Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Scored a 1963 Bearcat today

4K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  CaseXX3screwgtms 
#1 · (Edited)
Title says all. Scored a decent shape 1963 Bearcat today that I wasn't expecting.

Buddy of mine is an avid cyclist. He tells me yesterday the bike mechanic at the shop he frequents was trying to sell some gun stuff. Always interested in a possible good deal I had him take me up there today to talk to the man. He says come back this afternoon and he will go get the stuff at lunch. Winds up being mostly ammo, shooting accessories etc...... Then this lil guy came out of the bag.

As soon as I had this in my hand I knew it had to come home with me. For $200 bucks I'd be kicking myself later when I regretted not snagging it so I pounced.

Doing a quick look on gun broker when I got home realized I scored a pretty good deal. Very few older ones in similar condition and nowhere near this price. Most are the much newer ones with the transfer bar actions. I'm happy. Sadly sounds like I missed the boat on a nice 10/22 he also had but already gone by the time I was aware of it. Oh well.

Thanks for reading. J

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys. Tore it down and cleaned it up this morning. Internals were really dry but have slicked up with a liberal amount of CLP. Cycles really smooth now. Bright shiny bore. Just minimal holster wear in all the right spots. I'd say 95 percent finish overall. Love the way the barrel bluing has turned that brown purple color after 50 plus years. Appears this one was taken well care of. Definitely used but not abused. Should prove to be a good shooter and will be perfect to start teaching my 8 and 10 yr old niece and nephew soon. Now the hunt for some left hand holster options. Wish me luck.

#5 ·
The Triple K sold through Ruger is nice. Thumb snap style. I have the RH version for my Bearcats.

http://shopruger.com/Bearcat-Triple-K-Belt-Holster-LH-4-Barrel/productinfo/50207/

This is an eBay vendor that has access to Triple K seconds. They just happen to have a batch of LH models now. They have an unattractive overstamp on the front, but less than half the usual Triple K price. I bought one of their overstamped models for my SP-101, and it's fine except the looks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIPLE-K-1...CAT-REVOLVER-FACTORY-BLEMISH-LH-/132345536913

If you want a more western style that still uses a regular belt. This company has a good rep, but I've never seen one of their holsters myself. Reasonable price, LH available, and says he usually has some ready to ship.

http://www.leathercreekholsters.com/Ruger_Bearcat_Holsters.html

I also use a Hunter Model 1100, but they dropped the LH version a while back.

#13 ·

Thanks all for the replies. Took it out today along with my .22lr AR15 upper. Fun times ringing the steel plates.

Also appreciate the links to some different holster options. I'm also considering contacting a couple of custom leather makers and seeing about having something made up in left hand. I'll let ya'll know what I wind up with.

Cheers from Texas.
J

#14 · (Edited)

Thanks to fellow member gmanofsteel I now have an old Hunter in lefthand specifically for a bearcat.

He actually offered this to me via PM a few months ago but I have been uber busy. Had not logged into these forums for a while now. When I finally saw the message and replied he promptly said its yours and immediately mailed it.

Thank you sir, it will be put to good usage and is very much appreciated.

#17 ·
I purchased a Bearcat in Prineville, Or in the summer of 1960 for the princely sum of $40 + tax. It was my constant companion while cruising timber on the Ochoco. Numerous porcupines nibbled on their last ponderosa pine that summer. A few years later it was with me on the Flathead. In the fall of the year fool hens, ruffed grouse and an occasional blue grouse were taken for supper.

I went back to grad school in the fall of '65. I had lost the cylinder pin during the summer. The pack frame pressed against my holster and the pin fell out the bottom. So, I left the gun at my family home before I left for MU. A few months later I was home on a long weekend and couldn't find my Bearcat. One of my brother's sticky fingered friends found it in the book case. :grr: So ended my Bearcat.

In 2014 I found a new model Bearcat made in 2008. It looks similar, but it doesn't shoot near as good as my old one and I miss the brass trigger guard.:mad:

VH :eek:man:

#18 ·
Very nice set-up! A Bearcat was my first handgun -- I bought it used from a friend for $75. That was in 1964! I put A LOT of ammo through that thing. It was sweet. I wish I still had it, but I later fell in love with a Sako Forester in .243 Win. and given that money was tight then, the Bearcat was traded as a downpayment. Sigh...

Many years later, when Ruger brought out the "new" Bearcat with interchangeable cylinders for .22LR and .22WMR, I bought one. It was a huge disappointment. The timing was terrible and it spit lead very badly. I sent it back to Ruger to be repaired and they never returned it as they decided to discontinue that model. Apparently my problems with it weren't unique. I think they offered me a Ruger Mark II as a replacement. Didn't keep that one very long.

Anyway, I envy you your find -- it brings back fond memories. :) Geez, I might just try one again soon, but it may not be quite the same.

Good luck with yours.

Doug

#20 ·
My parents bought me a new Bearcat for Christmas 1961. I think it was $37 new. My father received a Colt 125 anniversary single action army as a surprise from Mom. I took the Ruger camping with the family that year. In those days California was pristine wilderness and the old log cabins in the Faith, Hope and Charity valleys still had the greased paper windows on them. I plugged a badger with the Bearcat and I loved that little pistol. We used 22shorts a lot because they were .52 a box and long rifles were .72 a box. So a buck bought 2 boxes. It was really accurate and reliable. A well made piece. Sold it when I was drafted in 1965 and heading to Vietnam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.