Scope help needed - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:57 AM
toxo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I realise I'm coming late to the party here.
First off I'd like to thank Sophia, not just for the info but for the way she explains it. Really great job.

There is one thing I don't think was mentioned that can drive you mad with second hand scopes especially and that is centering the scope before zeroing to make sure you're not starting out with the adjustments already bottomed out.
Either count clicks and wind back to the middle or simply place a mirror on the front of the scope and match up the two crosshair images.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:32 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Thanks again, guys, for the kind words. I'm glad you're still finding them and finding them useful. Just an FYI, clicking on that circled-cross gizmo in my signature line will get you back here as well as other places you may find interesting.
And where might one find your "signature line?"
Old 01-15-2017, 08:35 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxo View Post
I realise I'm coming late to the party here.
First off I'd like to thank Sophia, not just for the info but for the way she explains it. Really great job.

There is one thing I don't think was mentioned that can drive you mad with second hand scopes especially and that is centering the scope before zeroing to make sure you're not starting out with the adjustments already bottomed out.
Either count clicks and wind back to the middle or simply place a mirror on the front of the scope and match up the two crosshair images.
Unless, of course, you want to be near bottom to give you the maximum amount of up-adjustment for long range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2017, 11:28 AM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wanted to talk about a few things that are not mentioned yet. Most relate to vintage optics, my interest area.

Fixed power versus variable. Most scopes today are variable power. Why? Because of the belief that multipurpose is always better. I don't really agree, and prefer fixed power. There are several reasons. With the dual purpose (dirt and street) motorcycles of my youth we used to say "It can do both, but not very good in the dirt, OR the street."

Optics have come a long way with precision manufacturing. Yet, some optical principals are incontrovertible. One is that the number of lenses, and the glass-to-air surfaces, determines how much light is lost in transmission. Lens coatings have come a long way, and they help reduce the loss. But some loss still occurs when the light goes between each lens. A variable lens has more optical elements and lenses. All that costs more money. A $50 variable scope can't have very high quality engineering or manufacturing. Or materials.....

The fittings and threads required for a variable create more room for alignment error, inert gas loss/fogging, and general breakdowns. I use a lot of optics that are 50, 75, even 100 years old. They are usually simple tubes with few moving parts. Will that 10-25X mil-dot with glowing LED recticle be working in 50 years? 15?

Optical science is about tradeoffs. You can build a 6X scope with few aberrations and good brightness. You can build a 20X with few aberrations. But it's a much more difficult engineering proposition to get a 9x-20x to be good across all powers. Most variables look pretty good at low-medium power settings, but start to have edge blur or worse as you get to maximum.

Most of us with variable scopes pick a power setting, and leave it there. I'm talking .22 shooters here, and ones that are plinking and hunting. Seldom have I ever seen someone adjusting the magnification up and down depending on plinking conditions. Variable power is a gimmick at worst, or at best a trade off to try to get multiple uses out of one scope.

This thread is about .22 scopes for new shooters. So I'm just saying, consider a fixed power, if you know you are going to just plink, or just hunt, or just do benchrest target. Because you'll never adjust the power setting on a variable once you find what you like. And the optics and longevity of a fixed power scope will probably be better.

Last edited by azshot; 08-14-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:54 AM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
azshot--that is what I say about mud/snow tires. Snow tires are just about extinct, at least around here.

M/S =who drives in mud and they are no good in snow.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:30 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few weeks ago a member had a question about barrel harmonics which I tried to help him with but assured him their were talented people on this forum who could give him a much better explanation. And along came Sophie and what a job she did. I am new here, only a member a few months but have learned so much from the members. Every day I look forward to logging on and reading the new posts. I was a cabinet maker for 27 years and after reading George's posts I learned several new things about wood finishing and restoration. Thanks so much for making me feel welcomed and for the information you share. Thank you, Profsrgary.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
At the bottom of her post. Click the yellow circle thingy on the left.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Wow. I know this post is several months old but I've just now found it. Sorry for the delay. Signature lines are found at the bottom of a member's post. Only Team RFC members may have signature lines and not all of them choose to use them. However, in my signature line you will find this little icon:

Clicking on it will take you to a page where I've collected up links to helpful tips and answers to frequently asked questions.

I see, however, that you have your options set to not display signature lines, which is why you had to ask the question. If you want to see signature lines you need to go into your User CP (control panel) and make the necessary changes.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azshot View Post
... you'll never adjust the power setting on a variable once you find what you like. And the optics and longevity of a fixed power scope will probably be better.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:26 PM
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
azshot- you might find some who disagree with some of what you post, but IME what you wrote ties in with what I've experienced. However, I've never owned a $1000 plus variable scope.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:27 AM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do have one other variable, a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 I bought back in the 1990s for hunting on a Ruger No. 1. I didn't know if I'd be needing a wide view in the woods for deer, or more power for plains elk. Even this one I set at about 8X and never move it. It's gotten Oryx, Elk, Deer..... I don't see the need for super magnifications on hunting rifles. But that's another topic.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:55 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I see, however, that you have your options set to not display signature lines, which is why you had to ask the question. If you want to see signature lines you need to go into your User CP (control panel) and make the necessary changes.
You mean we have options???
Old 08-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
You mean we have options???
The kewl kids do.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:38 PM
JEE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (66)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
STICKY!
Okay Al.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:58 AM
janejskelton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for these informative posts"Sophia".
Your post is very helpful for me.
Thank you RFC and thank you "Sophia" once again.

STICKY!!! STICKY!!! STICKY!!!