Shrink Pack Recommendations - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:02 PM
TOMBECK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Shrink Pack Recommendations

I am thinking about buying a shrink pack machine (and supplies) to use in freezing processed venison. Would apreciate any recommendations or products to stay away from. we have a literal "kitchen table" process but may run thru 15 to 30 deer per year. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:14 PM
shtrdave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I have one of the Foodsaver Brands Not the top of the line one but the next one down. Not sure of the model. I like it, but wish I would have opted for a more commercial type, that uses the heavy clear plastic. The foodsaver almost needs foodsaver brand bags to work propperly. And sometimes they are a PITA as they won't seal and hold a nice vacuum if there is moisture present at the seem.

Here are a few.

Allied Kenco

Sausage maker

lem

Cabela's
Old 12-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Gillie Dog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Foodsaver also and have the same fail to seal once in a great while and the bag material is not cheap. Target, Wal Mart and Costco have the material now though.

That said Foodsaver is probably the best out there for the price, works well and you still save buy purchasing at the warehouse stores and packaging yourself. We were lucky because they were "disposing" of some at work so I got a good one for free and replaced the very old, first generation, one we had even though it was still working fine.

I have done Pheasants, Doves and whole fish with it very sucessfully.

Commercial one would be great but the price and size sure keep me away.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2005, 07:39 PM
TOMBECK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Thanks for thoughts and concerns. Sounds as if worth while, but not foolproof.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:33 AM
oldlib
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Question Home made bologna?

At the "Sausage Maker" link supplied by shtrdave, above, there's a spice kit for making your own bologna. That shouldn't surprise me, but it did. From past experience with home made vs commercial I'd guess the DIY stuff (pun alert) to be pretty good. I remember bologna "back in the day" tasting better than it does now, but that could easily be just nostalgia.
Anybody actually made their own bologna? Or tasted it made by someone else?
oldlib
Old 12-04-2005, 12:41 PM
shtrdave

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Most of the bologna that you will make at home, will be a courser product, similar to Lebanon Bologna or salami. Unless you have the griding equipment to grind in very fine.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:48 PM
oldlib
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thumbs up Love them Amish!

Here's an Amish recipe I Googled. It's a small enough (3lbs) batch size, and simple enough, that I could experiment with. I could puree some in my blender to see what that would be like. Maybe some cracked peppercorns? Make it into wieners? I'll need some casings
I'm gonna try it, methinks.
Thanks, shtrdave, for the encouragement.
oldlib
Old 12-04-2005, 09:20 PM
shtrdave

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
That looks like a good starting point. I would probably up the garlic to equal the onion, and the same amount of blacl pepper, maybe some mustard seed and chilli powder.

The courseness of the finished product will be determined by the grind of the meat at the start. Casings depend on what you are looking for in a finished product, if you are stuffing this mixture, stuff imediately after mixing everything, as the mixture will get stiff quickly, and be difficult to stuff, especially into a smaller 22mm casing, which would be about the same size as a hot dog casing.

If you are going to try to smooth out the store bought burger grind, I would suggest a food processor over the blender.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 AM
cvedrick
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlib
I remember bologna "back in the day" tasting better than it does now, but that could easily be just nostalgia.
oldlib
I remember when the chocolate coating on Carnation breakfast bars changed in the early eighties. No longer worth eating. Bologna changing should not suprise me, but then again, back then, I did not smoke, drink, or eat lots of spicey foods.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:09 PM
oldlib
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shtrdave
If you are going to try to smooth out the store bought burger grind, I would suggest a food processor over the blender.
I believe that, but I have a blender and not (yet) a FP. I'm just playing, so I'l try a small amount. My blender is a KitchenAid, and pretty powerful. I'm looking to get the kind of casings that were on the old fashoned wieners. I like the "pop" when you eat them, anf the spices don't wash out as much. You can still buy them.
oldlib
Old 12-05-2005, 07:25 PM
oldlib
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Talking No wonder we're all so fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvedrick
I remember when the chocolate coating on Carnation breakfast bars changed in the early eighties. No longer worth eating. Bologna changing should not suprise me, but then again, back then, I did not smoke, drink, or eat lots of spicey foods.
Yeah, bologna used to have a rind, not plastic, which us kids would pull off and eat. I think it was just the skin formed while the bologna was cooking. It wasn't casing, like on wieners. Carnation breakfast bars, IIRC, are what started the take-with-you breakfast craze. And, of course, Carnation instant breakfast which you added to milk.
BTW; we actually did eat fried bologna. The butcher would slice it extra thick. Fried bologna sandwiches with mayo and/or catsup on cheap white "balloon" bread and french fries. A 1/2 gal brick of neopolitan ice milk for dessert. That's "payday food" when you're poor.
oldlib
Old 12-05-2005, 08:49 PM
shtrdave

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I still fry bologna. Had some just the other day, Have a chunk in the fridge that was going to be hollowed and filled with sauce and things and replugged thrown in the smoker for a while.

If you are looking for natural casings you would want sheep casings. hog casing will give you something in the size of bratwurst or sausage size.