Consensus on Ruger Mk IV Firing Pin swap w/VQ trigger kit? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Consensus on Ruger Mk IV Firing Pin swap w/VQ trigger kit?

Folks: I have placed an order for a Mk IV Standard, which should be arriving at my FFL later this week. I have already decided to put in the VQ tigger/sear kit, based on my experience with other Ruger Mk pistols, and the experiences of those on this forum with the Mk IV. Purpose is plinking and informal target shooting, but I have VQ sears and triggers in several Mk II pistols and like how they perform.

It sounds like, having read a bunch of posts here on RFC, folks are having better luck installing the whole VQ kit, including the VQ hammer. I also notice that no one seems to be just selling, say, a replacement Mk IV sear as was common with the earlier iterations of this design (Mk II, for instance).

This brings me to the firing pin. Is there a consensus here about the value of doing the firing pin/extractor at the same time (these would be TK items), or is this a "shoot, then wait and see" sort of thing? Assume for the purposes of your answers (if any) that the pistol will have the lighter VQ hammer installed in place of the OEM part.

Alternatively, I see that our own Test Engineer has run some ignition tests with a variety of variables including firing pin swap. Sounds like he had better results with an older OEM Mk II firing pin than with the aftermarket "upgrades."

Thoughts? Collective wisdom? Red warning flags?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:11 AM
TerryMSU

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On my Mark iv 2245 Lite, I did need to replace my firing pin. Volquartsen sent me one for free when I contacted them. Solved both misfire and extraction issues that I had after I did the volquartsen accurizing kit. Not sure how well this will translate to the standard Mark iv.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just picked up my Mk IV Standard last week. I haven't really decided yet if I'm going to keep it, but I dug into it a little to see what I think it really needs.

You can't see the sear with the mag disco thing in the way, so I pulled the hammer out to look at the sear. It has that "speckled" surface typical of cast parts. I think if I polish it and the hammer notch, they can work pretty well. I noticed that the hammer notch marks on the sear show excessive engagement (ie. creep). I think I could replace the mag disconnector with a spacer washer having a 7/16" OD and reduce the creep the same amount as the VQ bushing would do. I already have a VQ hammer, and it has some things about it that I believe reduce it's effectiveness to be less than the Ruger hammer. I would use an original MKII hammer (and bushing) if I was going to replace it with anything.

While I had the hammer out, I aligned the disconnector up with the sear and checked the trigger pull. Yuck! I'd estimate that about 3 lbs. of the 5.5 lb. total trigger pull comes from the VERY thick sear spring. It appears that the VQ kit supplies a regular sear spring like was in the earlier pistol kits. That replacement is where I think most of the trigger improvement is coming from - not from the sear itself like in earlier pistols.

I would definitely want to add an adjustable trigger. I'm thinking the Majestic Arms trigger looks like a good candidate, since I haven't tried theirs yet. I hear good reports from people that have tried them.

The firing pin is a "replace now" part, while the extractor is a "wait and see". I think Ruger has improved the quality of their extractors a whole lot during the last year or so.

I like the older Ruger FP the best. It gives me a very good starting point to modify from compared to the aftermarket and current Ruger pins. Frankly, no drop-in FP is going to eliminate light-strikes completely when you use certain brands of ammo commonly referred to as "bad ammo".

My MKIII with a "frictionless" hammer group and modified FP produced 20k consecutive no-failure shots. This included thousands of Super-X, Golden Bullets, Auto-Match, American Eagle, and Aguila Super HV. I no longer believe in "bad ammo". However, this same FP placed in my "mostly stock" MKII with a weaker MS didn't produce as good of results. It also had some negative effects on accuracy. So I'm testing a new version of the mod to see if I can combine reliability and accuracy, and have it work just as well in the MKII. Early results are looking good, but less than a brick fired so far between both guns. I'll share the FP tip design that works best when testing can prove it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2018, 12:09 PM
KTGunsmithing
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
This brings me to the firing pin. Is there a consensus here about the value of doing the firing pin/extractor at the same time (these would be TK items), or is this a "shoot, then wait and see" sort of thing?
Replacing the firing pin is a good idea because the originals are breaking. It's not worth waiting to see if it will damage the barrel face after it breaks. TK firing pin works well.
Might as well replace the extractor while you're replacing the firing pin. "Best" extractors are TK or Tactical Solutions, at least IMHO.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Thanks for the replies. Parts are on their way, including the TK firing pin and extractor. I am happy to try polishing the Ruger sear and transfer bar. That doesn't seem like a lot of extra work.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:27 PM
Cool22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I installed the VQ trigger pac and the TK firing pin in mine. I'm happy with both.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:45 PM
ditto1958

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A friend at at the range has one. The stock trigger was horrid. He put a whole bunch of VQ stuff in, and now the trigger is passable. He shoots the gun really well. Recently he had a broken firing pin. Itís a good gun, my friend likes it a lot, but he was pretty disappointed by the recall, as well as having his firing pin break.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:01 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Does anyone know whether Ruger is replacing broken firing pins with a newer design, or just supplying a new version of the same part? Broken firing pin(s) (plural) is a surprising problem in a new pistol.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:48 PM
lil_Glock

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was having light strikes after installing the Volquartsen accuracy kit in the MKIV.

Volquartsen sent me a surefire firing pin free of charge. It took care of the issue.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Thanks for the replies. Parts are on their way, including the TK firing pin and extractor. I am happy to try polishing the Ruger sear and transfer bar. That doesn't seem like a lot of extra work.
Right after changing the trigger (to TK Victory) and the sear\disconnector (to VQ) in my new MkIV Hunter & 22\45 Lite, then added the TK titanium FP and the TK Extractor. So far, so good!

Ted