Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:00 PM
woodsloafer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question J-Frame Holster

'Need a little help in locating a suitable holster.
I have both a 2" and a 3" barrel Smith J frame revolvers. I like to carry one or the other when I'm deer hunting here in upstate New York.
When I carry on my pants belt, the holster is under my parka, fleece top and pack waist belt.
If I carry in a shoulder holster, it's even tougher to get at.
An open top holster on my pack belt gets wet and/or snow covered and I've had the experience of scratching my scope eyepiece on the exposed hammer while dragging out a deer.
Does anyone out there know of holster(s) with a flap to protect the revolver?
The Bianchi UM-84R is fine for my model 18 and 19, but way too large for the J's.
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
epsaddlery makes a flap holster.I'm guessing that at least one of your guns is a 317,any holstering will be rough on the finish.I have both a 2" and 4" model 34-my thought about taking them afield(doubt if I will ever have the chance(but upstate New York is where I would go) would be to just use a "borestore "and put it in a jacket pocket.(also had the thought to use a borestore combined with my 4" k frame flap holster,but haven't tried the fit yet.)
Old 03-22-2006, 07:11 PM
bastogne71
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might consider the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for the 2". It's designed to be carried in your front pants pocket but I've found it works very well in a parka cargo pocket as well. The flat bottom keeps the pistol upright, the trigger is covered, and the pistol is protected from lint & dirt. Cost under $20.
It's not a retaining type holster - the pistol will fall out if turned upside down. I don't think they make one for the 3" J frame. Take a look here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Pocket holsters are a good flexable alternitive. BTW, Not all J frames will fit in a "J frame " Holster. The newer J frames are upsized and don't fit well in many older holsters. Also mod 34's & 63's (discontinued .22 J frames) may have hight front blade sights that don't fit into some holstrs either. Lastly centenial and body guard type frames may give you grief too.

i.e. Make sure the holster you buy is made for that modle or can be returned.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Hammer Down
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink Pocket holster for a-J-frame, THAT works

Hello
I have used Mikas pocket holster for a long time. It is the best alternative to high priced rig's that seem to do the same thing for alot LESS money. I also Noticed you speak of a model 18 Revolver? If this is a S&W wheelgun it is a .22 caliber and is NOT allowed afield during ANY NewYork, Big Game hunting season and I would advise against carrying one as well during this time. I also saw your address is Oregon, but you made reference to hunting Deer in Up-State NewYork ? I know they do not share reciprocey carry rights either with Oregon, and I sure would NOT want to be caught in NewYork, if I was an out of State resident with ANY handgun in the field. Just a thought, and here is a link to mika. I hope this helps, HammerDown
http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/prodnfo.html
Old 03-23-2006, 07:51 PM
woodsloafer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies.
I've pretty well ruled out the pocket carry, so my next step is to start with an open top holster and add my own flap arrangement.
Regarding carrying a .22 rimfire handgun, New York State DOC regulations stipulate that rimfires may not be used for taking big game (deer and bear), but does not prohibit carrying while afield, with one exception. When bow hunting, no firearm of any kind is permitted.
I live in upstate and do have a New York pistol permit.

"There is nothing so frightening as ignorance in action."
Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Hammer Down

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsloafer
Regarding carrying a .22 rimfire handgun, New York State DOC regulations stipulate that rimfires may not be used for taking big game (deer and bear), but does not prohibit carrying while afield, with one exception. When bow hunting,

Hello
I moved away in 2000 but spent 42 Years there, and was told by a local Conservation officer, in the small southern tier Town I lived in, that any caliber UNDER .35 which would mean common handgun caliber's like a .357-.38 or.35 Thompson center fire single shot super 14 which I killed deer with were all right to have and hunt deer with. anything smaller than .35 Caliber like a .22 Caliber, was forbiden afield "DURING" Deer season. He may have made this up, BUT I did NOT press his patience and want to chance loosing the carry permit I had as well. Hammerdown

Last edited by Hammer Down; 03-23-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Ron Hoff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have a similar rule here but it pertains to non hunters. If you are out and about during deer season and have a rifle or pistol and no deer permit, the gun has to be a rimfire. You can't get caught with a centerfire if it is deer season and you don't have a permit.

They don't really address the issue of carrying something else unless it is something that you are using to hunt the deer with. Then it has to have so much energy, etc.

My concern about just putting the j frame in the pocket is then it becomes concealed and unless you have a conceal carry permit, that is illegal. Even if it is in a holster on a belt and you have it covered with a coat, it becomes a concealed weapon. I have a 4" model 34 and have been looking for a holster for it as well, to no avail. It gets lost in the holster I have for my model 18.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Forgive my ignorance as a suburban New Yorker-I have never had the op to shoot outside of a range.As a pistol license holder,can I be afield upstate with a holstered or backpacked .22 pistol when it is not hunting season? I would just like to find a place where I can hike and do some plinking along the way,safely,legally,not bothering residents or livestock,etc.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:17 AM
spence

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Camster,

The answer to your question, in true NY fashion is depends. If your permit is stamped target shooting and collecting, then no. If it is stamped hunting, then yes only if there is a hunting season open and you are carrying a valid hunting license and in a caliber that can be used for such game. Unless, as stated above, you are bowhunting, then no handgun can be carried regardless of caliber. I asked because I wanted to bowhunt, then check my traps on the way out of the woods, but was told I was not able to carry my .22 while bowhunting. If you have no restrictions on your license, then you can take it in the woods with you. I am not a lawyer, police officer, judge or anything like that. You should probably double check my answers before you head out in the field.

Spence
Old 03-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Spence,Thank you for the reply.Mine is a target permit so I won't do anything to risk it.I have a Browning ATD rifle in .22 short,guess that will be the plinker when I got the op.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:15 PM
woodsloafer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New York State DEC Regs.

Hammer Down,
There have been changes since 2000. At that time, regs stipulated mimimum of .35 caliber, centerfire and minimum 4" barrel length.
Now, you can take big game (deer and bear) in firearm areas with any centerfire handgun:
Barrel under 16"
No minimum barrel length
No caliber restrictions
Autoloaders maximum six shot, except with a barrel lenght less than 8"
No rimfires
My neighbor takes deer with with a Thompson Center 14" barrelled 7mm-08, but he could just as legally hunt with a .25 ACP with a 2 1/2" barrel. Note that our area prohibits rifles, but allows shotguns with slugs or sabots.
There is no prohibition on carrying a rimfire handgun, except bow hunting during bow only season. Just don't take your deer with it.
You got to love our DEC!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Hammer Down

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink

Wodsloafer
I was begining to think C.R.S. Was taking over!! I KNEW back then NO .22 Rimefires afield during Big game Season. Handgun hunting WAS allowed but the caliber was as stated .35 and Above.. Thanks for the update. Hammerdown
Old 03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
ronnie_d

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Holster source ...

Hi Mr. Loafer

Try http://www.cowboyneeds.com/Holsters_...J_Frame-3.html

They seem to have a good variety of holsters for all sizes of J-frame Smith & Wesson revolvers.

Ron