Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:08 PM
oldbird13
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Project gun for Grandson, Win 121 need help

I have tried but cannot figure out how to disassemble the bolt for the Win 121 bolt action .22lr. Single shot, so figured wise to start him off on but I do NOT want to give him his 1st rifle without confidence in knowing it works as intended. Most of stock work is complete but bolt and safety (part of bolt) are giving me fits. there is a "C" clip-like retainer clip on the end of the bolt but I fear removing it will be risky. clip moves freely around on the striker guide which appears to have a threaded rod coming out through it. The safety is very difficult to work and I will not give him this rifle until I know it is safe and works smoothly. That may not be possible since some of the older rifles did not have the smoothest working safeties, at least some I have come across. Thanks and Happy Holidays to all. Craig
Old 12-18-2014, 07:55 PM
s3dcor

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The safety resets every time the bolt is cycled. They would be hard to push down for most youngsters on every one I have seen. There is a finger on the safety that slides into a corresponding notch at the front of the striker head. You might try lubing it with some grease.

If you want to disassemble the bolt you will have to break out the "E-clip"

- To disassemble the bolt.
- break out the "E" clip
- Chuck the striker head in a vice and pull out gently while turning the head to unscrew it from the striker rod which is threaded.

The "E-clip" can be had at Ace Hardware, look for a 5/32 for about 50 cents.

I doubt there is really any reason to take the bolt apart other than to replace a broken firing pin.

Hope this info is helpful.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:36 PM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Win 121 help

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I removed the firing pin from the front by driving out the pin up near the front of the bolt, closest to cartridge when loaded, and it came out however the striker and spring remained in the bolt. I wondered if they were "corroded" into the bolt and might come flying out any moment but they didn't so I figured they came out the back end. I tried to remove the clip but didn't pry to hard and I didn't know you had to "sacrifice" the clip to remove the striker and spring. I was hoping to loosen up the safety some by cleaning, luring thoroughly but it sounds like they are difficult to move even in the best of shape. I will now attempt to follow your instructions and see how that goes. Have you taken a bolt apart or did you read/hear how to do it? Can the safety spring be easily accessed? Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 09:50 PM
s3dcor

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have taken a bolt apart. When I purchased mine the "E-clip" was missing and the striker head was not in the correct position. It has been a long time and I don't recall how the firing pin is secured. The way the "E-clip" sits in the striker head there is no way to pry it out so destroying it seems to be the only way. I don't know about the safety spring.

Last edited by s3dcor; 12-19-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:37 PM
hfenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had a 121 bought new in '67. The safety has always been a pretty good push to get off. I figured that was intentional to keep from inadvertently taking it off since it is right on top of the bolt.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:37 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i gotta pull mine out and check this - its been a good while since she has had any attention and she deserves better - besides i want to know just how hard that works