597 LS HB .22 Mag - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-25-2004, 10:34 PM
CAM82

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question 597 LS HB .22 Mag

I am really intrested in buying a 597 LS HB .22 mag but I have som questions for owners of this model.

What kind of accuracey?
Does it have the same cycling problems as the LR?
Will it take down a Coyote?

Please if you own one of these please help me make the right choice before I shell out 300clams for a semi-auto...
Old 02-26-2004, 08:38 AM
elkkiller
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just picked mine up last night got it home and mounted a scope on it hope to get it out on monday to shoot.

it will work on coyotes but its no centerfire.

Gary
Old 02-26-2004, 08:51 AM
1722Magman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
597 LS HB .22 Mag

Cam82,
I let one go about a year ago, and I've been kicking myself ever since!
Mine became more accurate with more ammo run thru it. With Rem 33gr and Win 34gr it would shoot 1" at 100yds.
The only time I had feeding problems was when I'd load over 5 in the magazine. I tried one of the plastic clips and that ended up in the trash! The magazine that comes with the rifle works real good!
As far as taking coyotes with the .22 magnum, the answer to your question is yes, the mag will take coyotes. Just don't get carried away with range/ shooting too far! You usually don't get a large blood trail, so winter shooting will be easier for tracking ,if you have snow.
Put your shot behind the front shoulder, thru the slats, and collect your trophy.
I put down a large male about a month ago using the Win .34gr ammo @ 115yds. It worked just fine!!
In late January, a red fox bounced in from way across the frozen lake and took a Win 34gr pill to the chest at 50yd. Both are at the taxidermist. Both were taken with a Marlin 882ssv.
Am I going to get another 597 LS HB? YES! I miss that gun and would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a Mag!!

1722Magman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 05:25 PM
tmen52

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Send a message via AIM to tmen52
I got mine back in November,,bought 5 different types of ammo, 40gr. CCI,REM,WIN...all HP,,,33gr REM VMAX and 34gr WIN supreme. The Winchester ammo performed the best for my gun. Not that the others didn't group well,,,just not as tight,,and lower after being zeroed with Winchester.
The things you will read at this site will help alot,,these fellows know their stuff. I did the VQ trigger swap, and it made a huge difference from my original groups and I can't even consider my gun to be broke in.
I reworked the mag as per many threads I read about it, and in a rapid fire situation it still throws a jam here and there. So I just don't load to the max,,,5/6 is plenty.
Do the math on buying ammo.......some places are lower cost per box,but get you on shipping,,check out Basspro Shop,, I think they're the best... on Winchester anyway.
Hope this helps.......
Old 02-27-2004, 07:55 AM
retiredsquid
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Send a message via Yahoo to retiredsquid
I've had mine for at least two years and have yet to have a single failure with it. There is no comparison between this rifle and the POS 597 .22lr I traded for this one. Only thing other than adding the scope and sling to it was getting a VQ hammer and installing it.
Rich
Old 02-27-2004, 05:14 PM
ttins2475

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
597 HB LS

I got mine about a month ago. I have tried seveal types of ammo, and it likes the 33 gr. Remingon Preimers, but it shoots the cheaper Winchester Super X 40gr almost as well. Less than 1" moa at 100 yrds. has been no problem and the only ammo that didn't eject well were the Winchester Dynapoints. I bought the Voquartsen target hammer and that lowered the trigger to about 2 1/2 lbs. but it still has a little more creep than I like. I haven't taken it Coyote hunting yet, but a rabbit doesn't have chance at 80 yrds. I am hoping someone will come out with a reasonably priced .17 hmr barrel. I like the .22 mag round, but would like the extra range of the .17 this spring for prairie dogs.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:44 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
hi guys. am thinking of getting a 597 mag. can someone explain what the LS HB, etc stand for? thanks

Old 03-12-2004, 03:06 PM
ttins2475

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
597 LS HB .22 Mag

LS is Laminate Stock and HB is Heavy Barrel
Old 03-12-2004, 07:33 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
well duuuuuh. i should've figured that out. thanks ttins2475