What can you tell me about this Mauser MM410B - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:20 PM
BlueRidgeParson

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

What do we know?

The receiver is not grooved.

This makes me suspect that it originated as a DSM 34 receiver. Such a receiver could certainly be machined to accept magazine feed and use the breech bolt from the repeaters. It is also possible it might also have been a Mm 410B receiver that was in an un-finished state.

The barrel profile is not a standard Mauser shape.

It looks like it might have begun life as one intended for the ES/MS 350B. (Or as noted above, as a DSM 34.) It has been turned down to accommodate the scope mount, and to resemble, but not duplicate, the lighter 410B profile. It has also been grooved to accept the excellent 350B sight. Whatever it was originally intended to be, it now is another non-typical item. The presence (or absence) of proof marks and/or serial numbers on the barrel would tell us everything we need to know.

The serial number has five digits and it is Eagle/N proof marked.

That would indicate a DSM 34/36 origin. Has anyone seen a model Mm 410B rifle that had both a five digit serial number and an Eagle/N proof mark? I never have seen such a combination. This leads me to think this was originally a DSM 34 receiver that was machined to be what was required.

All of these attributes make me think that this was a bespoke rifle "made from parts." By whom, or for whom, I cannot tell. The links to previous rifles referenced earlier in this thread show there are other somewhat similar rifles---- usually originating from France. Since the French were in possession of Mauser --- quite literally lock, stock, & barrel ---- it might be that these rifles were a command performance for the French. Alternately, they could just as easily have been assembled by a talented gunsmith outside the factory, from leftover parts available at Mauser at the conclusion of the second world war.

In sum, an interesting rifle that defies most of the hard and fast rules of Mauser kleinkaliber rifles. Draw your own conclusions.

BRP

Last edited by BlueRidgeParson; 02-17-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:00 PM
Keswick
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I agree that it is likely a DSM receiver. I am not so sure that it was one of the ones that were assembled at Mauser-Werke in the 1945-46 period of French control. It could have been assembled by any master gunsmith since WWII.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:10 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again to everyone for sharing insights and information.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 AM
Maudite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An interesting rifle but one that makes the hair on the back of the neck stand up as well.Before I paid that kind of money for it I would want to eye ball the gun in person to make sure the overall craftsmanship cried mauser.One thing that makes me wonder is why would mauser make this rifle as it kind of seems as a step backwards when you already have an action that is grooved for a scope why would you produce a gun with an ungrooved action and mount a scope on it in this fashion.As most private gun ownership was banned during the war in Germany and I don t think a sporting 22would be high on anyone's priority at the time, Ibelieve it was made after the war by a talented smith with parts he had on hand(or could come up with) at the time who knows maybe for an allied soldier station for a time Germany when the country was being rebuilt.All and all it would be a nice gun to have in a collection

Last edited by Maudite; 01-20-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:44 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudite View Post
An interesting rifle but one that makes the hair on the back of the neck stand up as well.Before I paid that kind of money for it I would want to eye ball the gun in person to make sure the overall craftsmanship cried mauser.One thing that makes me wonder is why would mauser make this rifle as it kind of seems as a step backwards when you already have an action that is grooved for a scope why would you produce a gun with an ungrooved action and mount a scope on it in this fashion.As most private gun ownership was banned during the war in Germany and I don t think a sporting 22would be high on anyone's priority at the time, Ibelieve it was made after the war by a talented smith with parts he had on hand(or could come up with) at the time who knows maybe for an allied soldier station for a time Germany when the country was being rebuilt.All and all it would be a nice gun to have in a collection
I tend to agree and had the same question regarding scope mounting. If one looks at the Speed book, there are several styles of very high rings that Mauser designed to allow someone to mount a scope on the receiver and still be able to have the bolt handle clear the scope ocular (and even harder, allow the safety flag to clear the scope), no small feat with the "B" action. To me, those scopes, perched cartoon-ishly high, look silly and were not conducive to proper cheek weld, so, I could see someone wanting a scope mounted forward of the receiver, Scout style, closer to the bore for better ergonomics. That's about the only reason I could see for having no grooves and mounting the scope all way out there.

TBR
Old 01-20-2020, 03:49 PM
Maudite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also after looking at the stock the gap in front of the bolt stop to me indicates more than likely a stock that was made to fit the action instead of one originally made for it.In my opinion the real value of the gun is the some of its parts, the scope and mount,rear sight, and the magazines but likeI said I would still buy it if the price was right.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:37 PM
Keswick
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
From the link above, post #19 had me more curious for obvious reasons.

Here are some more pictures, including the first below, which is one of the previous photos blown up to show the serial number, albeit not very clearly.

If this was assembled by Mauser-Werke this rear sight should have a matching serial number in several places. It appears that the rear sight has been re-blued.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:11 PM
beartrax
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MM410B

I agree with many of the opinions posted by other observers. I have a late MM410b with the pistol grip stock. The fore end shape is different than the rifle in question and it also has a check piece which is missing on the poster's rifle. I agree that the receiver is likely from a DSM 34 as all my MM410b rifles have the "high extractor" and the poster's rifle has the early low extractor on the bolt. I have seen an ES350b with the low extractor but they are very rare. I think this rifle was assembled from parts after the war.