Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Living the #vanlife

3K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  RichJ 
#1 ·
Anyone already done, or thinking to do, the #vanlife? I am nearing retirement, always enjoyed camping, but never had the time to really "see the USA". Thinking about selling my car and switching over to a van that I can camp in. Tons of plans, stories and adventures online. I'd love to hear your thoughts and about your adventures, see your pictures, and gather wisdom from your advice. Peace out.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I lived in my truck with a cap on the back for 4 years in the late 70's and early eighties. So I was way before youtube and Walmart parking lots. I had a job that included a lot of travel so it was only about half the time overall. Saved a lot of money. I took showers in parks or gyms. I usually just parked outside of small towns somewhere in upper Michigan where I was working. I was never hassled by cops or anyone else. Eating in restaurants was cheaper back then with more healthy food. But I had a stove too and cooked simple meals. Overall I look back positively on the whole experience. I still take trips with a truck with a topper and camp but three weeks is about my limit now. Plus I like my house and possessions.

#3 ·
My first job out of college was forest inventory in Colorado (1977). I spent almost three months living in my Ford PU. I'm only 5'6" so I slept on the bench seat and worked from daylight to dawn.

Went almost three weeks in August that year without seeing people. Elvis died while I was in the woods.

I don't miss those days (other than the physical abilities then vs. now).

Good luck with your travels.

#4 ·
If I do it, I'm going the mini-van route. Looking at Toyota Sienna, not sure if I want FWD or AWD, and might install a Journeys Off Road lift kit. To start out, I'll keep the inside mods simple until I figure out what I really need. I am used to tent camping, so already have an idea of the minimalist items I might need.

#5 ·
Friend of mine is in a Honda Element club. Guy in their group lives in his Element most of the time and drives all over N. America. He owns an apartment building, and I guess the income from that allows him a lot of time to do what he wants.

Seems like a good choice of vehicle...

#9 ·
Friend of mine is in a Honda Element club. Guy in their group lives in his Element most of the time and drives all over N. America. He owns an apartment building, and I guess the income from that allows him a lot of time to do what he wants.

Seems like a good choice of vehicle...

That style be my pick so far with a 500# capacity storage box that rides on the trailer hitch. You can never have too much room.

#7 ·
Apparently you're on a "budget" and looking to do this low cost. But keep in mind that what was doable at a young age is down right uncomfortable at retirement age. Especially if you're going to do this full time. There are a lot of ready made low cost trailers on the market, but maybe not as flexible or manuverable as you envision for your perceived life style. If money isn't that much of an object there are quite a few ready made Van type units available - new and used.

#10 ·
I envy you, living on the road and enjoying the sights sounds like a real adventure. Not many people decide to act on those thoughts. :cool: When I read the book Blue Highways by William Heat Moon, his description of journey gave me some inclinations to do the same. He was on a budget and drove a plain jane white "plumbers van" for his journey. His setup is probably worth referencing, as he could simply 'park and crash out' where ever he chose with little site preparation.

#13 ·
I think all of the newer commercial vans are available in motorhome conversions. I don't think there's any shower, but have a bed, toilet, simple kitchen and ample storage. At my age, that's as simple as I could live with.

Truck stops are a great place to clean up. You get a private shower, clean towels, and usually soap and shampoo for about ten bucks.

In my twenties, I spent a fair amount of time over two years hitch-hiking around the country. Had a frame backpack with about 30 pounds of stuff. Spent many nights under bridges, or a mil-surp poncho rigged into a lean-to. Couldn't do it now in my physical shape, wouldn't do it because of the weirdos these days. I actually never had a real problem with anyone, back then.

#14 ·
Like most things these days.....

….YouTube is your friend. Lots of how-to videos on van setup, bed and storage options, how to cook on your tailgate, etc.

Check out Wonderhussy for a starting point and she is easy on the eyes too. She will have some links to other van camping sites as well. Consider a satellite phone for emergency communication if you are really going off the grid.

Since this is a "gun thread" consider some self-defense options too. These days all kinds of creeps/thugs would love to rob you or take your vehicle.

#17 · (Edited)
Currently I use my little Prius to camp. Takes a lot planning to pack. For longer trips though, I need something bigger.

I always bring a handgun with me. Last trip was my handy .380 Remington. Today I picked up a used Ruger chambered in 45 Colt that I will bring along sometimes.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Isnt that a jack-up roof rather than a top-tent? Extra standup room inside once like the old VW Vanagon campers.
In my mis-spent youth I was an on/off again motorcycle nomad. I found that after being in one spot just so long I dreamed of traveling, then when traveling I found after about 3mo. I would be camped out in some nice place and be dreaming of 'home basing' it..... I called it 'the grass is always greener syndrome'.
Later on we did a fullsize Ford conversion van that I morphed further into a camper. It wasnt bad, way better than the Ford Aerostar I tried later. That was Ok for me but not for two of us! Even so it didnt really have enough space for 'living', it was a sleeping/storage container and living was best done out of it. A well done fly required. The new-gen tall van would be dandy.
Btw, we also had a camper made from an alum bodied potato chip van. The full size van was my best of the van-campers in terms of over all user friendliness. But iffn ya gotta live in something for any length of time or weather, bigger is always better.
That said, we often found that we would be set up somewhere and comfy, then want to go someplace; that means breaking camp. Do Not leave yer goods unless there is going to be someone trustworthy to keep an eye on.
We have had an Aliner pop-up (no canvas, it has 'hard sides') for 11 years now, it goes up in 30sec. Yes, 30 sec. and step inside. Sure, it takes longer to put down the stabilizer jacks, etc, but to stop walk back, unlatch each side of the top, throw it up and lift the two triangle sides up into the roof and latch (that is done inside) you are in, out of the rain and ready to use for a lunch or nap. Tows and backs up like a dream. We can change tow vehicles or even living units at will by going 'two piece'. If your camper van or motorhome dies mechanically so does your house.
Imo, don't bother with solar electric, do have hd longgg extension cords for when you do have shore power but mostly learn to live on the deep cycle battery(s) led lights and a low elec power lifestyle. Ie, you cant run even a small air conditioner off batteries! But it is nice to have one for when you can plug in.
A lot of places dont allow 'overnight camping' anymore, and campgrounds are the pits, but many places you can set-up/hang out during the day, so 'camp' during the day and travel at night.

