MS350B price check -PICS- - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 PM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Stuck screw

I just spent d%$n near a month with a similar problem. Nothing worked, not heat, not PB Blaster, not oils, not anything recommended on RFC. . . . NADA.

Ended up by freezing the stuff in a freezer for a couple of days, applying a small soldering iron to the female portion of the part which expanded the female threads away from the still frozen screw male threads and it came right out.

As near as I can tell it had Blue Loctite on it but that is only an opinion. Cleaned the stuff off, dried the parts cause they got a lot of moisture on em when they "thawed out", rescrewed it in with only a light coating of oil on it.

I was about 30 minutes away from cutting it off with a Dremel and/or my milling machine before I decided to try freezing it. Only reason I thought of that was because one time I got some Acra-Glass in the female portion of a bedding screw and ended up freezing the stock/action etc. and it came loose the same way. Gotta screw something up, at least I do, before I learn anything.

noremf(George)

Last edited by noremf; 08-23-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 PM
CZU
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noremf View Post
I just spent d%$n near a month with a similar problem. Nothing worked, not heat, not PB Blaster, not oils, not anything recommended on RFC. . . . NADA.

Ended up by freezing the stuff in a freezer for a couple of days, applying a small soldering iron to the female portion of the part which expanded the female threads away from the still frozen screw male threads and it came right out.

As near as I can tell it had Blue Loctite on it but that is only an opinion. Cleaned the stuff off, dried the parts cause they got a lot of moisture on em when they "thawed out", rescrewed it in with only a light coating of oil on it.

I was about 30 minutes away from cutting it off with a Dremel and/or my milling machine before I decided to try freezing it. Only reason I thought of that was because one time I got some Acra-Glass in the female portion of a bedding screw and ended up freezing the stock/action etc. and it came loose the same way. Gotta screw something up, at least I do, before I learn anything.

noremf(George)
I guess I'll try the traditional methods first and use the freezer as a last resort, that means the rifle will have to be taken apart, the proper screwdriver will have to be found to do this. Sure don't want to buggar up the slots..

Thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 06:54 AM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAhunter View Post
Here's a couple more pics, the seller must have the worst camera!
Has anyone ever seen the little inletted factory plaque as shown in first pic?

MOA,
I'm coming in way late on this discussion (how did I miss all this?!), but I'll offer my $.02.
First of all, finding TWO MS350B's in a short period of time is about like winning the lottery as far as odds go, at least here south of the border. Sounds like you Canadians have been hoarding all of those MS Mausers;-)
As for the brass plate, to me it looks rather amatuerishly applied for German work, the Phillips screws notwithstanding, and it may just be the photography, but the stock cartouche looks like it was sanded and/or filled with something at some point. I would not be surprised if the brass plate had not been reduced in size, since to just have the generic word "Metallwerk" (metal works) seems quite odd for the thorough Germans.
In any case, those are all very nice Mauser sporters. Even though you posted them in the military trainer section, they were never used as such.
The last picture you showed with your rifles shows a nice collection. I'm sure you're aware that the third rifle down is not German, but Chinese, based on a Czech designed action
I'd love to get my hands on one of those Anschuetz MPR's let alone an MS350B to pair up with my ES350B.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:25 AM
noremf

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Stuck screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZU View Post
I guess I'll try the traditional methods first and use the freezer as a last resort, that means the rifle will have to be taken apart, the proper screwdriver will have to be found to do this. Sure don't want to buggar up the slots..

Thanks
I would and did also. Just "venting" on mine. If I coulda found the guy that did it I probably would have blue loctited the keyhole on his car.

noremf(George)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:04 PM
MOAhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
gewehrfreund

Thanks for weighing in on this.
A thousand pardons for posting this thread in the wrong section. I realize they never were trainers but forgot about the misc/other category and figured the trainer section would do. I know better now.
I also know the JW-25 is Chinese, but as I don't plan on starting a Chinese RF collection, I'll place it there with the Krauts. It's a replica of a German rifle, if that counts.
A couple months ago I never knew Mauser even made rimfires, until i saw the MS350 pictured below, which I missed. I was reluctant to buy it, because I bought a minty 1966 KKJ, possibly unfired, the day before. Couple days later, after I did some research I wanted to buy the MS350 that was for sale but narrowly missed it, because I took too much time thinking about it.
In retrospective, I really should have bought it despite being re-blued and having a mis-matched rear sight - that is one amazing looking original stock! Didn't realize original unaltered stocks would be more difficult to locate than original matching actions.
Disappointed after missing the first one, I placed a WTB add that yielded the two previously discussed rifles. I bought the second one in post 23 - https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...9&postcount=23 - for $1000 with 3 MAS45 mags.
How about that, came across three MS350s in two weeks!
I'd really be surprised though, if there were even a half dozen north of the border.

Later,
GM

Last edited by MOAhunter; 08-28-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:54 PM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
GM,
They're great guns and are addictive. Beautiful picture of your MS350B!
I'm more than a little envious, or is it jealous. Either way, you can be proud to own such rare and nicely preserved pre-war 22 sporters.

I can never decide which I like better; Ruger #1 rifles, the pre-war German sporters, or other uncommon single shots. That's probably why I dabble in all three, though the Rugers have a little tighter hold on me since they are somewhat easier to find and afford.
Lance