Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:40 AM
Jory45acp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Rim-X build almost complete

Gunsmith sent me 1st pic of this Rim-X build. IT's finally together after a wait on the stock. He's starting initial testing and soon it should be on its way to me for 1k round break in and then off to Lapua for eval. with Midas+/X-Act.
McMillian A-5 with sniper fill
Hawkins bottom metal
Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage
Benchmark 3 groove 26"
Mike Ezell PDT tuner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AOsOS8bh.jpg (167.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:52 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just out of curiosity, why the 1K round break in on a barrel that should already be lapped from the supplier?
Old 02-05-2021, 09:33 PM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like an Orkan build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2021, 10:26 PM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
Just out of curiosity, why the 1K round break in on a barrel that should already be lapped from the supplier?
Lapua asks that all rifles have a minimum 1k rds down the pie prior to test at their facility. I trust they know what they are doing and I gladly comply. 1k rds is a drop in the bucket for what this will see over a lifetime.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:31 PM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfshoon View Post
Looks like an Orkan build
You are correct sir! Greg is one of those rare on a whole other level smart/knowledgeable gun guys. I've spoken with him a few times honestly thinking my question for him would be a 10 second answer and wound up talking to him for +1 hr. He has of anyone I've spoken to in 40yrs opened my mind on how to think and look at things. When it comes to first class guys Greg is it and then some.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:00 PM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sweet! that barrel sure don't look 26" to me....
Old 02-06-2021, 01:02 PM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any particular reason the ring spacing isn't maxed out?
Old 02-06-2021, 01:26 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory45acp View Post
Lapua asks that all rifles have a minimum 1k rds down the pie prior to test at their facility. I trust they know what they are doing and I gladly comply. 1k rds is a drop in the bucket for what this will see over a lifetime.
Capstone Precision Group runs the Lapua Rimfire Testing Center and they changed their recommended break-in rounds from 1000 to 200 several months ago. I asked them specifically about this and they responded they weren't seeing significant changes in well-maintained barrels. They said they get Vudoo's new from Vudoo Labs with ACE and Bartlein barrels and have yet to have a problem. I shipped them my Vudoo with 300 rounds break-in. I requested Center-X testing. They did the testing the same day they received it and provided an extensive report on eight Center-X lots and a couple Midas+ lots. There was a few days delay in shipping back. I received my CenterX ammo about the same time as my rifle. Not much discount on a case at about $1200. The Midas+ was running about $1600 a case. I didn't check on Xact.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:01 PM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman22 View Post
Any particular reason the ring spacing isn't maxed out?
Wel seeing as this isn't my scope/rings I'm sure he mounted it as he felt best. Actually if you look at the scope, the rings are 100% max spread on the tube. That being said I'm not about to question Greg's rationale. The guy is extremely well versed shooter and knows what he's doing.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:07 PM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrayner View Post
Capstone Precision Group runs the Lapua Rimfire Testing Center and they changed their recommended break-in rounds from 1000 to 200 several months ago. I asked them specifically about this and they responded they weren't seeing significant changes in well-maintained barrels. They said they get Vudoo's new from Vudoo Labs with ACE and Bartlein barrels and have yet to have a problem. I shipped them my Vudoo with 300 rounds break-in. I requested Center-X testing. They did the testing the same day they received it and provided an extensive report on eight Center-X lots and a couple Midas+ lots. There was a few days delay in shipping back. I received my CenterX ammo about the same time as my rifle. Not much discount on a case at about $1200. The Midas+ was running about $1600 a case. I didn't check on Xact.
Good to hear, I just had an exchange of emails a week ago with Lapua and I was going with what they said and it matched my previous experiences there. My rifle is just beginning testing at Greg's range with RWS R50. Here's first 50 rd groupings.
@Jory45acp I've begun work with your rifle and the initial results are promising. Here's some pics of the first few rounds through it. Conditions were horrific, -10f -30f wind chill... swirly winds and absolutely insane mirage. Yet the rifle is showing some first class potential. It shows a liking toward a specific lot number of RWS R50 which I've reserved 2 cases of for you. For it to be shooting some little bug holes this early on with 50 rounds through it... would indicate it is really going to be a shooter when paired with the proper lot number and the tuner set in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1v8YrJ6m.jpg (21.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 94WOp1Gm.jpg (21.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg SxMK1PJh.jpg (236.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-06-2021, 09:33 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Holy cow! Why even send it to Lapua? It looks like you've found what it likes already... hard to improve on that..