Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:00 PM
new pig hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 990 ..... light strikes of firing pin

Much of the time, my Marlin 990 works just fine.

On occasion, it will no-fire due to a very light strike of the firing pin. I can see a mark and indentation, but it's not enough to fire. Sometimes it happens three times in a row. I cycle the action by hand, ejecting the old round and a new round goes in. No fire. Hand cycle, no fire. Then everything works just fine for 10 rounds, then more problem(s).
  • I've had it apart many times for cleaning/scrubbing/oiling.
  • I installed a new hammer spring and a new firing pin. Didn't solve the problem.
  • The hammer is not sliding/dragging/touching the bolt and slowing down.
  • The firing pin moves freely in it's slot, and is long enough.
  • The bolt moves freely back & forth.
  • The breech face is clean and smooth.
  • The bolt face is clean and smooth.
  • The two ejectors move easily.
  • The bolt moves forward into full battery.
  • The recoil spring moves freely and does not hang up.
  • The hammer does not touch the recoil spring.

Thanks Much for any help and insight which can be provided as to why the light-strikes of the firing pin occurs.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:54 PM
sav99fan
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What ammo are you using.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:40 PM
new pig hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ammo used: Federal, CCI, and Remington Thunderbolt. The problem occurs with all three types of ammo.

Of interest, I also have a Glenfield Model 60, which is more or less "identical" to the Marlin 990. I've used the three ammo types in it, no problems whatsoever. It fires every time, every ammo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 07:04 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question:
Has it always been like this or is this a new problem.

If this is new...

A few suggestions.

Edit -wrong model- removed that part.

Remove the mag and check the headspace with feeler gages. They usually run around 0.045". If it's much more - you may have an issue with the bolt.

I like to assemble the firing pin into the bolt front dry and then put on the extractor with no spring. Then shake it back and forth - the fp should rattle free.

I also like to check the FP protrusion on the bolt with the bolt out. The FP should come out pretty close to the end of the bolt.

Last edited by truckjohn; 07-12-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:26 PM
new pig hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A new problem. The Marlin actually belongs to a friend of mine and he asked me to fix it. Up until recently, it was trouble free.

I will measure headspace.

The firing pin slides freely in the bolt. Gravity makes it slide down, then turn it over and it slides freely in the other direction. Removing the little side-to-side retaining pin which holds the firing pin in place in the bolt: the firing pin slides freely in the entire slot in the bolt.

Checked with the bolt removed: firing pin protrusion from the bolt is sufficient.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:39 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does it light hit if you single load a bullet into the chamber and push the bolt all the way forward manually?

Can you post some pix of the light hits?
Old 07-13-2019, 12:39 PM
new pig hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
(I got a double post, so I deleted this one).

Last edited by new pig hunter; 07-15-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:55 PM
new pig hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Headspace is .048"

I have not tried to manually load one single round at a time. On many occasions when a round is loaded into chamber, I will hit the charging handle to push the bolt forward, just to do it and the bolt has always felt that it is fully forward. Most of the time it then fired, yet on a few occasions it did not fire.

Here are some pictures of 3 light hits, and 3 fired. Same cartridges, taken from 3 angles to get the sunshine to highlight the indent ......

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57365_600x400.jpg

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57364_600x400.jpg

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57363_600x400.jpg

Here are some pictures of a round chambered and the bolt fully forward:

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57368_600x400.jpg

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57367_600x400.jpg

Here are some pictures of the bolt fully forward, no round loaded:

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57370_600x400.jpg

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57371_600x400.jpg

http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57371_600x400.jpg
Old 07-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new pig hunter View Post
A new problem. The Marlin actually belongs to a friend of mine and he asked me to fix it. Up until recently, it was trouble free.

I will measure headspace.

The firing pin slides freely in the bolt. Gravity makes it slide down, then turn it over and it slides freely in the other direction. Removing the little side-to-side retaining pin which holds the firing pin in place in the bolt: the firing pin slides freely in the entire slot in the bolt.

Checked with the bolt removed: firing pin protrusion from the bolt is sufficient.
With respect....how do you know it is " sufficient"?
If it was sufficient it would fire.

One other instance I had with an auto once whilst messing with light bolt springs was that I fitted that light a bolt spring the hammer would actually use the firing pin to jack the bolt rearward! That was a Remington 597 though.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:47 PM
new pig hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ratdog,
an excellent question, "what constitutes sufficient."

In my above post l included links to several pictures. When I look at this particular picture noted below, and when I apply my own experience, I see that the firing pin is almost touching the breech face. That makes me believe there is plenty of firing pin travel to make a big divot in the cartridge rim.

No Round In Chamber, Firing Pin Fully Forward: http://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/57371_600x400.jpg

And that is the question I am asking: why am I getting light strikes ?? Obviously the firing pin is not moving forward a sufficient amount to fire the round. Why is that ??
Old 07-15-2019, 04:41 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My next strategy would be to meticulously clean the chamber. 22 semi-auto chambers are notorious for getting thick lead and carbon buildup inside them which makes them run BAD... and worse - they are hard to really clean well.

You will need to make/use the L-shape chamber brush and probably multiple long soaks with Goof-Off on patches stuffed up in the chamber. Remember the chamber is only about 3/4" long - so if the patch disappears way up past the breech face - it's in the barrel, not the chamber.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:18 PM
new pig hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, I'll clean the chamber as you note.

Thanks Much for the advice.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:29 PM
new pig hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FIXED !!

The least likely solution, installing a new recoil spring, solved the problem. I'd have not guessed that as a solution.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:03 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new pig hunter View Post
FIXED !!

The least likely solution, installing a new recoil spring, solved the problem. I'd have not guessed that as a solution.
Who woulda thunk? Congratulations on getting the FIX IN.