Squirrel Hunters! The Tree Kind! - Page 3459 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:46 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Those metal fish stringer clips work good too, I cut the clips off the stringers and hang them on my belt to carry squirrels. Horse blanket safety pins work good.

I used the sharp stick through the squirrel's hind foot for years until I lost one of the squirrels.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:36 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Old Hickory, you need me to come down there and follow you to make sure you don't drop any? Haha . We need to get together hunting this year. Are they having any gun shows down there this year?
Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 PM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sq Clip

For most of my life I used clips on my belt made from metal coat hangers or any kind of springy heavy wire. I would bend these about 3" long and clip one on my belt and just thread the straight end of the clip thru the lower jawbone of each squirrel. These get heavy and loaded up once you get three or four on there so I always had a 2nd clip in my gear pouch for good days. If you lose one just go the to closet and get another hanger. The crude drawing attached shows the general shape of these little jobbys. Lately Mrs Irish has taken to using plastic coat hangers which do not work. So, last year I went about looking for a better mousetrap. I came across the goose lanyards used by duck and goose hunters. They are leather and will hold up to nine or ten geese or squirrels which is more than enough. Each lanyard is looped around the neck of the game and the whole mess clips to your belt or day pack. Is it better? not really but it does work and you can either make your own from scraps of leather or paracord or buy one from Amazon or Ebay. Most have little steel or brass hog rings on the end like the one in the attached pic.

Irish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (277.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Lanyard.jpg (13.6 KB, 212 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 02:07 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
Old Hickory, you need me to come down there and follow you to make sure you don't drop any? Haha . We need to get together hunting this year. Are they having any gun shows down there this year?
Yeah on that, grg! I will sure let ya know if we have another show here. I am seeing a lot of breakfast squirrels we need to shoot.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:32 PM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG26_Irish View Post
For most of my life I used clips on my belt made from metal coat hangers or any kind of springy heavy wire.
Irish
I do the same thing! Those metal coat hangers you get from the dry cleaners make excellent squirrel clips and you can make 2-3 from a single hanger.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:33 PM
22 man

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Another place that has been taken over by Fox squirrels, I had let 5 go before I decided to thin them out.
Gun: Ruger 77/22 All Weather 22 LR Ammo: RWS HV HP
July 24 by ivan robison, on Flickr
Old 07-24-2019, 02:42 PM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Looks like you thinned them out pretty good
Old 07-24-2019, 02:44 PM
2ADreamer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Where???

Just once in my life I would like to take one of my 22's out for a day in the woods and pass up 5 squirrels then shoot a limit of 8 for dinner.

Been alive for 72+ years and never even came close. You live in a great place!
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 PM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ADreamer View Post
Just once in my life I would like to take one of my 22's out for a day in the woods and pass up 5 squirrels then shoot a limit of 8 for dinner.

Been alive for 72+ years and never even came close. You live in a great place!

Iím with you on this. However, Iíve only been alive for 45 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2019, 09:07 PM
Crow Feather
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Commo check from Crow Feather

Just checking in. Haven't been on here in a while and wanted to catch up. Glad to see everyone is still at it.
Crow Feather
Old 07-24-2019, 09:13 PM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Hey Crow, I'm glad to checked in. I was beginning to think you had a girlfriend on the side.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:50 PM
Crow Feather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE View Post
Hey Crow, I'm glad to checked in. I was beginning to think you had a girlfriend on the side.
I went inside and pulled down the shades and turned on the AC and swore I wouldn't go back outside again before October. Can't tolerate hot weather anymore, Sarge.
My camera and 500mm lens are laying in the floor where I left them here in my computer room after posting my last bird pics from Reelfoot Lake. When we got back from shooting birds there in late May it turned hot and I was finished.
What I have now is a renewed interest in revolvers and reloading. I just need some cool weather so I can go out and shoot up a bunch of reloads before the basement floor starts cracking.
Crow Feather
Old 07-25-2019, 05:50 AM
SARGE

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
I recently got interested in 32 cal revolvers after watching a video of the various 32 cal loads and their effectiveness when shot into ballistic gel. I was surprised at the performance of the old 32 S&W long.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:21 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have found the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achigan View Post
Could I get a look at the way y'all carry your dead squirrels? I use an old milspec day pack, but am wondering what better ways might be out there. Thanks from West central Indiana.
I have found the "U" shaped wire frames for all of the political signs to be excellent. As illustrated below!!! And the small piece of rubber hose protects you from the very pointy end that I prefer!!! 3 steps, one - cut to length (about 18 ' long), two - grind point to desired sharpness, three - bend as required, bottom horizontal leg is about 4 1/2 inches long. This will reliably hold a Virginia limit of 6. If you have a limit of 10 this design probably won't be sufficient, particularly if you limit out!!!

A stainless steel used car antenna from a scrap yard is the best material around. Will never rust but you need at least a good propane torch to bend it as that stuff is tempered and does not like to do sharp bends without being red hot.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:36 AM
MissedEm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=tfrank;11554537]I have found the "U" shaped wire frames for all of the political signs to be excellent. As illustrated below!!! And the small piece of rubber hose protects you from the very pointy end that I prefer!!! 3 steps, one - cut to length (about 18 ' long), two - grind point to desired sharpness, three - bend as required, bottom horizontal leg is about 4 1/2 inches long. This will reliably hold a Virginia limit of 6. If you have a limit of 10 this design probably won't be sufficient, particularly if you limit out!!!

This is what I use as well.