24 inch vs. 28 inch Barrels regarding noise, Anybody have both? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:20 PM
jerryd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
24 inch vs. 28 inch Barrels regarding noise, Anybody have both?

Trying to decide between a 24 inch or 28 inch green mountain 10-22 barrel. Looking for the utmost in Quiet! This will be a range gun only and I will be shooting CCI standard velocity... Will I see a significant reduction in noise if I go to a 28 inch barrel over a 24 inch?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 05-26-2014, 06:34 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Longer will be quieter
Old 05-26-2014, 06:54 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Dear Jerry

While I do not have a 28 inch 10-22 barrel, I have lots of bolt action 22 rimfire firearms in multiple barrel lengths and I can tell you that the 28 inch bolt action 22 rimfire is significantly softer to the ears of the shooter when using subsonic ammo, be it CCI SV, Wolf MT, SK RM, Eley, RWS, and Lapua.

Unfortunately, to the neighbor next door (I live in a 10 acre lot subdivision and we are all shooters, actually compete against each other), he cannot tell if it is a 28 inch barrel, a 22 inch barrel, or an 18 inch barrel. What he can tell (and me too, the loose nut on the trigger) is when I chamber and shoot some high velocity stuff.

Like I said, I do not have much experience with the 10 22 but I am sure my observations on the bolt actions will assist you.

Regards,
Crankster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 08:29 PM
JNW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have CZs with 20.5" and 28.6" barrels and shot them over a chronograph last week. The velocity loss with SV ammo was only 20-29 fps out the 8.1" longer barrel. So, it is just a tiny bit slower and not much quieter. If it sounds less noisy to the shooter it is just because the muzzle is farther away. Some guys say they shoot SV ammo out of 28" barrels without any hearing protection-I tried that once with my Ultra Lux. I thought it was way to loud and value my hearing too much to do that again. A blind test wherein rifles were fired out of sight of the test subjects and they had to subjectively rate the noise level would be interesting. My two long barreled rifles, 26 & 28", have aperture sights on them. If you're not shooting open sights then the long barrels are just for a cool factor, which is reason enough to have one
Regards
Jeff
Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 PM
oldtimer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
IMO the 28 inch is more quite, I use only SV and have tested using friends/family some distance from my bench they certainly can hear the difference between my20" vs the 28". I have 2 -28" barrels, a 10/22 and a CZ UL, both are consistently more accurate then my 20" and 22" barrels, over a range of different ammo, others may have different results but I prefer the longer barrels.

From the shooter's point of hearing on the 10/22 basically all you hear is the movement of the bolt with SV ammo.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:46 AM
jerryd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Thanks Guys for your input.

I have a 24 inch barreled CZ and it is significantly quieter to me than 18 and 20 inch barrels when shooting CCI SV... just curious about the next jump in barrel length (28") particularly in a 10-22, will it be worth it for the quiet factor or just a heavier and longer implement to carry over to the range?

Thanks again for your advice,

Jerry

Last edited by jerryd; 05-27-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:22 AM
BIG SHOOTER

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
28" barrels are quiet. The bolt closing is louder. IMO i would look into other barrel makers you might have to go through a few GM barrels to get a good shooter.

Last edited by BIG SHOOTER; 05-27-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 AM
oldtimer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
Thanks Guys for your input.

I have a 24 inch barreled CZ and it is significantly quieter to me than 18 and 20 inch barrels when shooting CCI SV... just curious about the next jump in barrel length (28") particularly in a 10-22, will it be worth it for the quiet factor or just a heavier and longer implement to carry over to the range?

Thanks again for your,

Jerry
Jerry, I went with a taper 28" GM due to weight issues it's lighter and better balanced then the 18" Bull barrel I previously used. After 200 rounds it shooting under .400 @ 50 yards with sk plus, the barrel has a super nice bore easy to clean, very happy with it.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:51 PM
gunsmokeer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
weight

I've shot 26" barreled .22LR rifles before, and they ARE quiet with standard velocity ammo.
Accurate, too, yes, but I don't know if they're any more accurate than an 18" t0 22" barreled rifle with the same quality barrel with the same thickness.

I would probably NOT want the extra length and weight, unless I were shooting iron sights and really wanted the longest possible sight radius.

