Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:42 PM
Jhoss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hey Bunt...,
Fenix has the info on page 6 of this Thread.
Jhoss
Old 08-10-2016, 10:17 PM
buntingmiester
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
rem. 552 club

thanks Hoss!............buntingmiester
Old 11-20-2016, 10:27 PM
oink

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess I should join if this is still active. I have a BDL I bought new in 80. At least I think my date code indicates 80 and that sounds about right to my memory. I can't even remember where I bought it. I was in St. Louis at the time so it was probably Grandpa Pigeon's on the Rock Road or Lucky's Liquor in St. Charles. It's been a pretty good rifle and I've shot it quite a bit over the years. It has always hat the occasional failure to fire since new but I never went to great effort to resolve the problem. On the cartridges that fail to fire, they show a fairly good primer hit but apparently not hard enough. They generally fire on a second try. The firing pin moves freely. I was just looking at it and I'm wondering if the firing pin might be a little short. Oh well.

Last edited by oink; 11-20-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016, 10:20 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink probably an ammo problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
I guess I should join if this is still active. I have a BDL I bought new in 80. At least I think my date code indicates 80 and that sounds about right to my memory. I can't even remember where I bought it. I was in St. Louis at the time so it was probably Grandpa Pigeon's on the Rock Road or Lucky's Liquor in St. Charles. It's been a pretty good rifle and I've shot it quite a bit over the years. It has always hat the occasional failure to fire since new but I never went to great effort to resolve the problem. On the cartridges that fail to fire, they show a fairly good primer hit but apparently not hard enough. They generally fire on a second try. The firing pin moves freely. I was just looking at it and I'm wondering if the firing pin might be a little short. Oh well.
I wouldn't worry about it, my 552 and 2 572s do the same thing once in a while. when a round fires on the second hit it is a primer problem with the ammo. sometimes the primer material doesn't reach the correct place in the rim. what ammo gives you problems? just always be sure the firing pin moves freely, I always put a tiny drop of oil on mine. a friend recently bought a 1970s vintage 552 that he got real cheap because the guy selling it said it was "broken". translate that to DIRTY!! when you pulled the trigger there was a second or two delay before the round fired! a 2 hour scrubbing fixed it 100%.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:16 PM
oink

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It does it on any brand of ammo and always has, even after being fully cleaned. Yesterday I did a little polishing to it. I also took a file to the inside of the bolt face where the hammer strikes. I was leery of removing too much metal but that area of the bolt is so hard the file had little effect. It might even be harder than my files. If I took any measurable amount off it would be negligible. If I at least polished it down a little it might make the difference. It isn't measurable with my HF caliper but it is a little shinier. We'll see. The hammer end of the firing pin looks like a bit of a crappy stamping like maybe the die was dull when they punched it out so I'm wondering if the firing pin is just a smidge short. Pressed all of the way in from the cartridge end it does just barely, and I mean barely, protrude from the bolt. Neither my 77/22, my Remington 512 or even my Marlin 25 ever have failure to fires. I don't think my 10/22 does either although it does have the occasional failure to feed.

Last edited by oink; 11-21-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:31 PM
E1957T

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
It does it on any brand of ammo and always has, even after being fully cleaned. Yesterday I did a little polishing to it. I also took a file to the inside of the bolt face where the hammer strikes. I was leery of removing too much metal but that area of the bolt is so hard the file had little effect. It might even be harder than my files. If I took any measurable amount off it would be negligible. If I at least polished it down a little it might make the difference. It isn't measurable with my HF caliper but it is a little shinier. We'll see. The hammer end of the firing pin looks like a bit of a crappy stamping like maybe the die was dull when they punched it out so I'm wondering if the firing pin is just a smidge short. Pressed all of the way in from the cartridge end it does just barely, and I mean barely, protrude from the bolt. Neither my 77/22, my Remington 512 or even my Marlin 25 ever have failure to fires. I don't think my 10/22 does either although it does have the occasional failure to feed.
Why don't you just get a new firing pin? They aren't real expensive and they are easy to change.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:17 PM
oink

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will if what I did didn't resolve it. If you get your's apart anytime soon measure the pin for me if you don't mind. The hole for the pin holding the firing pin in, which has never been removed, appears to have been filled in with a sloppy blob of steel (weld?) on one side. I also assume that is the side it comes out from. Drill it out or expect it to come out when driven from the other side?

