BUCK KNIFE collection forms here - Page 9 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)

Wouldn't be a bit surprised j.r. I was totally shocked to find absolutely NO ground edge on the 321. It also didn't have the scale/liner 'notch' for the nail nick on the primary blade. I corrected those items. The seller had another with same description about needing sharpening so I queried him about it. He replied that they were display only knives & so weren't sharpened. I'm pretty sure that Buck intended that anything with their name on it would cut . In any case I've read several places that Camillus continued manufacturing Buck knives up to the day their plant actually closed. That also may be an internet rumor but I'd not be surprised if some individuals acquired a stock of '2nds' or unfinished products & are 'cashing in' on the Buck name. If I'd thought about it before sharpening the 321 & grinding the nail nick notch, I'd have sent it to Buck in Post Falls, ID for an evaluation. Might still do it as I'm pretty sure they'd be interested in something that didn't 'measure up' to Buck standards.

Oh yeah, I sure appreciate your 'tip' on the info that BladesForum member '300Bucks' has compiled. I have that 'saved' to my hard drive along with his piece on the 321 models... I'm a real novice on Buck knives but learn a little more every time I see or acquire something new.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:09 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
You are welcome sir, knife fans have to stick together.

Old Buck 303 Cadet, this one has been around the block a time or two. I bought this from a friend who said his new knife replaced it.

I avoid the Buck manufactured China knives, but this multi-tool had some good reviews and I was curious. Pretty neat multi-tool, it was designed to allow one handed deployment of all its tools. Its the 730 Extract.

Comes with a nifty belt sheath too.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Recently added a couple to my growing (slowly) Buck accumulation. Month or so back I found an old, well worn Buck 311. Probably from late in the 1974-85 era, it has the small, arced nail nick, & model # on main blade tang but no date code stamp. 4 1/8" closed, it has a 3" clip type main blade & spey secondary. Both blades have been sharpened & resharpened multiple times & it appears the tips of both were damaged sometime in the past. Still has excellent snap on both blades & is easy to carry. A good find at under $20.

Next is a small 303 Cadet stockman design. 3 1/4" overall closed, it has the standard early Buck stockman design with a clip main blade, an adjacent sheepsfoot, & a spey blade at opposite end. Blades have been sharpened but knife is in generally good to excellent condition. Another good find at under $20.

I've been 'jonesing' for both of these but not willing to pay the price for pristine examples. The 311 will make a nice carry knife & the 303 is worthy of adding to the display shelf... Pretty sure they are both of Camillus mfg.

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Picked up a companion piece for my little Buck 303 posted above. That one was mfg'd by Camilus between 1974-85 & is considered an early model. This one was mfg'd by Schrade, probably 1967-71. It is a version 2, variation 1. Note the 'large' handle rivets (none except the earliest Camillus models had these & the rivet heads were much smaller), & the minimal 'swedge' running entire length of top of the main clip blade (the Camillus models only had the swedge going to near the 'top' of the blade arc. Also, this one has no model # on the main blade tang, the secondary blades have no stamp on the reverse tang, & the bolsters have no pins. It has a tiny curve on the tip of the main clip blade as if someone tried to 'pry' something with it. The Camillus knives seem to be a little more 'robust' than the Schrade models & have a somewhat different 'feel' in the hand. At 3 1/4" closed, either of them feel very good in the pocket. I'm very glad to find this one as they are pretty rare & usually pricey (got this one for 20 bucks - pun intended )

Easy to see the difference side-by-side
Old 09-19-2014, 07:33 PM
three50seven
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Great collections guys! I swear these things are addicting...
Here's what I have for now: 124, 120, 119, early 105, 118, and 50th anniv. 110

The 124 Frontiersman is such a BEAST of a knife!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Recently added a few to my slowly growing Buck folder accumulation - 1st is another Camillus mfg 301 (or what later became the 301). Probably a 2nd version, 1st variation as is has the smaller scale rivets, & no double brass liner, nor any model ID on reverse tang(s). I may have my versions slightly mixed up but it's close . Next is another Camillus mfg 303 small stockman. This one has been well used but is probably a 2nd version, 1st variation as it also has the small scale rivets but has a double brass liner on one side of backspring. Probably mfg'd 1971-74. Next is kind of an oddity, a 1988 Buck mfg'd 303 Work-Man with grey delrin scales. The late 80's Buck mfg'd knives are easy to ID because of the BUCK shield used, & the small 'nail nick' on the main blade. It too has been used somewhat but has generally been kept well. I can't afford to buy the pristine, unused collectibles so I generally 'make do' with what I can find.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:26 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Those are some pretty Bucks Nobody, Camillus made some fine contract knives. I've never seen that grey scaled material either - cool!
Old 11-03-2014, 04:47 PM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by three50seven View Post
Here's what I have for now: 124, 120, 119, early 105, 118, and 50th anniv. 110

I always like the 124... missed out on buying a couple one day I will..

VERY NICE!!

CW
Old 11-04-2014, 05:47 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Wow, how did I miss THAT one . . .

. . . that is an awesome collection of Buck sheath knives.

That Frontiersman looks like a heavy duty blade, makes the 120 General below it look almost dainty (which it isn't. Thanks for the picture of them.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Buzzsaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The top two I got from a friend and they are really old. I just put an edge on them with the Work Sharp. Middle one with the finger grooves I got in 1984 for my 10th birthday. Second from the bottom in a newer one from 2005. Bucklite is from 1990 and I carried it on my LBE when I was in the Air Force.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:07 PM
flyingsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)

Among all the knives I use and keep close, I have a Buck 107 that has the pouch sheath and a Bob Dozier custom made sheath. I wish I could post pics but alas.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Racer88
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Your post just cost me! I just ordered a Frontiersman. My first Buck. I have no practical use for it. But, I had to have it after seeing it and reading reviews.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:12 AM
three50seven

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You're very velcome....you won't be disappointed!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Racer88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You're very velcome....you won't be disappointed!
I've been collecting Spydercos for several years.

I had a Buck 110 a LONG time ago when I was a kid. Suddenly, they're appealing to me again.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Racer88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got my Buck Frontiersman today! It's worthy of the famous movie line, "That's not a knife... THIS is a knife!"

It's a beauty, too! I snapped a few quick pictures. More later.