Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:54 PM
.257wby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help with new Colt Woodsman

I just traded for a Series 3 Woodsman and it is probably one of the nicest guns I own. Unfortunately, I have gone from being very excited to pretty frustrated.

The first issue I’m having is that the rear sight bottoms out with the pistol shooting about 1.5 to 2 inches high at 25 yards. Is there anything I can do about this? The sight screw doesn’t appear to be stripped and has the little ball bearings. Just for the record,when I try to push down on the sight it doesn’t feel like it can physically go down any more—so it doesn’t appear there’s any adjustment left. I’m assuming these weren’t designed to file down the front sight?

The second issue I’m having probably isn’t necessarily specific to the Woodsman, but I’m getting what appears to be terrible leading. It was so bad there was a visible silver ring around half the circumference of the muzzle. I was shooting CCI standard velocity, Federal 36gr, and (1/2 or more of the time) CCI Blazer 38gr. Has anyone else had leading issues Woodsman’s or any advice on removing it? I tried a bush and a bore snake and there seems like there might be quite a bit left in the grooves.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:37 PM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it's shooting too high, you need a taller front sight, not shorter. I doubt you can find a taller replacement, at least not without a lot of trouble, So, you might try building it up a little with something like liquid steel or JB weld or black tinted epoxy. As for the leading, that is highly unusual. I've got some experience with rimfires, and I've never had an issue like that. Maybe some others could help with your problem,
Old 05-18-2020, 09:52 PM
johnrr65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
If it's shooting too high, you need a taller front sight, not shorter. I doubt you can find a taller replacement, at least not without a lot of trouble, So, you might try building it up a little with something like liquid steel or JB weld or black tinted epoxy. As for the leading, that is highly unusual. I've got some experience with rimfires, and I've never had an issue like that. Maybe some others could help with your problem,
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 01:15 PM
.257wby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the help, Ill probably just try to shoot slower ammo and live it it.

Not sure how to get this lead out though, especially with the fixed barrel. I guess I can get to it from behind but it just feels dicey with the rear of the frame and the little hook piece sticking up. It also concerns me to consider what kind of issues might have caused such bad leading..
Old 05-20-2020, 03:19 PM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You dont know when the po cleaned it last or how well. Was it pristine when you got it? Remove the slide and start scrubbing with a rod and a .22 brush.The lead remover cloths work great with a tight brush. Im fighting a filthy neglected bore on my T-bolt. It was my fault it got this bad. Ive got most of the lead out though, Im down to the last 6 inches.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:01 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't believe the velocity of the ammo is the causative agent. If you want to try something different, use some copper plated ammo or some a little faster.

What I would do, is get a good lead/copper solvent, a series of bore brushes and clean the barrel until there was no, zero, indication of any lead or copper still remaining.

Then examine the barrel with a bore scope if you can borrow one if you don't have one. See if you can identify an irregularities in the rifling that might be causing the leading.

I have been shooting .22s for 60 years from an old Rem. Mdl 24 made in 1925 that was my grandfathers, a 1913 Win. 1906, a Mdl 62 Win I bought in 1954, a Browning ATD ('60) and a number of CZs. Zastavas, Rossis, Henry.s and pistols over the past 20-25 years. I have not had a lead problem, but many have.

I am sure somwone more experience will chime in with some words of wisdom.

VH
Old 05-20-2020, 06:33 PM
skywag
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might be worrying too much. Shoot a box of ammo and run a bore snake with H#9 through. Don't sweat the small stuff. You can do damage with all those stiff brushes and repeated cleanings. OP of this series 3
Old 05-22-2020, 07:56 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try wetting the bore w/ Kroil-the creeper to get rid of lead. Let set overnight and the brush it good.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:30 PM
desertmoon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had the same shooting high issue with my most recent 6 inch 1974 Woodsman. Even with a replacement Elliason sight, I had to fully bottom it out but still did not gain the necessary negative elevation needed to get a good 15 yard zero. My only option will be a higher front sight.

Note that the sight securing cross pins are domed. To drive them cleanly and neatly, special cupped punches are needed. Also, it is likely a replacement blade will not be drilled. The are usually drilled upon installation.

This is a good job to send to PreWoodsman. I am considering doing this also.

As far as the bore. It is very possibly that someone used cruddy ammo that leaded up your bore.

Take off the slide and use good, new brushes and a lead solvent and clean, clean, clean that bore from the chamber end. It is likely, once you get her clean that it will stay clean if you use good quality ammo.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:45 PM
farscott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I would get the lead out of the bore and muzzle crown before trying to adjust the sights as a bore full of lead can change bullet impact. I had to do this with a S&W M17 for a friend who gave me the revolver with the words, "The rifling is gone." And that is what it looked like. It was full of lead.

The recommendation to use Kroil is a good one. A single swab moistened with Kroil should be enough to wet the bore. I like to plug the bore with a fired shell casing in the chamber and a wad of cotton in a bore guide seated in the muzzle. Let the pistol sit overnight in a place with good ventilation (I hate the smell of Kroil) and then dry patch the barrel. The lead should come out in sheets as the Kroil will get between the lead and the bore.

Once the lead is gone, I suggest a bit of CLP and then shoot the pistol to adjust the sights.