AMT Challenge Edition - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

There is one currently listed on GB with a starting price of $850. Seller has tried selling it on Gunsamerica and I think AA also.

I contacted him and he claimed barrel was a Midway???? If that is the case then it wouldn't be a threaded receiver unless he had someone thread a Midway barrel he purchased. Also no Jewell trigger etc. Almost like somene purchased an AMT receiver and built it on his own??? Too much money for me for what I thought I would be getting so never persued further. HTH

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=210179784

Also it only has the regualar 22 3/8" grooved receiver? Mine and brothers both have a machined in Weaver rail with cross slots.

Respectfully,
Dennis

Last edited by SDWhirlwind; 01-12-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
^^^ Just in case someone finds the AMT Challenge Edition guns as interesting and intriguing as I do. Thanks again to all those who contributed thus far. More info appreciated.

Respectfully,
Dennis
Old 05-06-2011, 11:13 AM
charlesasmith
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
AMT Challenge

I have a Challenge model with a McMillian BR stock (3" forearm) made in Irwindale. I bought it last year due to having nostalga for the guns as a friend of mine clained to have worked for the company maching them. He also talked about the high degree of accuracy. Since he was a bench rest shooter and built up a range in San Fernando Valley to become a capable BR venue, I respected his opinion. Will be testing it with Lapua target ammo soon and hope it is a shooter. I really hope that it will surprise others shooting 50BR bolt guns.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 PM
xpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello,

I have a Challenge Edition II. I sent them a fajen stock and they put it together.

My jewell trigger is now like a 2 stage trigger ??? I don't like it as much as the single stage it was when new.
-- There is "first stage" movement of about 12 oz before it gets to the trigger weight set at just over 1lb now,
-- The sear engagement screw is only adjusted 1/2 turn from where it fires.
-- Suggestions welcomed

I think my accuraccy has dropped off some, I need to shoot it from the bench to verify this. I have about 7000 rounds through it.
-- Should I use some JB bore cleaner in it??
-- Again suggestions welcomed

Have a Nice Day

xpshooter

Last edited by xpshooter; 07-03-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:40 AM
shooter65

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Penetrating And Lubricating Oil

Marine Pal to be specific

http://users.techline.com/palfac/palproducts.html
Old 09-16-2011, 11:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Heh, shooter65, scrounged up another Challenge Edition barreled reciever. Bought from the estate of a smith and son didn't know squat about it, found it tucked away in a closet. SN just a bit under 500 and an AMT trigger that has been reworked and set at 2.5#.

Issue however is the barrel. Think he must have bought the reciever and did his own barrel work. Turned down to roughly .6ish at muzzle. Extractor groove cut with a dremel it looks like and extractor doesn't clear/catch rim properly. Also wasn't crowned completely. Had to make an aluminum collar to fit in my barrel vise as all my steel ones were too large. Got barrel off last night. Kind of a crude threading and fitting job. Going to redo extractor cut and crown and then see if it will shoot or I need to spend more money

Hope it will end up completed with the accuracy of my other.

Know a super rimfire smith that is 'cheap' to send this to if need be. Not sure how many have/will work on a 10/22 with threaded barrel??? Not into the rimfire repair/rebuild etc enough to know who is who out it the real world which is along way from where I live. LOL

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Respectfully,
Dennis
Old 09-16-2011, 11:02 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpshooter View Post
Hello,

I have a Challenge Edition II. I sent them a fajen stock and they put it together.

My jewell trigger is now like a 2 stage trigger ??? I don't like it as much as the single stage it was when new.
-- There is "first stage" movement of about 12 oz before it gets to the trigger weight set at just over 1lb now,
-- The sear engagement screw is only adjusted 1/2 turn from where it fires.
-- Suggestions welcomed

I think my accuraccy has dropped off some, I need to shoot it from the bench to verify this. I have about 7000 rounds through it.
-- Should I use some JB bore cleaner in it??
-- Again suggestions welcomed

Have a Nice Day

xpshooter
xpshooter, do you have a copy of the instructions for the Jewell triggers and how to adjust???? If not let me know as I have one or so around here and can make a copy and mail it. Don't have a scanner so that I can just email it. Let me know.

