Kidd barrel sent back - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:36 PM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Kidd barrel sent back

I have had a Kidd 20" fluted bull barrel that I bought a while back. Finally got the build free floated in an At One stock with a TI receiver with a Kidd bolt and charging handle and a Kidd single stage trigger. Took it out and shot it. Best I could get was 1 1/2" at 50yards. I have several Kidd barrels and most will do 1/4" at 50 yards. I set it aside while I was doing CZ bolt 22's. After at least a year, I came back and tried it again. Same result, so I put the barrel on a different receiver setup. Same result. I called them and sent it to them. Now I am waiting. I am sure it will come back shooting lights out or replaced with another barrel. Even the best have some that are problematic. No big deal. Over the last 20 or so years I have had probably at least 15 Kidd barrels. This was just a fluke. They will make it right. Obviously I wasn't in a hurry, LOL.

Last edited by mpolk; 05-07-2021 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:53 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I had one of their early chromoly bulls that shot like 4" groups at 50. They replaced it, but that one only made the 1/2" at 50y with lapua. Ended up selling it. Last week I gave it another chance and ordered a SS fluted, threaded bull for suppressed use. Gonna play with it tomorrow. My older 20" bull shoots 1/4" at 50, and my old 16.5" bull is one of my best shooting barrels at sub 1/5" at 50. So here is to hoping it shoots
Old 05-01-2021, 04:56 AM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I actually included a note to have it threaded also or replace it with a threaded one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
My chromoly kidd barrels were threaded. People said that is likely what caused the problems with the accuracy. But since they are back bored, I doubt it. Just got back from the range with the new kidd SS 16.5 fluted and threaded bull. Its shoots at least as well as my old 20" SS kidd bull (1/4" at 50y), maybe even close to my other old 16.5 SS bull (sub 1/5" at 50.)

the new one seemed to do just as well with my silencerco sparrow as without. only shot at 25y, but the results for 5 round ctc groups were:

eley target: .206, .230, .252, .143, .204, .204

it took lapua midas to do that with my last chromoly barrel.

eley team did even better.

.137" .117" .106" .107"

so all in all im very happy with it. the fluting and the threading didnt seem to hurt that accuracy at all from my other two non fluted, non threaded SS bulls.

Last edited by Clem-E; 05-01-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:55 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
My chromoly kidd barrels were threaded. People said that is likely what caused the problems with the accuracy. But since they are back bored, I doubt it. Just got back from the range with the new kidd SS 16.5 fluted and threaded bull. Its shoots at least as well as my old 20" SS kidd bull (1/4" at 50y), maybe even close to my other old 16.5 SS bull (sub 1/5" at 50.)

the new one seemed to do just as well with my silencerco sparrow as without. only shot at 25y, but the results for 5 round ctc groups were:

eley target: .206, .230, .252, .143, .204, .204

it took lapua midas to do that with my last chromoly barrel.

eley team did even better.

.137" .117" .106" .107"

so all in all im very happy with it. the fluting and the threading didnt seem to hurt that accuracy at all from my other two non fluted, non threaded SS bulls.
Clem- Really glad to hear that you got another good shooter from Kidd, I know your past experience with your chrome moly barrel was frustrating.

With respect to fluting & threading- Iím not allowed to own a suppressor in my state, so Iíve never had a .22 barrel threaded. My AR15 barrels are threaded and both give me consistent accuracy, my Core 15 VTP II 20Ē Stainless Match is outstanding.
Iíve had two fluted .920 SS bull barrels from Kidd, both are capable of 1/2MOA or better at 50 on the right diet, including SKRM if itís a good lot. Certainly not ďall day longĒ, but reliably enough to earn reserved parking in my safe.
I built & gave one to my cousinís husband, I shot with him last weekend and he commented that itís actually boring for him to shoot at 50 because it hits whatever he aims at.... we have very different standards for accuracy. Itís now three years after I built his, and judging by the contents of his ammo box and an inspection of the rifle, we also have very different standards on what constitutes a clean rifle and what ďdecent ammoď is.
I fed it some SK & Midas+ and was able to get consistent groups @ .3-.4Ē with it.
Iíd bet a good cleaning and seasoning with target ammo & it would do .25 @ 50.

My other fluted Kidd is a Supergrade with a one-off custom 20Ē black nitride fluted SS bull in a Luxus Tomahawk stock. That one has very low mileage and shoots extremely well.

My point?

I just donít get the whole ďdonít get a fluted barrel, it reduces accuracyĒ thing.
That has not been my experience with fluted barrels on several different types of firearms. I would be much more inclined to believe that threading a barrel might have negative results- especially after it was manufactured as a non threaded barrel.
Iíll probably find out for myself someday, when I retire & move to Texas.

Anywho-

To the OP- sorry for the thread divert- and I hope Kidd gets you squared away to your satisfaction soon.

Clem- congrats on another keeper!

Respectfully,

DrGunner
Old 05-07-2021, 03:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I called yesterday just to make sure they got it. She said they had received it and that I should get confirmation from them on what the prognosis was and how we would proceed by Monday.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:35 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The fluting messes with accuracy thing probably came from Calfees book.

The thought is that by removing material after he bore is cut it changes the bore, for the worse. But things were done different then, so maybe it did, maybe it does. But if you have a fluted barrel that shots better than moa, who cares?

I have a few threaded barrels. Not on purpose,but they came that way. No suppressors.I found that the thread protector can sometimes be a cause of an accuracy issue. Some shot better with it off. Some shot better with it on , on some it made no difference. On some if i flipped it ,it shot better or worse or the same.

The protectors with a chamber between the muzzle and the face of the protector were the biggest offenders. The flush fit ones the least affecting. Some have a bevel cut into one face, mimicking a crown, these had problems too.

I even have used a ported muzzle device in the mix, and of course have had mixed results.

There is a new barrel design out there,, KSA makes a twisted tri flute https://www.ebay.com/itm/18414546566...4AAOSwy49c2H1S

Just try bedding that
Old 05-07-2021, 03:56 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
This the first Kidd barrel I've had among many that won't shoot. I know their guarantee says 1/2" at 50, but all we better than that, so I was surprised when I was getting 1.5" at 50. Thought it HD to be my setup so I put it on another known excellent setup with the same results.

As for threaded barrel inaccuracies, I have found that with a thin "o" ring between the barrel and the end cap it seems to eliminate problems when not using my suppressors.

I have always been impressed by Kidd's products. It has been fun watching his company thrive. Like a well-known member here says, "none bedda". I'm confident that my results will be good.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
This the first Kidd barrel I've had among many that won't shoot. I know their guarantee says 1/2" at 50, but all we better than that, so I was surprised when I was getting 1.5" at 50. Thought it HD to be my setup so I put it on another known excellent setup with the same results.

As for threaded barrel inaccuracies, I have found that with a thin "o" ring between the barrel and the end cap it seems to eliminate problems when not using my suppressors.

I have always been impressed by Kidd's products. It has been fun watching his company thrive. Like a well-known member here says, "none bedda". I'm confident that my results will be good.
The fact that they took it back,after so long a time is testimony to their integrity.

A rubber O ring?
Old 05-07-2021, 04:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
A rubber O ring?
I use the green silicone O rings. Also keeps them from getting loose. Your results could vary, LOL. I've had good luck using them but then we all know, every barrel is different.

Last edited by mpolk; 05-07-2021 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
I use the green silicone O rings. Also keeps them from getting loose. Your results could vary, LOL. I've had good luck using them but then we all know, every barrel is different.
Thanks, who knows, maybe it dampens vibration..