New Grips for an Old Contender - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 AM
STBE Harris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Now Central Texas who turned on the heat?
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Grips for an Old Contender

A buddy bought a pawn shop TC Contender pistol in 44 mag. He will take care of it, it looked like it had been mistreated in the past. Hate to see that beautiful TC blue from the 70's-80's get the dreaded rust rash. Internal looks very clean was a lot of oil in there, why couldn't they have put it on the outside too, pivot pin is blemish free. Anyway this thing hurts my hand to shoot it. Back in the day when I shot a little silhouette the Contender was up there in preferred pistols the shooters seemed to like Pachmyer grips. I see them on the e-net for sale are they still making ones to fit the old TC? Or does anyone have another suggestion for a recoil absorbing grip? There are so many new models. That rascal is a finger smacker in the original stock. I am going to wrap the action lever in foam and tape if we go shooting it again! Thanks STBE
Old 05-11-2015, 11:10 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only distinction you need to make when shopping for Contender grips is between the original Contender and the G2 version, which replaced it. Grip angles are different on these two, so the grips will not interchange. Otherwise, a Contender grip is a Contender grip.

Pachmayr still makes a Contender grip with finger groves, but there were also versions without the grooves, back in the day. They do work.

The later TC wood grip called the Decelerator with the rubber back is an improvement over the early grips, though it's more a matter of its round and smooth shape with no sharp edges that helps with the recoil rather than the rubber backing.

Custom grips with a wide backstrap can also be very good for negating recoil, but they need to made with recoil reduction in mind. You'll see a lot of custom grips out there that are made more with style in mind. Be careful.

As to your finger getting nabbed, if you're talking about getting bitten by the spur on the trigger guard, that's almost a rite of passage when shooting a big boomer in a Contender. Keep your left hand out of the trigger guard area. Do not use a conventional two hand grip that you would use on a revolver. Off a bag, I'll use my left hand to brace my wrist on my shooting hand, but there's plenty of different ways to grip a Contender.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:30 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
By original, do you mean the 1st model that has the raised thumb rest (extends vertical) ? In the higher velocity rounds, that one hurts me. This Pachmayr and the Decelerator T/C factory grip mentioned by rimfiregal work for me. The highest energy pistol barrel I shoot is the .44 Magnum fwiw.

I should mention also I mainly shoot offhand, not off a bench. That may be a factor as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 10:20 AM
STBE Harris

Now Central Texas who turned on the heat?
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JR n Texas

I think this one has a later original grip I don't have the pistol here to double check. It is wood. It smacks me on the front of my fingers on trigger hand. OUCH! It will mostly be shot off a bench unless I can talk him into selling it to me. I would get a smaller caliber like 357/38 and 22LR for it to shoot a lot.
Thanks. STBE
Old 05-20-2015, 05:13 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
I had forgotten about this fuzzy picture . . .

. . . the one on the bottom is the thumb shelf I was talking about above. No problem in lesser power, but above .357 Magnum - ouch! At least for me.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Kermit1945

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been through a lot of grip combos, and like this the best. All TC issue. No big bores for me any more though. I only shoot 22rf and 32-20 now.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:40 PM
JohnAcman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back when I shot the 44 and 357 Maximum a lot I had a pair of padded gloves with the fingers cut off. I got them from a place called Gemplers. Those gloves and the Pachmar grips made shooting the big bores a little easier on the hands.
Now only shoot the 22lr and 22 Hornet.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:10 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My favorite is the old Pachmayr Presentation grip.

≡✪≡

Last edited by IHMSA80x80; 01-25-2021 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:06 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
My favorite is the old Pachmayr Presentation grip.

I was reading Dean's post he wrote on 5-21-2015 and noticed that there was a missing photo.

Dean only had one photo, but to make sure I had the correct photo he posted, I posted all 4 of his Pachmayr Presentation grip photos he had in our files.

I plan to restore Dean's missing photos, as I read his posts.

Sadly, Dean passed away at 68 on Dec. 7, 2020 from Lymphoma cancer.

He'll be deeply and greatly missed, especially by me.

Marilyn [Dean's Loving Wife]

≡✪≡
Old 01-26-2021, 02:18 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAcman View Post
Back when I shot the 44 and 357 Maximum a lot I had a pair of padded gloves with the fingers cut off. I got them from a place called Gemplers. Those gloves and the Pachmar grips made shooting the big bores a little easier on the hands.
Now only shoot the 22lr and 22 Hornet.
It might be only psychological but even a leather work glove helps.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:31 PM
WadeMod

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ground down the over travel screw dimple with an oscillating sander. Problem solved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210202_192418.jpg (486.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by WadeMod; 02-02-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:21 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
. . . the one on the bottom is the thumb shelf I was talking about above. No problem in lesser power, but above .357 Magnum - ouch! At least for me.

Many years ago I used to shoot my wife's cousin's 44 mag Contender. It was the nastiest kicking thing I ever shot. At the same time I had a 3 screw Ruger Super Blackhawk and I could shoot 50 full power 44s in it no problem. After 5 in his Contender barrel (my frame) I was done! My BIL bled every time he shot the thing.

It was good fun with loads reduced to about the same level as the .45 Colt loads I shot in my 45/410 barrel. Just factory and factory level reloads hurt so bad.

I had Super 14 grips on mine at that point but it hurt even with the rubber grips later. The bad part was when the frame wacked your knuckles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 05-17-2021, 02:21 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Big Loop ?

Does anyone recall the after market "Big Loop" Contender grip? It was similar to a thumb hole grip but extended past your wrist.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:17 PM
RvrRnr
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Grips

I have a set from back in the day made by Fajen. You can get a very similar set now from Haus of Arms made by Revolution.