Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:13 PM
s002wjh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
good target 22lr

any recommendation for an accurate/reliable 22lr target pistol?
Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Give us an idea of what sort of pistol you are looking for when you say "Target pistol"...

For example -
Like an Olympic free pistol like a Hammerli 104
Or...
An S&W 41 bullseye pistol
Or..
Like a heavy barrel Browning buckmark?
Or...?
Old 07-16-2019, 04:39 PM
s002wjh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
something like buckmark or ruger mk 4 (regular pistol grip, 5-6" barrel). not olympics type pistol. mainly used for target purpose at the range.

i was attempt to get a ruger mk 4 hunter/target, but not sure if there are other 22lr out there thats comparable/better to mk 4. i have no idea whats out there other than some popular brand like ruger mk series.

prefer something under $1k.

Last edited by s002wjh; 07-16-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 07:08 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So you have a few good choices. New there's the Ruger Mk IV and the Browning Buckmark plus the Volquartsen version of the MkIV.

Used would be a S&W 41 or an old Hi Standard or Colt Woodsman or Sig Trailside/ Hammerli Xesee if you can find one. The Sig Hammerli is a fantastic gun - but parts and service are in question now.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:16 AM
s002wjh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
Used would be a S&W 41 or an old Hi Standard or Colt Woodsman or Sig Trailside/ Hammerli Xesee if you can find one. The Sig Hammerli is a fantastic gun - but parts and service are in question now.
hows the accuracy of these pistol compare to MK IV? also easy to take down and clean? i'm guessing parts are bit difficult to come by for these pistol?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:33 AM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have one and highly recommend a Volquartsen Scorpion, you can find them at just a hair over your $1k budget. I have a Ruger, Buckmark, and a Scorpion. The Scorpioin is by far the best made, best shooting, and the most accurate of the lot. You can also take any of the other guns mentioned as a lower price and spend a little money to make them better with after market parts. But, easier to just start with one that is already built. May options avialable at your price point.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:36 PM
s002wjh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
whats difference between Volquartsen Scorpion vs MK4? I thought its mostly just rebuild of MK4?
Old 07-17-2019, 01:30 PM
Badlandsboy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had most of the pistols listed above other than the Volquartsen Scorpion.
The two that I prefer above all the others is the Browning Buckmark field/target and the Sig trailside . Both are better than I will ever be with no mods needed.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:42 PM
jm10/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
whats difference between Volquartsen Scorpion vs MK4? I thought its mostly just rebuild of MK4?
The volquartsen scorpion are based off the ruger mark II/III design, they have the breakdown procedure that's difficult for some.

The ruger mkIV have the new single button breakdown design.

I would recommend the rugers but best to try a buckmark, s&W victory, ruger mkiv and the ruger mkiv 22 out if possible and get the one that feels best to you.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've had a MKII for years and mainly used it for squirrel hunting with a 2X scope. I recently put a 4X on it and started punching paper. Try as I may, I can not out shoot the pistol. It is a stainless slab side with the target grips and have added the Vol. hammer, bushing and trigger. The problem most people have with the MKII is getting the hammer strut right but that is easily solved with one of these : https://www.hammerstrutsupport.com/. An easy install on a $15 part.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:00 PM
s002wjh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
is the volquartsen black mamba series consider completion ready pistol?
just notice that on their site, how is it compare to other 22lr pistol in similar price range?
Old 07-17-2019, 03:28 PM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
The scoprion is based off of the MKIII design, but uses a Volquartsen aluminum frame and not the Ruger plastic frame. (Note: I am not saying the Ruger plastic frame is bad, I love my Ruger MKIII). Just that in my opinion the aluminum frame is a little nicer. Some people will say it is hard to take apart, I do not think so and with a little practive it becomes pretty easy. There are LOTS of videos out there to help.

The new Volquartsen Black Mamba is based off of the Ruger MKIV design and does in fact use the Ruger plastic frame. I have talked to Volquartsen and they do not plan to make a aluminum frame for the Black Mamba anytime in the near future due to Ruger patents on the MKIV design. But, the Black Mamba does use the MKIV push button take down which is easier than the MKIII.

Per your question in a later post, Yes, both the Scorpion and the Black Mamba in my humble opinion are compition ready. I am planning to gvet invovlved with Rimfire Steel Challange and am in a hot debate with myself trying to decide if I should get a 4.5 in barrel Scorpion or a 4.5 in Black Mamba.

Fianlly, while a Scorpion can be had for just over your $1k budget, the lowest I have seen a Black Mamba is in the mid $1,200 range.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:17 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
any recommendation for an accurate/reliable 22lr target pistol?
If you are just getting into target shooting, a good Ruger Mark IV is a great place to start, and it will take some time before your scores are held back by the pistol. Then you can trade up.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:34 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
If you are just getting into target shooting, a good Ruger Mark IV is a great place to start, and it will take some time before your scores are held back by the pistol. Then you can trade up.
Good advice here!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 PM
38super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you get a Ruger Mk, shoot cheap ammo til the group size doesn't shrink. Then look for better ammo. Trigger job will help, DIY vids on YT. There is a ghost ring replacement for the rear sight blade, not sure how that sits with NRA match rules. Works very good for steel challenge and falling plates.