#21 ·
My wife and I once had a 10' slide-in camper in the bed of our F250. Worked out pretty well for short trips or overnighters . We found we could pull in to the parking lot of the local hospital, park in a back corner, do our thing and nobody ever asked what we were doing there, beat Walmart parking lot by quite a bit.

#23 ·
My second full size was the Chevy with AWD. lt was great for traction but they say you must replace all four tires at the same time, something about the computerized traction control. Im sure it is the same with all the AWD's. The Chevy/GMC (Safari?) were pretty well regarded for longevity, iirc.

#24 ·
WE have camped, van conversion, bumper drag no slide outs, 5th wheel with slide outs, and 40 foot motor coach winnebago with trailer for smart car.

If I was to semi rough it as a single dude exploring and having a grand adventure:

Competent reasonable cost tow vehicle. I am partial to Jeep Cherokee...not high cost Grand version...BUT whatever brand you like small SUV with AWD is good

Used teardrop camper....Go to a RV place and look at these very cool campers with very cool creature comforts the styles and features are astonishing

Everyone who buys one new, trades in within 2 years for bigger....They have families and wife does not like semi roughing it
Used are 1/3 new cost and they have literally no mileage on them

KOA membership
Good Sam membership

If Military Free pass for national and many state parks
If not get the Fed and state park pases any way they are Not very expensive

Mentioned above...Amazon a copy of Blue Highways and read it while dreaming...the inspiration will make you wanderlust for back road adventures

#25 · (Edited)
A friend had a teardrop for 10yrs for his solo camping, he had a pop-up vendor type canopy to set at the door so his living rm/kitchen and dining room was there, the TD was just the bedroom. Still, he tired of it, at about 6' tall when he was pretty much stuck in it for a rainy weekend it was too small and cramped. He said one must be 'limber' to get dressed in one and stepping out to put on raingear, or taking it and muddy boots off while going in was not so easy. He sold it (and after 10years got what he paid for it but he is a perfectionist so it was Nice), tried tent camping for 1 short season and now has had the small (discontinued) solo sized Aliner this past year.
My wife isnt going with me anymore so I thought about downsizing to a TD but he convinced me not to. I do have a mid-sized SUV and it has actually more usable room with the back seats down that Mark's TD did. With some creative window screening/blinds, 12vdc fans, etc. and a small enclosed utility/'adventure trailer' for other gear I have a pretty decent low-vis, inexpensive solo travel rig. Getting in/out of the side passenger door efficiently takes some planning on 'interior positioning' and takes some forethought/practice when a 'camper'. After all, the passenger seats are made to be going into sitting or out from sitting. With the full-size vans it was open the door, and step out, or duck and step in.
Look up 'adventure trailers' and get blown away, not just by features but price! A handy guy can do one on the cheap (mine is a utility trailer with a couple of Craiglist pickup aux. tool boxes bolted in).
Ya still need a rain/sun fly. There are units that bolt onto the roof-rack and open to the side. Mine is a truckers tarp laced onto a side rack-rail with a couple of poles, ropes and stakes to stretch it out.
Hot utility water is a joy. My low-buck water heater is an old 30cup coffee percolator from GoodWill for $3. If I can plug in somewhere I have hot water on demand. A horse water bucket for a dip-bath (in my swim-suit if in 'view') works well. Dilute some very hot from the perc or, if staying in one place and the sun shines, set the dark water bucket out in the sun all day and you will have a warm bath in the afternoon.
Carry a good sized 'thermos' bottle to fill with the very hot before heading out, its nice to have hot though the day for whatever.

#36 ·
A friend had a teardrop for 10yrs for his solo camping, he had a pop-up vendor type canopy to set at the door so his living rm/kitchen and dining room was there, the TD was just the bedroom. Still, he tired of it, at about 6' tall when he was pretty much stuck in it for a rainy weekend it was too small and cramped. He said one must be 'limber' to get dressed in one and stepping out to put on raingear, or taking it and muddy boots off while going in was not so easy.
On that "limber" thing...

My Wife and I looked at teardrops years ago but not being able to stand was a deal-breaker for me. Even a small trailer is more than I'd want to hassle with unless I could stand up, and sit at a table to play cards or whatever if the weather's bad.

I spent one night in the back of my new 4Runner about a month ago and it was good enough for sleeping, but not much else can be done easily unless you happen to be a 25 year old contortionist. I also had to clear out most of my gear and pile it outside to have room back there. Got down to 25*, so it was nice to be able to start the engine and crank the heater up at 7 AM before I got out. An egg crate foam mattress kept my pelvis attached to my spine.

I have an easy to set up/take down 6' high dome tent and a good cot that I use if staying in one spot for more than one night. My sleeping on the ground days are over; feel like a cripple in the morning. Used to be fine using my Thermarest and a thick sleeping bag but now it's about as comfy as a concrete slab.

#33 ·
Anyone know of / consider the Mitsubishi Delica van? Kind of resembles the old VW vans, but it's 4WD with off-road capable wheels and tires. Available in diesel, too. There are several YouTubes on them being converted for van life. I've only seen a couple of them local, not sure if they are a regular import or some sort of special order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.