ONE LAST THOUGHT: If you put a 26" or 28" heavy barrel on a Ruger 10/22, wouldn't you want to have a special bedding job that includes the barrel, maybe with an extra screw going through the stock and tapping into the bottom of that bull barrel under the fore-end? Maybe free-floating the action and bed 18" of barrel only?

I don't think I'd want all that steel hanging off a short aluminum receiver, with the one and only action screw positioned a foot away from the natural balance point of the rebarreled rifle.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:35 PM
oldtimer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmokeer View Post
I've shot 26" barreled .22LR rifles before, and they ARE quiet with standard velocity ammo.
Accurate, too, yes, but I don't know if they're any more accurate than an 18" t0 22" barreled rifle with the same quality barrel with the same thickness.

I would probably NOT want the extra length and weight, unless I were shooting iron sights and really wanted the longest possible sight radius.

ONE LAST THOUGHT: If you put a 26" or 28" heavy barrel on a Ruger 10/22, wouldn't you want to have a special bedding job that includes the barrel, maybe with an extra screw going through the stock and tapping into the bottom of that bull barrel under the fore-end? Maybe free-floating the action and bed 18" of barrel only?

I don't think I'd want all that steel hanging off a short aluminum receiver, with the one and only action screw positioned a foot away from the natural balance point of the rebarreled rifle.
I can see where you may have a point one reason I went with the tapered barrel, it is free floated and I've experienced no problems. If I were hunting I would go with a shorter barrel but target shooting the long barrel does what I want.

Certainly I never try to convince anyone to take my direction, what I do try is give an honest opinion of my results over 50 years of shooting.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:09 PM
3 weelin geezer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well Jerry, we may soon know once I get a chance to try mine. I bought the one from Urban Rifle Supply. They claim its for .22 short but mine came with a .22LR chamber. I just haven't had time to go shooting lately.

Now, the speed test I cannot answer yet as I don't have a chronograph. Yet. I also want to shoot some milk jugs again with it but I haven't been feeling like milk lately. So no water filled milk jugs. Soon as I go, I am sure to bring back a video or two.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
At subsonic velocities you only need some precision measuring and a calculator to determine velocity

Get bore perfectly parallel to ground, put gun in vise.

Put target exactly 10m in front of rifle. Use laser, etc. to get a point on target that is exactly lined up with bore.

Fire one shot. Should be a few cm below the laser point. Measure exactly how far, and then figure out how much time it spent dropping - 9.8m/sec. That is time it took to cover the 10m, a little more math and you have an approximate mv. Repeat several times and then average.

I did this as a project in the 80s to make up for skipping too much physics class. Compared my calculated with an actual chronograph and I was off by less than 10fps
Old 06-13-2014, 12:46 PM
green22
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
more pressure reduction = quieter, so yes longer is quieter. You especially notice it with a suppressor and a bolt gun
Old 06-13-2014, 08:04 PM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smile Quiet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green22 View Post
more pressure reduction = quieter, so yes longer is quieter. You especially notice it with a suppressor and a bolt gun
A few years back, a friend came by to check out my new (to me) BSA martini with a TWENTY_NINE AND ONE HALF inch barrel. I gave him a box of Remington's subsonic, which brags about being quiet, and was gobsmacked when he fired it. Why did I spend all that money and time getting a suppressor? My friend has a 27" barrel'd old Remington bolt gun, which is quieter yet with CB Longs. Mortem ad sciuri !
Old 06-18-2014, 11:23 AM
chuckocaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the GM 28" barrel URS sells, and LOVE IT!!! I think you will too. It is quite long, but I've learned to deal with it. I live in Cali so we can't have "cans", this is as close as I can get around these parts. My rifle is set up with a Dragunov type stock, KIDD bolt and trigger, and a 4-16X scope with a mil dot reticle. It shoots accurately enough with most ammo, but I've had the best results with Winchester Long CB Match ammo. Never measured the groups, but they are always small ragged hole all bullets touching... Good enough for my "discrete varminting" adventures. I even bought one of the URS modified for shorts Ruger mags, pretty awesome!

Best of luck with your project! I started a thread when I built this rifle, so if you do a search you should be able to find it.