CCI 17 Mach 2 at Cabelas for $8.99 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:03 PM
SteelPig
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to SteelPig Send a message via AIM to SteelPig

Set for life on M2 I think.

just about 20k left of Eley for blasting.

And just shy of a full case of NTX for hunting here in Cali.

Just gotta keep it mixed up with the rest of the RF and not count on the M2 too much. Hard to do with how sweet it shoots.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:42 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tim View Post
hornady manufactures it?s own 17 mach2 ammo. Call them, they will confirm. They are making lots of it right now.
That is a new development than, as CCI has made ALL of Hornadys rimfire ammo. The M2 uses the CCI Stinger casing, regardless of who made it, is my understanding.

Hornady, manufactures little to no ammunition. Just the components.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:18 PM
Big Tim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
It has been the last couple years, I think 2014 cci discontinued it and hornady got the equipment and started the process to make it. The hornady ammo is better quality than the cci made ammo. New runs are more consistent without the split necks and flyers that to me almost doomed the cartridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Stripekiller
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
It has been the last couple years, I think 2014 cci discontinued it and hornady got the equipment and started the process to make it. The hornady ammo is better quality than the cci made ammo. New runs are more consistent without the split necks and flyers that to me almost doomed the cartridge.
phone number for Hornady to confirm this please? I really want to find out.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:37 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
And you will find out that Hornady doesn't produce a single round of rimfire ammunition themselves, CCI manufacturers the ammunition, Hornady does make the bullets, thus it has always been. The only other company to ever have made .17m2 was Eley, long out of production.

Make the call.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Big Tim

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I did more research on this subject and found posts where in emails Hornady rep claim to be producing the ammo, hornady web site says they hand inspect every shell before it leaves their factory. It seems maybe misleading and is possible that the factory is cci contract.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:13 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I did more research on this subject and found posts where in emails Hornady rep claim to be producing the ammo, hornady web site says they hand inspect every shell before it leaves their factory. It seems maybe misleading and is possible that the factory is cci contract.
CCI is the contract. Eley does not hand inspect every round of Tenex. Rest assured, that Hornady is not inspecting every round of CCI manfactured Hornady 17hm2.

Search through a couple if the Hornady posts in the past year and you will find several issues, just looking at the rounds in the box.

With that being said the CCI branded 17hm2 is exciting stuff for us in the M2 crowd. Who did not get in on the $3.99 a box of Eley extravaganza.

It has been an exercise in scrounging up frustration for a bunch of people.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Big Tim

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
my main point in the hand inspection claim is that they were claiming ownership of the factory. Could possibly be like Burris that has its employees overseeing production in the Philippine plant. The new m2 ammo is much better based on my own firing. I did get in on the eley close out but bring a younger family man I couldnít sock away a lifetime supply. If you look on Gunbroker you can find new hornady ammo at about $9/box if you by two bricks with very reasonable shipping.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:32 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Point us to these posts or cut and paste them here, I've had conversations with Hornady, CCI and Winchester about their .17m2 and .17hmr but I'm willing to learn something new.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:01 PM
Big Tim

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The hand inspected statement is from Hornady web site. Thereís a post on this site from 2015 where the cci co rep says they discontinued the m2 and the only available ammo will be from Hornady. This may be where I assumed that hornady would be making it. Hornady says it reserves machine time and I recall a response to an inquiry about hornady taking more control over quality but I canít find that one again. They mustíve had some input over it because the ammo is measurably better. I wonder if aguila could produce it, they used eley priming in the old 17 aguila ammo, blew my converted ruger up with some overcharged ammo and have shied away from it even after they replaced the ammo.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:43 PM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Old 11-17-2017, 10:15 PM
Tackdriver22250

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via AIM to Tackdriver22250
Got my two bricks and I'm a happy camper. One thing I noticed is that after playing with them, I had some black stuff on my hand. It looks like it's coming off the polymer tip. In the photo below I drew a line with one. Another thing to notice is a pronounced run around the polymer tip as well. Now all I need is some time to test them out.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Hdawg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steel pig, is that current or recent production on that NTX? I?m in California also and would love to get some of that.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:16 PM
SteelPig
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to SteelPig Send a message via AIM to SteelPig
Last run of NTX several years old. I run through 2-3 boxes a year on my own for Rabbit season. My Daughter and Son burn just about a box each for rabbit and squirrel. I have been able to give a few boxes to members here that hunt the same areas as I have met them in the field. Mostly down in the Los Padres. Started out with two bricks and found it acceptable for MORH minute of rabbit head. Lucking into a case when Grafs had it in stock. Still use the Eley and Fast and Furious for the Beldings.
I shoot a 1702 while the kids share a 1502. Have not seen much of the NTX since I got my case. Been looking for some HMR NTX but no luck although I have 33 Boxes of CCI green.
Still looking for some CCI copper or Winchester Tin l.r..
Did happen to score a case of CCI green WMR though.

Acceptable in the A-bolt but could tear up major meat on small game. All but the Winchester Tin is pretty Gory and will leave a bloody mess.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:24 PM
fanofde4ever

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via AIM to fanofde4ever
Quote:
This is what CCI told me when I inquired about HM2 ammo back in May of this year.

"Cameron,

We discontinued the CCI 17 Mach II ammunition the beginning on 2014 and have no current plans to bring it back, the only current source for new ammunition will be from Hornady. As for the Hornady ammunition we do make that still and it is made when contracts are made with Hornady to do so."

Never emailed Hornady on the subject, cause I already knew they didn't manufacture it.