2017, 09:46 PM
sansarcroad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
old thread, yes, but timeless issue

Chef's choice is probably your solution, but any motorized grinder is going to eat up a lot of metal over time. Knives will then need to be replaced or reprofiled.

I've got a Hookeye belt grinder, crock sticks of various manufacture, and just picked up the KO worksharp. I've had my best luck getting knives with good steel and design at reasonable ($30-50) prices, (Victorinox or Wenger, for example) then steeling them often. It's rarely necessary to grind them if you just align those edges before and after use. It also makes you look like a cutlery master.

If you'd rather ease on out of the equation, crock sticks are my recommendation, especially for the OCD in all of us. Five strokes on one side, five on the other, four strokes on first side, four on the other, etc. Very effective, unless the knife has been abused.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:53 PM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wore out a Chef's Choice 120. Took me several years to do it though. Great sharpener and won't overheat the steel which ruins the temper. Also, since it uses diamond wheels there are no belts to replace. It is pretty aggressive, however and over time your knives will show excessive metal removal. This can be mitigated my limiting the use of it. (I think I got a little carried away.) The Chef's Choice 130 is a newer, upgraded model and is supposed to be better, but I have no experience with it.

For kitchen knives, I use waterstones now, and a belt sander for other knives. When learning to use the belt sander, I bought some flea market knives for $2 to $4 each and practiced on them, overheating a few which is why I don't recommend it for good kitchen knives.

Here's a very informative site on Japanese knives with a lot of sharpening videos, although no machine sharpeners. It's a good resource for understanding knife steel. The product review videos are great, too. The only mechanical sharpener they recommend is the Chef's Choice 130, BTW.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/

Hector
Old 09-23-2017, 10:56 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a cheap takeoff of the Chef's Choice and it works as well for a quick edge. They all leave some black steel dust on the edge that wipes off with a wet paper towel. Just did a handful of em today. SIL complains they're too sharp for her. That ain't all too sharp for her.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Oldeyes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have used both the Chef's Choice and the Work Sharp knife sharpeners and consider both to be too aggressive for my tastes both in terms of average knife metal removal and also in that if you don't watch what your doing a significant portion of the knife edge can get scratched up by the sharpening process. To get a super sharp edge on a some of the new harder than the hinges of hell modern steel kitchen knives I go old school and use a 400 grit diamond sharpener to shape the blade edge and remove any nicks and a 1000 grit diamond sharpener to set a super sharp and quite long lasting edge. Once you get used to manually holding the blade at a 12-15 degree angle to the diamond sharpener and pretending that you're cutting it, the sharpening process is a piece of cake. Following is a link to a couple of inexpensive Chinese manufactured high quality diamond sharpeners with which you can develop your "can do easy" manual blade edge sharpening skills and which also conserve significantly on the amount of blade metal removed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400-1000-Dia....c100005.m1851
Old 09-28-2017, 09:55 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have the Worksharp, and have successfully used it on our kitchen knives,,, BUT!!
The big but is that I use a ceramic knife for most of the kitchen cutting I do.
The last one I purchased was from Amazon for less than $8 delivered.

The knife is so sharp, I have a 20-something year old daughter that will NOT use it,,
the knife is that scary sharp,,,

I usually replace the knife about every 18 months, no need to try to sharpen,, too hard.

Try a ceramic knife,, and enjoy life.