Dehumidifiers? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:21 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dehumidifiers?

In the house I've been renting for a couple of years, I have a constant problem with rust on my tools/machines and a white, kind of "frosty" looking mildew (mold?) forming here and there on a lot of stuff.

Mostly downstairs in the garage/laundry room, but also (to a lesser degree) in my closets/cabinets upstairs in the living area. Never had anything like this in the previous house I owned for ~30 years.

I thought it might be the clothes dryer leaking exhaust inside, but I've sealed it up and still have the same issue. Most of the windows are open April - October (when I'm home) and it does help, but it'll get worse now that the windows will mostly be closed until Spring.

I assume that a dehumidifier would help? Anything else I can do? I'm scrubbing rust off of steel items and wiping them with Eezox as I have time, but there's a lot of stuff I haven't gotten to.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:18 AM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When humidity is a problem you could lower the temperature setting in your AC a couple of degrees lower . Cool air will dry up the air in your home. If this is not the problem I highly recommend a product that I have personally used on tools and in my firearms. I learned about this when fishing in saltwater so I know it works.

The product is called Corrosion X HD. Specially made for marine products but works great in all my firearms. They sell one specifically for firearms but I stick to the marine one. Just spray it on the metal parts and wipe off. It is a sprayable grease which leaves a protective coating without being greasy.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CORROSION...sionX/45820267
Old 10-24-2020, 04:47 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dehumidifier makes a huge difference and is far more economical than running the AC artificially cooler.

I keep my AC at 76ºF and my dehumidifier runs from spring to fall, removes about 6-8 gallons of water per day and keeps the home at ~45-50% humidity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2020, 06:07 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I'll second the captain above me. Here in So Fla mine runs year round. Bought it at a box box home store. Empty the tank in the fountain or water the plants as needed. A huge help to air quality!
Old 10-24-2020, 07:30 AM
Trigger1212
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+3 on the dehumidifier. You are obviously dealing with high moisture and a dehumidifier will make a huge difference. If you can set it by a drain then you can use a short hose from the dehumidifier to drain and not need to constantly empty the bucket. Will run that way even when your gone.

All dehumidifiers will have a removable dust screen in front of the air intake. Most people forget about it. It should be cleaned once a week. Just pop it out and run a brush across it to knock the dust off and your good to go, take about 15 seconds. This screen catches most of the dust before it can get stuck on the evap coil. Not cleaning this screen will seriously lower the efficiency (air flow) through the machine.

Finally the white mold. The dehumidifier will held a lot with this but another problem is dead air (non moving). This allows moisture laden air to set against a surface where mold will start to grow. Cure it to put a couple small fans around an keep them running all the time. It also helps move the moist air to where the dehumidifier can reach it.

We have an old farm house with the old mortared stone foundation. In spring water will literally flow across basement floor. Moisture!

Just a vacation spot so gets shut down after Christmas. First year when we opened it in the spring there was a line about 3’ off the floor through out the whole house like you laid it out with a snap line. Above the line everything was fine. Below the line, white mold! The cure was a couple box fans at each end of the house to keep the moist cool air moving/mixed up. Fans on low. Never had another problem.

+2 on the Corossion x, good stuff!

Wade
Old 10-24-2020, 07:39 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the top 2 recommended by CR found at HD or WM. GE ADEW45LY (Walmart)
I paint sealed our basement floor and run a dehumidifier all summer here to keep the dank smell, gun rust, and mold at bay.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:58 AM
bobnoffs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have always run 2 dehumidifiers in my basement in the summer. i have 1400 sq feet and i don't think it is overkill. cooler air raises relative humidity compared to upstairs with higher temps. i also have one of those little white fans running 24/7 in the basement storage area. they pull about 15 watts. my gunsafe is down there and i have never had mold or rust in 25 yrs. so..............it works for me.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:40 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You mention downstairs. Is that area partially or mostly underground? Check your local weather to see what your dewpoint is. If the temperature downstairs is below the dewpoint temp you will have condensation on everything. I have the same problem in my basement during the summer months. It stays much cooler down there and I run a dehumidifier with a drain tube into the floor drain in the laundry room. We almost never run the central AC since we are situated in the woods....Which BTW is more humid than what the local weather says.

Not so funny story. Our basement is finished. The Mother in Law came to stay with us for a while and she liked to keep the door to the basement open while the dehumidifier was running. I tried to explain to her that we would never be able to reduce the humidity as long as moist air kept getting in the basement trough the open door. Her reply was that the dehumidifier worked so much better with the door open. Well, yeah!
Old 10-24-2020, 08:48 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Not so funny story. Our basement is finished. The Mother in Law came to stay with us for a while and she liked to keep the door to the basement open while the dehumidifier was running. I tried to explain to her that we would never be able to reduce the humidity as long as moist air kept getting in the basement trough the open door. Her reply was that the dehumidifier worked so much better with the door open. Well, yeah!
Why 2 wives is illegal in most states.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:57 AM
leenie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
al that's only two at the same time.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:01 AM
NickelPatina

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Dehumidifier makes a huge difference and is far more economical than running the AC artificially cooler.

I keep my AC at 76ºF and my dehumidifier runs from spring to fall, removes about 6-8 gallons of water per day and keeps the home at ~45-50% humidity.
An air conditioner is a de humidifier. That was what it was invented to do.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelPatina View Post
An air conditioner is a de humidifier. That was what it was invented to do.
Yes, but costs a lot more to run if you are keeping your space much cooler than it would need to be just to keep the humidity lower.

Have to set mine to 72º to get it down to 45% humidity. With the dehumidifier, I am very comfortable at 76-78º.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:24 AM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My basement was consistently close to 70% RH. Lowering the air conditioner just caused condensation on everything. I bought a Frigidare dehumidifier with a drain hose. It's quiet, and I can get the RH down to 35% if it runs nonstop, although I tend to keep it at 45%. FWIW, my basement is 1800 sq ft. The part farthest away from my workshop holds at about 5% higher than in my workshop where the humidifier is located. If you get close to choosing one, pm me and I'll get the model number. I took a week to research it, so it might help you narrow down your choices.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:21 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a moisture problem in the basement/grage of my PA home similar to yours. It was due to the mountainside wall moisture infiltration and summer heat condensation. I cured it with a 50 pint Friedrich dehumidifier that had a provision for a drain hose into the basement sink. I never had a problem with that unit and it completely cured the problem. I don't even know if Friedrich is still around but it worked great!
Old 10-24-2020, 12:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Come on people show the guy some love. This is and important subject should be more posts.