Ceramic knives - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:43 AM
gdm41
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ceramic knives

A couple of years ago, I bought a ceramic knife. I had always heard how sharp ceramic knives can be. With mine, you can't hardly cut butter. Does anyone, or can anyone point me in the right direction as for sharpening this knife ? AS always, good info helpful . Thanks again
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 AM
bndshardr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A diamond hone is the only way to sharpen a ceramic knife. You need an abrasive harder than the blade.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink buy a new knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm41 View Post
A couple of years ago, I bought a ceramic knife. I had always heard how sharp ceramic knives can be. With mine, you can't hardly cut butter. Does anyone, or can anyone point me in the right direction as for sharpening this knife ? AS always, good info helpful . Thanks again
i never heard of a DULL ceramic knife. good luck sharpening it. i own 3-4 and use them carefully, they remain RAZOR SHARP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Stryker60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm41 View Post
I too have had some success with diamond hones. Just remember ceramics chip easily when subjected to pressure to the side of the edge. Use a relatively light hand.

Stryker60
Old 09-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (146)
This is why the only ceramic knife I would own, would be a Kyocera kitchen knife. They will sharpen them for free for life, and even if you ship one, they will rework it and give it a new edge for as long as you own the knife.

Really, ceramic knives are only good for slicing vegies, and thats about it. They are too brittle for anything else.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:44 PM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Gizzy has it pretty well down. I have a Boker pocket knife I use to open mail and slit the tape on packages. but the blades do chip easily and diamond hones are the ONLY way to sharpen. I took a knife sharpening class in PA and took my Kyocera kitchen knife. The instructor had a hard time sharpening it and his expertise was in Japanese knives.
Without diamond hones you will NEVER sharpen the blade. I sharpen my Boker with diamond hones. The nice thing about these blades is, except for chipping, they hold an edge a long, long time.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:29 PM
rimfiresrule2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The ones I used were sharp but went dull real quick. Junk from bargain store or typical?
Old 06-27-2015, 02:06 AM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
This is why the only ceramic knife I would own, would be a Kyocera kitchen knife. They will sharpen them for free for life, and even if you ship one, they will rework it and give it a new edge for as long as you own the knife.

Really, ceramic knives are only good for slicing vegies, and thats about it. They are too brittle for anything else.
I sent in my Kyocera knife last year. It was too chipped to fix properly. They shipped me a new one. My specific model was out of stock, so they upgraded me and let me pick one of 4 different options. That's a warranty!
Old 06-27-2015, 08:09 AM
NCchris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
I sent in my Kyocera knife last year. It was too chipped to fix properly. They shipped me a new one. My specific model was out of stock, so they upgraded me and let me pick one of 4 different options. That's a warranty!
Thanks for that info!
As you know these knives do chip easily, but I have had the two knife kitchen set for a couple of years and no chips. One has to be almost fanatical with care of these and any quality kitchen knives. My wife is scared of these because they are so sharp so she doesn't touch them. Never, NEVER put a good knife in the dishwasher and never store in a drawer. I store all my kitchen knives in a block with the edge up. That way they cannot even touch the wooden block with the edge. I think the most important is the use of a good chopping block. Another thing is to wipe the blade immediately after use and return to the block. Hope this helps someone!
chris
Old 07-01-2015, 04:17 PM
Pete44ru

TPC Rating: 
85% (9)

FWIW, the local "Dollar Stores" hereabouts occasionally have a ceramic folder with a 3" white blade and several (plastic) handle colors.

The cost is.......................... (wait for it)............................ $1 !

It works so good as a pocket knife (opening boxes, light slicing jobs, slicing fruit, etc) that I bought a half-dozen for friends.

Last edited by Pete44ru; 07-01-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (146)
For me, a good pocket knife has to be strong enough to cut rope and the occasional small tree limb. If all you carry a pocket knife for is to slice fruit, then you cannot beat that at all. Just the slightest sideways lean on that blade, and it will break.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:16 PM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I've heard that you can sharpen ceramics with very fine wet-or-dry sandpaper. Maybe 1000 grit. I'd back it up with glass. Never tried it but it sounds reasonable and you have little to lose.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
I've heard that you can sharpen ceramics with very fine wet-or-dry sandpaper. Maybe 1000 grit. I'd back it up with glass. Never tried it but it sounds reasonable and you have little to lose.
Kyocera has a video on this and they have to use diamond wheels to sharpen or resharpen theirs, so I doubt sandpaper will work. Ceramic is extremely hard. Thats why they chip so easily.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Scuba1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a green diamond wheel for a grinder that is made to sharpen carbide tooling. I made an arbor for it and run it in a slow turning electric drill, clamped to a table. It sharpens ceramic knives in seconds
Old 08-02-2016, 07:47 AM
jpw062

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
'When felling a tree the man grows sore and the axe grows dull before the tree falls.'
You can sharpen a ceramic knife with abrasives other than diamond. Just as you can use a steel file to put a radius on a carbide end-mill or de-burr super-duplex.. It will take more time and be much harder on the abrasive. In a commercial production setting they use diamond of course.

If you don't have a lot of sharpening needs and frequent a Cabela's, just take a knife with you each time you go. They have all the sharpeners out to try. I just take one knife. They might not like it if you show up with 20.