Take Down Wood Stocks - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 PM
jrkull

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

For the hours of work involved and the lousy $30 bucks after shipping it back that I get, and the couple bounced checks I've gotten, it's not worth the hassle. I started because it was fun and thought I was helping people out but after all the headaches, it's just not worth it. People trying to take advantage of me has taken the fun out of it completely. I do them only for friends and people I know anymore. There are lots of others making them now. I'm pulling 12 hr shifts at my day job and can't do 8 a week anymore anyway. Thanks for the interest...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 PM
EndlessFields

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkull View Post
For the hours of work involved and the lousy $30 bucks after shipping it back that I get, and the couple bounced checks I've gotten, it's not worth the hassle. I started because it was fun and thought I was helping people out but after all the headaches, it's just not worth it. People trying to take advantage of me has taken the fun out of it completely. I do them only for friends and people I know anymore. There are lots of others making them now. I'm pulling 12 hr shifts at my day job and can't do 8 a week anymore anyway. Thanks for the interest...
Really sorry to hear that so many lousy people tried to exploit your generosity like that. Fully understand your decision. For what it's worth they look amazing to me. Life comes first.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:31 AM
bigfatdave
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkull View Post
THAT is a pile of crap
The scumbags who pulled a trick like that should be ashamed, how about you post their user names and real names here, in an easily searchable format?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Ron 1738
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdave View Post
THAT is a pile of crap
The scumbags who pulled a trick like that should be ashamed, how about you post their user names and real names here, in an easily searchable format?
X2

Ron
Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Steve_In_29
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdave View Post
THAT is a pile of crap
Agreed. If they weren't embarrassed about sending a check that would bounce, they shouldn't mind at all getting their names published either.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:49 PM
stupah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, i finally got me a spare wood stock but it looks like i'm late to the party.

Jrkull, have you considered putting together an instruction pamphlet with dimensions and pictures on how you do that? Heck, i'd even take a cocktaill napkin sketch and a 'good luck'. I don't have any special wood working tools but i'm going to attempt to make one of my own. Any help appreciated.

If you're not the publishing type just get me the details and guide me through the process, i can make a saleable set of do-it-yourself instructions that could add value for both of us. 50/50 deal on net proceeds and no woodworking required on your end up front.

Of course i don't expect you to send until funds clear. What will that cost me?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Flyer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Stupah, I was inspired by jrkull's initial posting and discussed via PM sending him a stock, but money was short so I decided I'd try it myself with a beater stock I had on hand. I did it with basic hand tools. I also stripped it to deal with some blemishes in the stock I acquired. If this interests you PM me.

Some details here https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=455538

and here https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=457485
Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 AM
jrkull

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The warning to start is that all stocks are a little different, millions were probably made on the same machines for years so measure lots of times before you cut.
From the rear most edge of the brass collet for the mounting go forward 13/16 and thats where you cut the stock in half. On the receiver end you need to clearance it 5/16 back toward the mounting screw for the new shape on your fresh cut end. You want the receiver end done and assembled first.
On the forearm from your fresh cut 2 and 5/16 is the mounting hole, and from 5/8 to 15/16 is the slot for the lever. On the inside the square groove you need to make is 1/2 wide, and depth is different every time, so go slow and check constantly.
That's about it.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:23 AM
stupah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks both of you for the tips and links. I am going go about this slowly, some travel for work coming up. Right now the stock is sitting on the bench and i'm beginning the long process of psyching it out and making it believe it was destined to be a takedown, visualizing success type thing. Wood has a personality so i'm trying to get to know it better and hope it don't split on me.

I have another .22, marlin 70hc that refuses not to shoot anything, old rusty old trusty, i'm going to refinish that stock while i'm working on this one too.

What did you guys use to make the big first cut in half? I have a cordless circular saw and a good grip but maybe that's a little ambitious? Hand saw? Friend with band saw? How much material can be lost in the width of the cut without negatively affecting outcome?
Old 07-22-2012, 05:09 PM
jrkull

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used a compound miter saw with a fresh blade. Width of the cut isn't a concern.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Flyer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
"The warning to start is that all stocks are a little different, millions were probably made on the same machines for years so measure lots of times before you cut."

I agree with jrkull, about the above statement. The first TD I had (which a friend now owns) is what I used to 'fit and try, fit and try etc.' to make the wood stock. When it went to its new home, the second TD and the wood stock needed a bit of coaxing to mate properly.

And I used a jig saw to make the first cut. I too spent a long time (about a week) psyching it, and myself, into making that cut... Judging by results the psyching and visualizing worked.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:38 PM
TheCapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just finished up the receiver side of my Takedown stock. I made the big cut with a 10" compound miter saw with a brand new 60 tooth blade. The cut was smooth, and I feel I'm on the right track.

Lacking my Dremel for some odd reason (I cannot find it for the life of me), I made all of the cuts in the receiver end of the stock with some wood chisels. The receiver fits great, and I could not be happier with how this is turning out.

Tomorrow I'll work out how I am going to get the bulk of the wood out of the barrel end of the stock without a drill press.

A big thank you to everyone who did this before me for the inspiration...I am taking pictures all along the way so hopefully I can put together a step by step. Problem is, as it was mentioned before, every stock is different.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:21 PM
stupah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapt View Post
Lacking my Dremel for some odd reason (I cannot find it for the life of me)
Have you checked by where you last remember seeing your car keys? That's always a good place to start.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 PM
TheCapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupah View Post
Have you checked by where you last remember seeing your car keys? That's always a good place to start.
I wish it were that easy...I have a bad habit of leaving my tools out, and my girlfriend has a bad habit of trying to put them away for me. As soon as I'm done with this project I'm sure we will find it in some random cupboard or box somewhere.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 PM
stupah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapt View Post
I wish it were that easy...I have a bad habit of leaving my tools out, and my girlfriend has a bad habit of trying to put them away for me. As soon as I'm done with this project I'm sure we will find it in some random cupboard or box somewhere.
Have you tried talking to your girlfriend about it? Just ask her where she likes to hide your tools and watch which way her eyes flick. You'll find it somewhere i'm sure.