Respectfully,
Dennis
Old 09-16-2011, 05:42 PM
shooter65

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Dennis,

Nice snag on the AMT. Bummer about the barrel. Not sure who could do a re barrel for you. Maybe post a note here on RFC.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWhirlwind View Post
Heh, shooter65, scrounged up another Challenge Edition barreled reciever. Bought from the estate of a smith and son didn't know squat about it, found it tucked away in a closet. SN just a bit under 500 and an AMT trigger that has been reworked and set at 2.5#.

Issue however is the barrel. Think he must have bought the reciever and did his own barrel work. Turned down to roughly .6ish at muzzle. Extractor groove cut with a dremel it looks like and extractor doesn't clear/catch rim properly.
Also wasn't crowned completely. Had to make an aluminum collar to fit in my barrel vise as all my steel ones were too large. Got barrel off last night. Kind of a crude threading and fitting job. Going to redo extractor cut and crown and then see if it will shoot or I need to spend more money

Hope it will end up completed with the accuracy of my other.

Know a super rimfire smith that is 'cheap' to send this to if need be. Not sure how many have/will work on a 10/22 with threaded barrel??? Not into the rimfire repair/rebuild etc enough to know who is who out it the real world which is along way from where I live. LOL

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Respectfully,
Dennis
Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 PM
xpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Dennis,

I do have the original trigger instructions that came with the gun.

I just don't think this trigger is as nice as a KIDD, which could be why they don't make them anymore.

I can set it light, but when I set it as per the paperwork there is a slight bit of scratchy movment before it breaks. Just kind of annoying.

Xpshooter
Old 09-24-2011, 07:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
xpshooter
I have never shot a Kidd but can't believe they would feel any better than the Jewell I have?? Nothing of course against the Kidd just can't find any flaws with the Jewell. Brother has something like 13k rounds down his rifle using the Jewell and never any issues of any kind.

Sure they aren't all perfect though. Had another one I bought used a few years back and in a week moment sold it. Don't think it was probably quite as smooth as the one I have now but my memory isn't near as effective as having both side by side for a comparison.

Have you tried cleaning yours?? Don't take it apart as I have heard they are a b**ch to assemble for someone with no prior experience with the Jewells! Jewell recommends flushing their current triggers with lighter fluid and then letting things dry. Enough lube in the fluid to satisfy the internals. Perhaps you have some fine grit of sorts and/or powder residue that is causing issues???

Don't know much as to help you with them. Have about 10 Jewell 700 triggers but only the one 10/22 so nothing other really than shooting experience with them.

HTH
Respectfully,
Dennis
Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Just thought I would bring this AMT Challenge Edition back to the top in case someone was interested? Thanks everyone.

Respectfully,
Dennis
Old 08-02-2013, 06:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Been a year or more but just in case any other Challenge Edition owners haven't seen it or wish to post something new or questions.

Picked up another CE a few weeks back, this the "Elite" model with built in brake and bloop tube after it. Super nice package with 3.5x10 Leupy. This from Placerville Custom Shop whereas my other is Diamand Springs. I am one happy camper I must admit!!!!

Thanks.

Respectfully,
Dennis
Old 08-02-2013, 06:29 PM
shooter65

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Was this the one from BR Central?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
shooter65
Sure apologize for not getting back to you yet and Thank You so much for the heads up. Yes, it is that rifle. Absolutely fantastic and interesting gent to converse with and deal with. He is originally from SD but kitty corner in the state from where I am. He has grandkids but no grandkids that their mother(his daughter) would allow to own firearms. So he was thrilled that he had a chance to send/sell the rifle back to someone in SD where he still dreams of adventures when he was a kid growing up here. His brother who lived in Rapid City and he always came out to hunt with passed 3yrs ago and he has nobody to shoot with or spend time with out here so has sold off nearly all of his toys. I was humbled and honored to have done business with such a nice gent and Veteran. One of his last favorite possessions has a good home here in the middle of nowhere.lol
So shooter65 thanks again for helping me spend money on things I can't eat! Only thing better would have been if it had the stock from the one you owned on it, I sure did like that Purdy thing!! LOL

Respectfully,
Dennis
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 PM
shooter65

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
That is great news that you were able to purchase that AMT! Seems to be a small world also as to the story you told on the history of the Amt. Let us know how it shoots and you can always paint the stock!