Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:50 AM
jkv45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New PPQ .22

Just bought a PPQ .22, and have about 150 trouble-free rounds through it so far.

Shot 5 types of SV and target ammo, with only 2 instances where the slide failed to stay back after the last round.

I have a few .22 pistols, including an original High Standard Citation and the new Taurus TX22, but for just messin' around the PPQ is my favorite.

It's a little heavier than the TX and has better sights and trigger, and the overall feel of the gun is great.

They do get ripped for not being a "true" PPQ, as they are apparently not made in Ulm and are not striker-fired, but for a .22 of it's type it's pretty decent.

It's not a target gun (I've not rested mine, but others have gotten some very good groups), but just a solid overall .22 that's a blast to shoot.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those are good pistols from all the reviews I read. I'd really like the 5"er but the grip is the same size as the PPQs and is just a tiny bit too large for my girly hands. Walther makes the full size Smith M&P and it gets high marks as well. Internally they are similar. I wouldn't count out accuracy.....these are a step up from the P22 and my target P22 will put five rounds in a 5/8" group at 25M when fired from a Ransom type rest. I don't know how much more accurate a fellow needs unless he is in some serious shooting competition. The sear hooks over the hammer top and apparently owners really like the trigger. All the beans are apparently going into the PPQ line and they are getting a lot of what I've been arguing for on the P22....like, a lighter aluminum slide, better sights, better extractors....your pistol got em all. It should be a keeper. Have fun and keep us posted. There are not enough reviews on this pistol.

Actually I should say the new P22 QD has been really improved, the Umarex .22 PPK runs fine and your pistol is the top of the line....except perhaps for the 5" version,
Should be an excellent trainer for the similar sized PPQ in 9mm or 45. 1917
Old 03-28-2019, 09:53 PM
CZemplary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Just bought a PPQ .22, and have about 150 trouble-free rounds through it so far.

Shot 5 types of SV and target ammo, with only 2 instances where the slide failed to stay back after the last round.

I have a few .22 pistols, including an original High Standard Citation and the new Taurus TX22, but for just messin' around the PPQ is my favorite.

It's a little heavier than the TX and has better sights and trigger, and the overall feel of the gun is great.

They do get ripped for not being a "true" PPQ, as they are apparently not made in Ulm and are not striker-fired, but for a .22 of it's type it's pretty decent.

It's not a target gun (I've not rested mine, but others have gotten some very good groups), but just a solid overall .22 that's a blast to shoot.

The PPQ .22 is made at the Ulm plant right alongside the other PPQ line. I confirmed this with Walther before I bought mine.

The P22 is produced at the Arnsberg Umarex plant.

My PPQ .22 has been trouble free suppressed and unsuppressed for 3000 rounds or so.

Last edited by CZemplary; 03-28-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 08:02 AM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZemplary View Post
The PPQ .22 is made at the Ulm plant right alongside the other PPQ line. I confirmed this with Walther before I bought mine.

The P22 is produced at the Arnsberg Umarex plant.

My PPQ .22 has been trouble free suppressed and unsuppressed for 3000 rounds or so.
There is sooo much disagreement on that!

The proof marks suggest otherwise, and I've heard people say they were positive it was not produced alongside the other PPQ models, but I'm not too concerned. The other PPQs do have "Ulm" stamped on the receiver, the .22 does not.

The PPQ has better materials (solid aluminum slide) than the P22 and has a quality look and feel to it. It has been functioning well with lower velocity ammo also.

I can't complain, no matter where it's actually produced.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:41 AM
CZemplary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
There is sooo much disagreement on that!

The proof marks suggest otherwise, and I've heard people say they were positive it was not produced alongside the other PPQ models, but I'm not too concerned. The other PPQs do have "Ulm" stamped on the receiver, the .22 does not.

The PPQ has better materials (solid aluminum slide) than the P22 and has a quality look and feel to it. It has been functioning well with lower velocity ammo also.

I can't complain, no matter where it's actually produced.
People say lots of things on the internet without verifying them with a known source of accurate information. That's why I try and go straight to the source. Especially, when I'm purchasing something, I knew for a fact that I didn't want to buy it if it came out of the Arnsberg Umarex plant. And with the horror stories that abound about the Walther P22, and with my great experiences with the PPQ .22 it seems to verify that what Walther told me and that it is produced alongside the PPQ lines at the Ulm plant, and the quality and attention to detail (such as the steel slide stop pin) of the PPQ tells a story in itself.

Last edited by CZemplary; 03-30-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:32 AM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That reply from Walther would sure suggest it is made in Ulm.

