My New-To-Me Unique Cooper...Unique In A Not Good Way - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:58 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
My New-To-Me Unique Cooper...Unique In A Not Good Way

I have owned MANY Coopers, mostly M38s, and they were all so pristine, I usually would send them down the road, lest I diminish their value by shooting them too much. Some I never even shot, but they were all good deals that at least kept me whole. It's just the way I am: I always prefer a nice, gently used rifle with a bit of honest wear. That way, I can enjoy them without fear of losing money. Of course, that would depend on the make and model. Anyway, having had so many M38s pass through my hands, I had an opportunity to buy this very nice M38 Classic in .17 AH just in time for an upcoming PD hunt. It's perfect for me. Let me expain.

So, it has all those features we value in Coopers: nicely figured wood, expertly executed and checkered, perfect metal finishing, and great styling. This one also has the high polish finish on the metal, including the steel trigger guard, grip cap, and the checkered bolt handle. I would have preferred a Neidner buttplate, but there's no denying the utility of a rubber pad...and this one is also pristine, with one glaring exception, and that's why this one may be perfect for me...that and the screaming discount for the...defect.

It's not real clear in the last picture, but the bluing is simply missing in some dots and streaks in one small area on the top of the barrel. There's no corrosion nor scratching whatsoever; the dark bluing is just gone, leaving brightly polished white metal, as if someone splattered some navel jelly or something on it. According to the previous owner, this happened in the field. It's kind of amazing how he said it happened...can you guess what it was ? I think it will surprise you :
Cooper 38 1.jpg

Cooper 38 2.jpg

Cooper 38 3.jpg

Cooper 38 4.jpg

Cooper 38 5.jpg

The previous owner's targets show 5-shot groups well under 1/2" @ 100 yards. Could be the perfect Cooper PD rifle.

TBR
Old 05-03-2021, 02:39 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
TBR: My best guess as to what could have possibly caused the bluing damage/loss on your rifle, it would be that something such as chili, or salsa got splattered onto the barrel during a frantic feed.
It appears from my personal experience that the vinegar used in such concoctions can remove bluing in QT.

Actually, your rifle doesn't look all that bad and much can be forgiven if it shoots as well as the previous owner stated.

Last edited by kaynine; 05-03-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:50 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Blood?
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2021, 03:25 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Nope, and nope. Keep guessing.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Left wrapped with a silicon rag, gun wipe.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:19 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (268)
I know vinegar will remove bluing, so if not vinegar, something else acidic. Hmmm...

Doug
Old 05-03-2021, 06:33 PM
Whig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe someone peed on it. The ammonia could alter the bluing.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:41 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Remember, it happened in the field.

So, according to the previous owner, he was walking in the woods with rifle slung over his shoulder, and walked through some dew-laden spider webs. He didn't think much about it much, it was just spider webs, after all, but when he got home, the bluing was gone.

That's the story.

TBR
Old 05-03-2021, 06:43 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bird poop?
Old 05-03-2021, 07:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (268)
So, are spider webs acidic?

I found this online:

ďSpiders set their wet web mix using acid before firing it out of organs called spinnerets which weave the type of silk that they need.Ē *

Doug

* https://matildaslab.wordpress.com/20...-webs-made-of/
Old 05-03-2021, 07:48 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never would've guessed that, the filthy animals.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:33 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Remember, it happened in the field.

So, according to the previous owner, he was walking in the woods with rifle slung over his shoulder, and walked through some dew-laden spider webs. He didn't think much about it much, it was just spider webs, after all, but when he got home, the bluing was gone.

That's the story.

TBR
And your TBR BS meter didnít peg when you heard this? Sorry TBR, but Iím going to have to throw a flag on that claim! The big question is how you plan to address the bare metal. Iím a fan of Blue Wonder, but I know there must be 50 other approaches.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:43 AM
ECC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
I know vinegar will remove bluing, so if not vinegar, something else acidic. Hmmm...

Doug
Old 05-04-2021, 07:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (268)
I'm going with acidic spider webs (enhanced by dew). That's my story and I'm sticking to it (and that's easy with spider webs ).

Doug
Old 05-04-2021, 07:38 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't say what happened to TBR's gun, but I do know that bird poop can remove the bluing....and then some. I have a 1710 DKL that I have used in the past in bench rest matches. At one point I was giving it a good cleaning and discovered a small patch of bluing missing and a bit of underlying corrosion on the side of the barrel in front of the receiver. Since my back yard range bench is situated under a small tree (for shade) I surmised that a small bird had landed on a limb directly above the rifle and did it's thing on my gun while I was down range changing targets. Since I don't completely wipe a gun down after every use (I'm pretty picky about what parts of the gun I handle when using), I missed it until a subsequent cleaning. By then the damage was done.

Stuff happens....

James