Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:49 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Rebuilt a Trigger Group Today

A while ago, I ham handed a metal trigger group and broke the trigger guard .
It was a tuned Trigger,VQ parts that came on my Brown Precision.

Cracked , gave me a new , synthetic trigger housing, and some related parts.Thanks again!

Today, I finally had the time and gumption to put it together.

Thank goodness for youtube

The hardest part was the safety. I chased that plunger spring all over my basement.

Well it functions great, better than when it was in the metal housing.

Now i just got to figure out which 1022 to put it into.

Still got a few with only bxs in them, which i will then send off to brimstone.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:43 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
glad you got some use out of the stuff

did you put the Volquartsen extended safety in it too?
Old 04-26-2021, 06:07 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
glad you got some use out of the stuff

did you put the Volquartsen extended safety in it too?
Yes, the first time. , then i realized the plunger was in the tube. So then i took it all apart , and put in the plunger spring, got it back together, and the hammer wouldnt release, then i swapped out with the original. Third times a charm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2021, 10:45 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Yes, the first time. , then i realized the plunger was in the tube. So then i took it all apart , and put in the plunger spring, got it back together, and the hammer wouldnt release, then i swapped out with the original. Third times a charm.
sorry to hear that it gave you troubles

I never had any issues with it's functionality, I just didn't like the fact that you had to mod the stock to use it..I've had that thing in several trigger groups, but never actually used it in a completed rifle

I guess if I was going to put it in a poly or birch stock it wouldn't have bugged me so much, but I don't like the ides of cutting up the old original walnut Carbine stocks I've been using for builds lately
Old 04-27-2021, 03:26 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
To tell the truth, i didn’t notice it was longer, I noticed that on the one side it had a different end, a flat disc with a sliced off top, so it wouldn’t rotate in the fire position. But the plunger you sent saved the day, cause i dont know where mine went cause it wasn’t in the bag of parts fromthe broken trigger. Probably lost when i broke of the trigger guard,months ago.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:09 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well i jb welded the broken trigger housing back together , and its looking good.
So that led me to thinking, always bad, I can get new guts for this.

When internet shoping and the best I could do , was Over $150 for all the guts.

VQ has this on sale https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/e8QAA...dNe/s-l400.jpg,
But it doesnt have several parts, like the magazine plunger, or the magazine plunger spring ,a safety, or the spring and plunger for the safety, or the ejector or the bolt hold spring.

All those , I found on Numerich, but $50 + for used parts.

And then the pins, https://www.ebay.com/itm/22439153237...53.m2749.l2649

But , I did discover, that JWH is probably the same company as Hornet Products, as I was blocked from ordering from them on EBAy , like I am from JWH . Even though, I never bought a Hornet Product on EBAY. I asked one toomany questions about a JWH barrel block , and they punished me for life.

So does anyone know of a source for a complete trigger guts kit, that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?

I dont need another trigger or a target kit, , i just want something, I can mess with .
Old 05-03-2021, 09:34 PM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
98% (39)
Hornet Custom is in Florida, JWH is in California.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:20 PM
Bird-Dog

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
The hardest part was the safety. I chased that plunger spring all over my basement.

Gunsmither 10/22 Safety Tool is a big help!

Gunsmither-1022-Safety-Tool.jpg

Last edited by Bird-Dog; 05-03-2021 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:25 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Hornet Custom is in Florida, JWH is in California.
Yet somehow, they share data bases. And lots of companies have locations in multiple states.

If you look At this http://5003.webpossystem.com/ViewPro...elNumber=HCSBA

You can see they are selling a jwh bolt and charging handle.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:15 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Well i jb welded the broken trigger housing back together , and its looking good.
So that led me to thinking, always bad, I can get new guts for this.
every once in awhile, there comes a time, monetarily, when you throw the good pieces in the spare parts box and the damaged/broken part in the trash and forget about fixing it...I think that time has come
Old 05-04-2021, 10:37 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
every once in awhile, there comes a time, monetarily, when you throw the good pieces in the spare parts box and the damaged/broken part in the trash and forget about fixing it...I think that time has come
Not yeeeeeeetttttt:

Its reallycause i had a good time putting a trigger together.

I am stupid, but not stupid enough to take one thats working fine apart ,just cause it would be fun. Although, i have thought about it.

I guess its time to take my Mark 2 apart and put in the Vq parts I bought a year ago.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:48 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why do you think a person is "stupid" for taking apart a good trigger pack just for fun? Or is it about your lack of mechanical ability your speaking of you being stupid to doing it for fun. NO I not picking a fight or saying you are stupid just trying to understand your post better!

I have collected for 25+ yrs but never really dug into firearms even though I have great puzzle skills but that all changed last year as I started digging though my pile and really learning different models and how they work. It was fun to learn and now understand how some function and different designs causing the same outcome.

The Ruger 10/22 as a whole design looks so simple but yet has a great many hidden features in it's design. Allows for upgrades as well but remember this design is over 50yrs old and machines and tooling has progressed a lot since then.

I now can put them together without a thought or any special tools, a small punch at most can assemble the receiver completely, it's just pins and springs!

Give it a try and I'm sure if you get stuck post it and everybody can advise you on what is the issue.

Reading you post about parts and cost, did you know not everything is needed? Take the bolt hold open, when was the last time you held the bolt back and pushed the hold open up to locked it open? So do you really need the bolt hold open plate/spring? You do need to install that pin because it also is used for the mag releasing lever interlocked with the mag plunger/plunger spring. Now look at that secondary ejector, yes it is a secondary because the mag feed lips act as the first in line ejector, so do you really need that extra floppy part to be there and it's pin?

If anybody can enlighten me different please do as I'm NOT an expert but just a plinker and love learning what others think also.

Last edited by Baby Automag; 05-04-2021 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
And then the pins, [url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/224391532371?

So does anyone know of a source for a complete trigger guts kit, that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?

I dont need another trigger or a target kit, , i just want something, I can mess with .
Like this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005055625?pid=114754
Old 05-04-2021, 09:35 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WOW, sixty bucks is all?! Guess it depends on how much you want to toy with it, rip them parts out and install in that JB welded metal one and your on your way to building another rifle.

I wonder if you went gun shop hopping to look at new/used stuff and then asked the smith if he had any extra parts for a Ruger 10/22 you can have so you can learn more about it, if you could piece one together from them parts. Just a thought, you get to go window shopping and maybe get a few parts and maybe the smith will show you some things as well. Never hurts to ask. Just my thoughts
Old 05-05-2021, 10:08 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Automag View Post
... when was the last time you held the bolt back and pushed the hold open up to locked it open?....

Last Saturday, which was the last time I shot at a range with rules about making firearms demonstrably safe before anyone goes downrange.

I'll admit I had a 10/22 for decades before using the bolt latch for the first time, and had to be shown how to use it the first time I shot at a range, but it's there for a reason.

Last edited by CardPuncher; 05-05-2021 at 10:18 AM.