Update: A fairly short test indicates I may have resolved the FTF issue.

Last edited by oink; 11-24-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:08 PM
BusMaster007

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up So...now it's gong to be 2017...

I'm only one year late in getting the 552!
Got a quote from a range north of here and that's where I intend to get a new 552.
Looking forward to this purchase.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:16 PM
ssloan47
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sick 552

I have a Remington 552 that was neglected for many years. I cleaned it thoroughly and replaced a damaged bolt assembly(including extractor, extractor spring, spring seat and firing pin. I loaded 3 rounds of 22lr sv. I manually charged the first round and it loaded fine. I pulled the trigger and the first round fired and ejected fine. I pulled the trigger again and nothing. No bang, no click nada. I manually operated the bolt and the second round ejected unmarked. A third round loaded and fired fine. This happens every time. If I manually operate the bolt, it fires. Auto-fed rounds don't even click. Paying a gunsmith or replacing parts willie nillie are cost prohibitive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssloan47 View Post
I have a Remington 552 that was neglected for many years. I cleaned it thoroughly and replaced a damaged bolt assembly(including extractor, extractor spring, spring seat and firing pin. I loaded 3 rounds of 22lr sv. I manually charged the first round and it loaded fine. I pulled the trigger and the first round fired and ejected fine. I pulled the trigger again and nothing. No bang, no click nada. I manually operated the bolt and the second round ejected unmarked. A third round loaded and fired fine. This happens every time. If I manually operate the bolt, it fires. Auto-fed rounds don't even click. Paying a gunsmith or replacing parts willie nillie are cost prohibitive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I believe re-assembly of the trigger group may be incorrect. I experienced the same symptoms after incorrect assembly. There are two levers on the left side of the trigger assembly. Be sure that the longer arm (disconnector) attaching toward the front is below the shorter arm (connector) that attaches to the rear. These levers reside just above the front of the trigger guard, just behind the hammer.

Last edited by Bradical; 01-05-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:41 AM
ssloan47
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You hit the nail square on the head. Thank you. After changing those positions, I took it the range for THE TEST. Fired the whole magazine one after the other. SWEET
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 552 Trigger Group.jpg (624.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-17-2017, 07:44 PM
oldcoot61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 552 club

Fellows, I don't have a 552, but I've got a 550-1 which isn't too far off..
Whatcha think ?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:02 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
oldcoot61...that's a horse of a slightly different color. The 550-1 is an earlier Remington design. I don't have one of those but like all firearms in this forum, I'm sure it has its share of fans. I know that it's heavier than the 552 but that's about it.

Purchased my 552 ADL for $170 on GB that was made in September 1972. When I finally got my hands on it I found that the barrel takedown screw was cross threaded. After finally getting it out I had the opportunity to clean one of the dirtiest .22 rimfire rifles I've ever encountered. Although it did function, the receiver and all the internal parts were virtually packed with powder residue & lead & brass shavings. Once cleaned, though, it functions like a champ with that great click-klack sound. The trigger will not win any prizes but it sure is a great plinking rifle! I enjoyed this rifle so much that I bought a 572 ADL of similar vintage (May 1976) that make quite a handsome pair!

Last edited by aqbill; 04-06-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:40 PM
lvtwentytwo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Folks.

Just picked up a 1966 Rem 552 w/o checkered stock. Could anyone tell me what kind of wood it is? Looks really dark brown, probably from handling. My first guess is walnut, but I've heard they also made them in "hard wood" whatever that means.

Help
Old 02-23-2017, 02:42 PM
lvtwentytwo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
oldcoot61,

Just finished a rebuild on a 550-1. Wonderful guns!