BX22 trigger job - night and day difference! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:30 PM
DMS_1970

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BX22 trigger job - night and day difference!

I did every step of a trigger job on my factory trigger, polish all surfaces, reduce the sear engagement step on the hammer, jb weld on the disconnector, polished/radiused the bolt, everything was smooth as butter. I was happy to see how far I could take it, but in the end wanted to try something better.

Today I bought a BX trigger. My first impression was, oh %%%%, another hunk cheap plastic. I looked for theads on improving the BX and didn’t see any. I did find a great video called “Ruger bx trigger internals VS stock trigger” that showed both disassembled and what parts are common. I stripped it down exactly the same way, the only difference is that it does not require a slave pin to reassemble. I polished all of the connecting surfaces and the hammer face, the pins that the hammer and trigger rotate on, surfaces of the sear. Polished and radiused the button on the trigger plunger. I didn’t really remove any material, the sear engagement is the same.

I don’t have a trigger pull gage, but the results are a night and day improvement. The pull is lighter and crisper buy a good margin. After seeing the guts of both assemblies, even though both are plastic, the BX is made from higher quality materials, the fit and finish are superior. On the factory trigger, there are greater clearances on all the parts, the trigger flexes, and everything feels like mush under load. Anyone that has done a trigger job would be impressed with the same effort on the BX. I considered a kid or volquartsen hammer, without going drop in, you would still have the same mushy feel in the parts. I know brimstone is tuning these triggers, but I love to do things myself.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:51 PM
Beastly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Haven't taken the plunge just yet, but have been giving picking up a BX some serious consideration! Thanks for the write up!
Old 01-10-2022, 08:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Our BX (un-modified) vs stock was a massive improvement but Brimstone can do great things to make it "better". We were one of the last to get in on CPC's full "tune up" which includes the stock trigger group. I am waiting to shoot that back-to-back with the BX before sending it in. According to posts here, the stock group re-worked should be a bit better than a stock BX. Every one is different, but I want to try it before sending it off.

My daughter was gone most of the year so I've not had a chance to test stuff. I have a local indoor range but it's only 25yds and that doesn't tell us anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2022, 07:21 PM
TomSmith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any photos or videos on this trigger job?
Old 01-15-2022, 07:59 PM
DMS_1970

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSmith View Post
Any photos or videos on this trigger job?
No, but itís exactly like the trigger jobs posted in detail on here, except I did not remove any real material from the sear locking step on the hammer.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:39 PM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Trigger comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Our BX (un-modified) vs stock was a massive improvement but Brimstone can do great things to make it "better". We were one of the last to get in on CPC's full "tune up" which includes the stock trigger group. I am waiting to shoot that back-to-back with the BX before sending it in. According to posts here, the stock group re-worked should be a bit better than a stock BX. Every one is different, but I want to try it before sending it off.

My daughter was gone most of the year so I've not had a chance to test stuff. I have a local indoor range but it's only 25yds and that doesn't tell us anything.
For testing or comparing your triggers, the distance really shouldn't make a difference. For ammo testing, it's another story. Hope you find the trigger you are wanting.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:28 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Im sure your diy trigger job is great.

But if you really want to bring out the best in a bx , brimstones, trigger job is the way to go. If you want to still diy , you can order the trigger , and return spring kit from them, and install yourself. They send the kit to do it with.

For some reason, The Ruger return spring sits in an angled hole , and that means that the pushback / reset action cant ever really be consistent. Plus there is always gonna be over travel.

Brimstone solves that with the return spring mounted on the trigger , and gives you a real overtravel stop screw.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brimstone hasn't had the BX available for close to a year now. If they had, I would have ordered another with their mods while our action was @ CPC.

It appears they've even removed it from their web site completely now. Talking about the actual trigger group.

When/if I can finally get around to testing, I'll send ours in for their magic.

.. and, yes, it's ammo testing but also the trigger makes a huge difference for me even at close range. I'm not particular good, my daughter is much better. I can, however, shoot much better groups with the BX we have vs a stock trigger at any range, regardless of ammo. I shoot her G17 better than my XD (our match pistols) - the G17 has a professionally modified trigger, I worked on my XD myself.

Like I said, I'm not much good, but a nice trigger makes me a bit better.