The part that doesn't make sense then are the proof marks. It has the "3 crowns" on the barrel, which is the mark from Cologne, which is supposed to be associated with the Umarex factory in Arnsberg.

The proof mark for Ulm is an Antler mark, and the Walthers I've seen with that mark on the slide also have "Ulm" stamped on the left side of the receiver.

Really for me it doesn't matter, I'm very satisfied with the quality of the gun, but it's interesting how much contradictory info there is.

German Firearms proof marks - https://modernrifleman.net/2015/11/1...rman-firearms/
Old 03-29-2019, 11:53 AM
CZemplary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll reach out to Glenndon again at Walther and show him my proof marks and have him explain as to why it was proofed at Cologne ('three crowns) rather than the Ulm proofhouse ('stag').

It doesn't change my opinion on my particular pistol as my example has been utterly reliable and accurate, but it would satisfy my curiousity; as the only reason I considered buying it was that it was produced in Ulm in the beginning.

Last edited by CZemplary; 03-29-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:09 PM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I'll reach out to Glenndon again at Walther and show him my proof marks and have him explain as to why it was proofed at Cologne ('three crowns) rather than the Ulm proofhouse ('stag').

It doesn't change my opinion on my particular pistol as my example has been utterly reliable and accurate, but it would satisfy my curiousity; as the only reason I considered buying it was that it was produced in Ulm in the beginning.
Thanks - I'm curious as well.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:13 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd suggest reading line #2 of the confidentiality agreement. While you might summarize what you have been told...posting the e-mail might not be appreciated. I discussed a number of things with the chief engineer, many times being told not to post the inside information I received on the Forums. Just suggesting you be a bit cautions there. 1917
Old 03-30-2019, 07:34 PM
CZemplary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
I'd suggest reading line #2 of the confidentiality agreement. While you might summarize what you have been told...posting the e-mail might not be appreciated. I discussed a number of things with the chief engineer, many times being told not to post the inside information I received on the Forums. Just suggesting you be a bit cautions there. 1917
Thanks should have read that. I removed the email. Iíll speak in generalities from this point forward.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:57 AM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any news from Walther?

I'm really surprised there isn't more interest in the PPQ .22. There seems to be a fair amount of people that will buy the P22, even though it can be problematic and has lower quality materials - but it is cheaper.

If I had purchased the PPQ first I most likely would have not purchased the Taurus TX22. They are similar in many ways, and both function well and feel well-made, but for basically the same price the Walther is better IMO.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:03 AM
CZemplary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Still haven't heard, maybe Glenndon doesn't work for them anymore. I'll try and reach out through their website and fill in a new person on the conversation and see if I can get an answer.

There really is no comparison between a P22 and PPQ 22, it is on a different level of quality in my opinion.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:17 AM
CZemplary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I emailed their customer support and got an answer from another Walther Arms 'Gun Tech' posted below:

"It isn’t uncommon for one proof house to be overwhelmed and for Germany to use one or more on the same run of pistols. It just depends on delivery date requirements and any holidays that may be coming up. We don’t get too much information on specific reasoning for certain periods but that the best we could figure out."

So they are sticking to the fact that the PPQ .22 is produced in Ulm alongside the other PPQ line, but do to time constraints on their proof houses they sometimes do a large run at a proof house not in the same area.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 AM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I emailed their customer support and got an answer from another Walther Arms 'Gun Tech' posted below:

"It isnít uncommon for one proof house to be overwhelmed and for Germany to use one or more on the same run of pistols. It just depends on delivery date requirements and any holidays that may be coming up. We donít get too much information on specific reasoning for certain periods but that the best we could figure out."

So they are sticking to the fact that the PPQ .22 is produced in Ulm alongside the other PPQ line, but do to time constraints on their proof houses they sometimes do a large run at a proof house not in the same area.
Will he confirm or deny that they are produced in Ulm?
Old 04-05-2019, 10:38 AM
CZemplary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He didn't dispute what the previous Walther person said, that the PPQ .22 is produced in Ulm. It was a pointed question to the first gentleman which confirmed in few words that it was produced in Ulm.

The second Walther tech replied that the reasoning behind the proof marks is that they don't have specific proof houses for their manufacturing facilities, they may have a strong tendency towards using one proof house but it isn't a rule. If one proof house gets backed up they send a run of guns to another.

I've got my answer, I'm not chasing the rabbit any further. The PPQ .22's are produced in Ulm according to Walther Arms. And my experience with my PPQ as well as others online would suggest by their reliability and reputation that they are not an Arnsberg plant firearm. I will not buy anything out of that facility, too many issues I've read about with those firearms.