Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:08 PM
rhill
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smith and Wesson is selling me a GP100 .22

I have been wanting a Smith 617 for some time now. My local fun store has two 617's and a GP100 .22. Looking at both 617's, the finish was bad on both. On the flat surfaces of the frame there are ripples, it looks like when you throw a pebble in the water, all the ripples radiating outwards. It is like after machining, no one completely polished out the marks. It looks really bad, something I could not pay 700 dollars for and ever be happy with, no matter how good the trigger is or how well it shoots. The Ruger on the other hand, beat the 617's in all areas of fit and finish but one, where the crane fits up to the frame it is noticeable, but not terribly bad. On the Smith you can barely see the line. So it looks like Ruger won out with a better finished product. Other areas look good too, crown, barrel clocked properly, trigger not too bad, not Smith quality, but that can be fixed by my local gunsmith for a few bucks. Cylinder locks up tight, gap is good. Picking it up tomorrow. Please do not get me wrong, I love the Smiths I have, a 52-2,17-3,629 and 586, all super handguns. Somehow they have dropped the ball on these 617's'

Last edited by rhill; 10-12-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:06 PM
beb42503

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Everyone has the right to their own opinion and the right to make their own choices. I have not owned the GP100 .22 but I did own the SP101 .22. I would urge you to try one before you buy. Personally I do not want either of the Rugers due mainly to action & stiff cockng. The Rugers price point is too high to buy and then start getting action work done on them IMO. If I did not like the Smith & Wessons currently offered I would look at used.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:50 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I`m with beb, and would keep my money in my pocket until what you really want comes along, even if a nice used one. About ten years ago I had the same experience with a 5" 63. S&W literally replace every part on the gun but the frame before it fired it`s first shot as a new gun. It`s fine now, but it should have never left the factory the way it was. Couldn`t even open the cylinder or cock it, and even with the naked eye, you could tell that the crown of the barrel was not right. Be patient, thats a lot of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 06:11 PM
rhill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After thinking about it a bit more I will just hold out till I see a good 617. I just thought it strange one gunshop had two that had the same finish defect. Smith and Wesson really need to up their game in the qc dept. For the money they charge we should not have to go over them with a fine tooth comb to make sure we do not get a bad one. Smith does not pay me to do their qc for them but I guess if I want one that is what I have to do.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:54 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhill View Post
After thinking about it a bit more I will just hold out till I see a good 617. I just thought it strange one gunshop had two that had the same finish defect. Smith and Wesson really need to up their game in the qc dept. For the money they charge we should not have to go over them with a fine tooth comb to make sure we do not get a bad one. Smith does not pay me to do their qc for them but I guess if I want one that is what I have to do.
My bet is that those 617s were old stock. It seems 4-5 years back, S&W had some real QC issues with their revolvers (across many models). Lots has been written about it in the net. However, a year or so ago, that issue has really seemed to dry up. We get new S&W's through the shop regularly and haven't seen but maybe 3 out of 100 with minor issues this year. I myself ordered a new 617 last year and have zero complaints. I will say that once you find a nice 617, you will be glad you waited!

As for the Ruger GP100 , I've handled a few and will admit it has promise. Still the trigger is sub par to the S&W as is likely it's resale. There is allot written here and elsewhere on the net on comparing the two.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:43 AM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I realize it's inconvenient but S&W would likely remedy the finish issues to your satisfaction at no cost to you.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:48 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I bought a 617. Trigger could be better. Touched base w my buddy who is a revolver demigod imo. He said if it was an older one he could slick it up. But, the newer ones trigger parts are MIM parts. If you put a stone to them they go to crap.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:35 PM
beb42503

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledslnger View Post
I bought a 617. Trigger could be better. Touched base w my buddy who is a revolver demigod imo. He said if it was an older one he could slick it up. But, the newer ones trigger parts are MIM parts. If you put a stone to them they go to crap.
I am no expert but I would have thought all 617's had MIM parts. I am quite sure that all 10 shot 617's are MIM.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:18 PM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just recently bought a 617 a few weeks ago and I must say I am very pleased with the fit and finish and to some degree the DA trigger which will smooth out or I will probably polish myself. The single action on the trigger is excellent at what seem about a pound. I definitely would wait for a 617 that fits your liking, it is worth the wait.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:31 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:

Many old school gunsmiths don't like MIM anything because it limits their cutting while increasing risk that they can "own the part:. While it's true that you need to be very careful of stoning through the surface layer on MIM parts, they can still be polished for significant gain in trigger smoothness . Additionally, the newer 617's are actually easier to slick up because their internal finish's are MUCH better to start with. FWIW, most of the new production S&W revolvers (including 5, 617's) I've worked on in the last 4-5 years required only a 12# -13# rebound spring swap and a little (!) polishing of the rebound slide and trigger interfaces to get a very smooth and significantly lighter trigger. The trick is not to remove material, only polish it. I rarely need to use anything rougher than a fine stone, 800 grt paper and a little Mothers mag polish to get the DA pull into the 9-10# range. ( BTW, That's leaving the main spring alone so as not to affect reliability.)

( p.s On the Ruger GP100 and SP101, not so easy.)

Last edited by Tacoma; 10-16-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:02 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb42503 View Post
Quote:
I am no expert but I would have thought all 617's had MIM parts. I am quite sure that all 10 shot 617's are MIM.
Maybe they do. He could have been taking about going back to the k22 possibly. My memory isn’t awesome.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 PM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Smith and Wesson is selling me a GP100 .22
Smith "sold me" a Ruger Single Six nearly 20 years ago and I have never regretted it. Bought a 617 back then after firing one owned by a friend and another owned by one of the range members. Was impressed with both guns.

I was really excited to get mine to the range but was pretty disappointed by the accuracy. During the range session I also noticed a dragging feel at times. Rotating the cylinder and looking at the gap back lit I could see the gap was not even all the way around.

Sent back to Smith and returned with an even cylinder gap but the 617 still did not shoot that great. Traded it later and picked up a stainless Single Six in 1999 and that revolver actually shot better than I anticipated.

Was my 617 a bad apple and not typical of the 617s in general , yes but after all the great centerfire Smiths I owned I was very glad to be rid of it.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:32 PM
1911CCW

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I previously owned a 4" barrel 617. I really liked the gun and it did shoot well but it was too muzzle heavy in my opinion with the full underlug. I recently ended up with a new version of the Ruger SP101 .22 and it is a very nice gun. I will be addressing the trigger pull in short order. Everything else about it is very nice.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:26 PM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get the Ruger

I have owned and used many S&Ws (though not your particular model) and the same for the Rugers. I don't like buying guns having to consistently send them back to be made right or send it to a gunsmith. That should be the exception - not the rule! S&W had that policy in the 70s. "Just get the product out and we'll fix it later if the customer sends it back" A very poor business policy. It looks as if they haven't improved all that much. The best S&Ws were made prior to 1965 - pre Bangor Punta. But the draw back is if something should break, S&W won't fix it as it is too old (which I can understand). No company is perfect, but Ruger seems to be way ahead in initial quality. My 625JM needed some trigger work. My Victory has been great.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:09 PM
hillbillyhans

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm anti "new" Smith and Wesson as well. I got a 351PD this past Saturday, and it was on it's way back to the factory Monday. It shot 4" to the right @ 7yds. Garbage.

Then I find out today, that they won't work on their own guns if they're of a certain vintage. Garbage.

I was going to get a 617 on GunBroker this week, but in talking to the dealers who had them, canted barrels/different barrel and frame finishes are still a problem. For $700, that's ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, Ruger isn't perfect, but there's a reason their stock is doing well when others are struggling.