Is the 10/22 magum bolt longer than a 10/22 22lr bolt? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:44 AM
22_boomer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the 10/22 magum bolt longer than a 10/22 22lr bolt?

A friend had some parts laid out from his parts bin and there were two bolts that looked like regular 10/22 bolts but he handed me one and then the other and the first was really heavy. They both seemed to be the same length -- is that correct or did he have a modified bolt? He told me the heavy one was for his 10/22 magnum rifle.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:19 PM
Ladykiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
A friend had some parts laid out from his parts bin and there were two bolts that looked like regular 10/22 bolts but he handed me one and then the other and the first was really heavy. They both seemed to be the same length -- is that correct or did he have a modified bolt? He told me the heavy one was for his 10/22 magnum rifle.
The bolts are different lengths for 22 LR and 22 WMR. If the bolt was the same length as a normal 22 LR bolt, I'd check to see if it had been milled to add a tungsten weight to be used for the 17 HM2.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:07 AM
22_boomer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladykiller View Post
The bolts are different lengths for 22 LR and 22 WMR. If the bolt was the same length as a normal 22 LR bolt, I'd check to see if it had been milled to add a tungsten weight to be used for the 17 HM2.
I got back with the guy with the bolts and he said it was a 22 magnum bolt that was given to him. It was originally a double extractor bolt that broke on the outside extractor -- The inside one was in perfect condition. Seems he thought about using it in a regular 10/22 receiver so he cut the front off at the rear of the charging handle groove and brazed on the front of a regular 10/22 bolt. He said the normal extractor fits fine but he said he had to use a modified magnum firing pin. He said he didn't have the time to try it out with anything and it's been sitting around for quit a few years. I wonder if he was going to try it with the 17 Mach2? Next time I see him I'll ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2021, 12:02 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
I got back with the guy with the bolts and he said it was a 22 magnum bolt that was given to him. It was originally a double extractor bolt that broke on the outside extractor -- ................................
Interesting! First time I've heard of a bolt breaking on the outside extractor.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:29 PM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think it was probably the inside extractor.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:26 AM
DRob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-cooled View Post
I think it was probably the inside extractor.
Most probably. And, unless the damage was way beyond what normally happened, the magnum bolt could have still been used. The most common damage was breaking off the thin lip below the inner "extractor" slot. I haven't had that happen but there were guys here who did "back in the day". A couple of them simply cleaned up the damaged area and soldiered on with no apparent ill effects.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:08 PM
Sun Tzu warrior

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes I have a Maggie that gas the inner extractor removed....
It is really not an extractor.
I intentionally broke off the thin (to be honest) glob of metal.
The bolt still fully supports the cartridge case. My actions were to pre-empt that glob breaking off at a most in-opportune time seizing bolt with reciever. This was the reason for Ruger discontinuing the 10/22 magnum. In the beginning a lot of rifles were sent back to the mother ship due to cleanliness issues of the owner.
Then Kruger in its intimate wisdom said........ Why don't we put another "extractor" to help these fools get by with poor maintenance.
The result..... Broken globs of metal interfacing with the bolt (tungsten by the way, explaining the extra weight) and the steel receiver thus creating the mother of all jams,chief kind Kruger couldn't overcome.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:09 PM
Sun Tzu warrior

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Damm auto spell!
Old 04-26-2021, 01:19 PM
DRob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu warrior View Post
Yes I have a Maggie that gas the inner extractor removed....
It is really not an extractor.
I intentionally broke off the thin (to be honest) glob of metal.
The bolt still fully supports the cartridge case. My actions were to pre-empt that glob breaking off at a most in-opportune time seizing bolt with reciever. This was the reason for Ruger discontinuing the 10/22 magnum. In the beginning a lot of rifles were sent back to the mother ship due to cleanliness issues of the owner.
Then Kruger in its intimate wisdom said........ Why don't we put another "extractor" to help these fools get by with poor maintenance.
The result..... Broken globs of metal interfacing with the bolt (tungsten by the way, explaining the extra weight) and the steel receiver thus creating the mother of all jams,chief kind Kruger couldn't overcome.
This, exactly! And, yeah, %%%% auto spell.